Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Waterfront Toronto posted a reminder of the public consultations later this month:
http://goo.gl/zfa04C

The five shortlisted design teams selected to participate in the Innovative Design Competition for the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park are ready to present their bold and innovative ideas to the public. The teams will come together on Monday, March 16 at Toronto City Hall in the Rotunda to present their inspiring visions that will transform the Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park.

And a video about the design charrette to go with it:

[video=youtube;4aGb44XUz80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGb44XUz80[/video]

Last edited:
Tell Us What You Think About the Proposals for the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal & Harbour Square Park

http://blog.waterfrontoronto.ca/nbe...bout-proposals-for-jack-layton-ferry-terminal

• Stoss Landscape Urbanism + nARCHITECTS + ZAS Architects
  • Clement Blanchet Architecture + RVTR + Batlle i Roig
  • Diller Scofidio+Renfro + architectsAlliance + Hood Design
  • KPMB Architects + West 8 + Greenberg Consultants
  • Quadrangle Architects + aLL Design + Janet Rosenberg & Studio

Stoss Landscape Urbanism + nARCHITECTS + ZAS Architects is my favourite proposal of the bunch. Diller Scofidio+Renfro + architectsAlliance + Hood Design is my second pick.

The hot tubs and misting features of the Stoss/nArchitects/Zas project will go a long way in keeping these spaces animated 365 days a year.

Last edited:
Diller Scofidio first - I like how it references the West 8 wave theme and put the terminal front and centre and visually connect it to Queen's Quay, which takes the cake for me. Stoss is pretty good, but find their project default back to the park a bit too much and the terminal aspect seems almost hidden, like an afterthought (not to mention - forget about shelter - there is precious little of it proposed, and I think waiting for the trees to mature might be a bit too much to expect. I like the West 8 terminal design, but I am unconvinced by the linkage through the Harbour Square Park.

Haven't had a chance to truly read through the submissions - but it's not very clear how the proposals getting rid of the Harbour Square vehicular garage entrance will actual work out.

AoD

Last edited:
Diller Scofidio first - I like how it references the West 8 wave theme and put the terminal front and centre and visually connect it to Queen's Quay, which takes the cake for me. Stoss is pretty good, but find their project default back to the park a bit too much and the terminal aspect seems almost hidden, like an afterthought (not to mention - forget about shelter - there is precious little of it proposed, and I think waiting for the trees to mature might be a bit too much to expect. I like the West 8 terminal design, but I am unconvinced by the linkage through the Harbour Square Park.

Haven't had a chance to truly read through the submissions - but it's not very clear how the proposals getting rid of the Harbour Square vehicular garage entrance will actual work out.

AoD

That's what I like most about the Stoss proposal though. The terminal becomes the entire area as opposed to being segregated from the space. There is enough shelter without creating too much of it, since the ferries aren't even busy on days when shelter is needed. If they go with mature trees like we have seen along the watefront to date, we won't be waiting that long to get some decent shade out of them. The mist should also help quite a bit in creating a cooling effect within the space.

While Diller Scofidio+Renfro + architectsAlliance + Hood Design and KPMB Architects + West 8 + Greenberg Consultants have very beautiful structures, my favourite overall plan has to be Clement Blanchet Architecture + RVTR + Batlle i Roig.

That's what I like most about the Stoss proposal though. The terminal becomes the entire area as opposed to being segregated from the space. There is enough shelter without creating too much of it, since the ferries aren't even busy on days when shelter is needed. If they go with mature trees like we have seen along the watefront to date, we won't be waiting that long to get some decent shade out of them. The mist should also help quite a bit in creating a cooling effect within the space.

I like the landscaping aspect of Stoss, but not so much convinced that what they have proposed would be a great operational improvement from what we have now (it is pretty nice that their proposal kind of referenced both the West8 QQ and Claude Cormier Sugar Beach). I suspect the Stoss proposal would be cheaper to implement and maintain though - quality materials would make all the difference in their scheme.

AoD

These all look pretty great!

Death at Clement Blanchet Architecture using Beyonce/JayZ as examples of 'summer visitors" though...

Last edited:
The Civic Canopy concept is pretty awesome. That's the one I sent in with feedback. Some of the others have way too many art elements or unnecessarily large ferry terminals.

Is it just me or are the render people using the floating pool and hot tub really hot looking? Have the designers seen people that actually use municipal pools? Oh, renderworld...life is perfect there and everyone is beautiful and rich and having fun.

I think I like the KPMB + West8 + Greenberg "wave roof" design the best, with Diller Scofidio + aA + Hood "civic canopy" as my second choice.

I wonder if there will be some NIMBYism from the old timers at the Harbour Plaza condos? Harbour Square Park, as poorly maintained as it is, is the stomping ground for the Harbour Plaza retirees who walk their toy dogs across the brown lawns and sit on the benches gazing at boats in the harbour. Will they actively oppose the "cloud mist gardens," "ice walls" and "street creatures?"

Last edited:
It's not so much horrendous as it is plain. The building is plain, the pool is plain (but still the biggest!), the boardwalk is plain...

I wouldn't call it plain - it's very Alsop, and pretty much the only one that breaks the mould (and uses colours unabashedly) - which is commendable, but it isn't a very good fit with what's around the waterfront.

AoD

I'm all for the Diller Scofidio proposal. Beautiful, well-thought-out, and well suited protect the summer hordes from the sun and offer a reasonable amount of warm space in the winter. Two thumbs up.

I'm all for the Diller Scofidio proposal. Beautiful, well-thought-out, and well suited protect the summer hordes from the sun and offer a reasonable amount of warm space in the winter. Two thumbs up.

Really? I think it would be a little bit lousy with the slightest bit of rain.

I was most excited to see what DSR and aA had in store but I was slightly underwhelmed. The structure is absolutely beautiful but I can't help but think it could be built anywhere. I think it would actually be more successful in a square or park surrounded by buildings, similarly to the Sevilla Metropol Parasol (pic below). I do like the rocks though. I don't know maybe I'm missing something.

Metropol-Parasol-04.jpg

http://o.homedsgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Metropol-Parasol-04.jpg

Attachments

• Metropol-Parasol-04.jpg
    Metropol-Parasol-04.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 1,060

Back