Toronto John Innes Recreation Centre & Moss Park Arena Revitalization | 21.35m | 4s | City of Toronto | MJMA

Interesting tidbit: Kew Gardens has both clay and hard surface courts.

The general public is allowed access to the hard surface courts at certain times but clay is members only due to dress code (shoe) enforcement. Apparently the wrong shoes can create hours of maintenance work.
Indeed - those are the best courts in the city.

@ShonTron is likely still hiding all the renders for the park; but the community centre renders are about now, or at least a couple are.......

1680294760997.png

Taken from: https://media.blogto.com/uploads/20....jpg?w=1400&cmd=resize&height=2500&quality=70

1680294861675.png

Taken from: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...john-innes-crc-plans-render-park-1024x512.jpg

This one was before the City's Design Review Panel last week.

Link:

A few slides from the above, then notes.

1683657637558.png

1683657731274.png

1683657839037.png

Below: View looking north from Queen Street into the Park:

1683657908998.png

Note below, that the unfortunate effect of leaving the arena as a distinct building means that in conjunction with the new CRC and the Ontario Line Station Sherbourne will lose much of its connection to the park.

1683658168276.png

1683658091164.png

Project does have ambitious sustainability goals including mass timber, and geo-thermal.

1683658307714.png

I noted only 1 question, which concerned how the facility design will address the needs of vulnerable populations in the area. (the principle answer is that there will be a space for an office that will primarily be occupied by SSHA (shelter/outreach staff) and that office will be designed to allow 'hotelling' by other support program staff.

1683658941437.png

1683659003308.png

1683659136958.png

Panel discussion:

The discussion was very laudatory,

Special praise for the second-floor terrace at tree canopy level with both tree canopy and skyline views contemplated. Lots of favourable discussion of the ecological elements, as well as the general warmth and porosity.

Minor critique of the Shuter/North elevation for being less animated.

Some comparatively minor lament over the arena; and a feeling that perhaps if the arena must remain, at least the landscape between the arena and Sherbourne should be part of this project and used to create a coordinated, animated vibrance along Sherbourne.

The vote was unanimously in support 10-0

Maybe not for this thread but I was walking up Jarvis today and the Moss Park Armoury appears to be getting a floor added to it. No sign of a building permit but it belongs to Feds so maybe no permits are required?? Sorry, no photo!

Maybe not for this thread but I was walking up Jarvis today and the Moss Park Armoury appears to be getting a floor added to it. No sign of a building permit but it belongs to Feds so maybe no permits are required?? Sorry, no photo!
Hmmm, I can find no 'news' on any expansion or additional floor.............but after some sleuthing, I see a tender was out last summer to repair the garage HVAC system.

1684850009279.png

Could that be what you saw?

Hmmm, I can find no 'news' on any expansion or additional floor.............but after some sleuthing, I see a tender was out last summer to repair the garage HVAC system.

View attachment 479216

Could that be what you saw?
It could be but it sure looks like a whole new floor on top and the whole building seems to be surrounded by scaffolding - which looks excessive for a garage exhaust project. If nobody gets a photo sooner, I will pop up there later today or tomorrow to get one.

It could be but it sure looks like a whole new floor on top and the whole building seems to be surrounded by scaffolding - which looks excessive for a garage exhaust project. If nobody gets a photo sooner, I will pop up there later today or tomorrow to get one.

Still digging.

Found this tender which closed in December........but wrong elevation for what you're seeing:

1684850815866.png

Didn't snap a pic but it looked like there was a lot of site servicing/landscaping being ripped up around the project site facing Queen street.

Anyone have any updates on the project?

A survey on this project, which is active until July 17th:

Back