Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

If we can see the possibility of building out a new Westin on the Convention Centre site, so have developers. I can only hope something is in the works, but realistically, Waterfront Toronto has to design around the Westin as-is.

There is problem with using the Yonge Slip - there is a bottleneck issue. Filling it in and repositioning the docks at it's current mouth would provide plenty of new design options, and a pathway over the entire structure (which needs to be built anyway) could link East and West pathways.

That would be great. The city could encourage this by offering a large height increase on the north site in exchange for a low rise on the current hotel site.

That would be great. The city could encourage this by offering a large height increase on the north site in exchange for a low rise on the current hotel site.

In my dreams I see Calatrava's Chicago Spire design on the conference centre site (or whatever that nasty bunker is called) and the current Westin turned into parkland with a Calatrava designed ferry terminal in the Yonge St slip. But, of course, that's just my personal fantasy, not to be confused with the reality of "less is more" Toronto.

I'd love Calatrava on the waterfront, yet I'm not sure I'd like a precedent set for a super tall on Queens Quay. There's plenty of room in South Core for that.

I hope this competition attracts a lot of international attention but I'd be just as happy if West8 put in their bid. I like what they've been doing on the waterfront and I would be happy to see the theme extended to the Yonge slip and the ferry terminal. A wave deck is a must for me on Yonge St. Every quay is getting one, so why leave Yonge out?

That said, if we recall the original competition, high profile architects like Norm Foster felt compelled to submit bids so I wouldn't be surprised to see him and others pop back up for the ferry terminal and the Yonge St. slip.

The City has just posted a tender call to 'dress' the Ferery Terminal and the ferries next year:

Host City Pan Am Ferry & Terminal Project
The purpose of this RFP is to select one (1) qualified Vendor who can manage all aspects of the Host City Pan Am Ferry & Terminal Project outlined in the Scope of Work prepared by the Economic Development & Culture Division, City of Toronto. 4 of 48

The City’s budget estimate for the full project is $55,000 to $150,000, excluding HST, depending on which project components the City decides to move forward with. Please note that this amount is only an approximation and does not reflect the total amount that will be paid to any Vendor. This amount is for information only and should not form the basis of any submission.

2.1 Background

In 2015, Toronto will host the Pan American and Parapan American Games, the third-largest multi-sport games event in the world. As the Official Host City, Toronto is preparing to welcome 10,000+ athletes, coaches, and officials from 41 countries and up to 250,000 visitors to the city and surrounding area. The Games will offer a unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience for residents, businesses and visitors.

In fulfillment of its role as Official Host City, Toronto has created a Host City Showcase Program (HCSP) approved by Toronto City Council in July 2013. Within the HCSP, the Economic Development & Culture Division has designed a Host City Welcome and Engagement Program that features a number of high impact initiatives to dress the city for the Games and generate excitement.

Host City Welcome and Engagement Program - Pan Am Ferry & Terminal Project

As iconic symbols of our city, the Thomas Rennie Ferry and the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal will be branded with the Pan Am Games visual identity for the 2015 operating season.

They worked on the High Line in New York, correct?

Well, KPMB is partnering with West 8 (the architect of the current Queen's Quay redo) and Quadrangle with ALL (Will Alsop). Not too shabby either.

AoD

Good point. May the best proposal win...or at least the one I like the most. ;)

Back