Toronto Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There are other projects in the area which could provide Section 37 monies for the ferry terminal, such as The HUB, Sugar Wharf, and the possible redevelopment of the 2 Harbour Castle sites themselves. Personally, I'm hoping for a redevelopment of the Green P Queens Quay/Lower Simcoe garage sometime too…

but those last two are entirely speculative on my part, and wouldn't provide Section 37 funds in a very timely manner even if they did move forward in the next couple years.

EDIT: It's possible that Section 37 funds from the south half of the 1 Yonge site could be put toward the ferry terminal. I believe that the community centre funding is just coming from the north half.

Last edited:
There are other projects in the area which could provide Section 37 monies for the ferry terminal, such as The HUB, Sugar Wharf, and the possible redevelopment of the 2 Harbour Castle sites themselves. Personally, I'm hoping for a redevelopment of the Green P Queens Quay/Lower Simcoe garage sometime too…

but those last two are entirely speculative on my part, and wouldn't provide Section 37 funds in a very timely manner even if they did move forward in the next couple years.

EDIT: It's possible that Section 37 funds from the south half of the 1 Yonge site could be put toward the ferry terminal. I believe that the community centre funding is just coming from the north half.

Pam McConnell was already gathering funds for this. I remember:

141 Bay a. cash contribution to the City, prior to the issuance of the first above-grade building permit, of $4,000,000 towards the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal; and

1 Yonge a cash payment of $1,000,000 towards the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal redevelopment;

Some of this money may be paying for what is going on now(though I think not) and there may be other contributions already and, as you say, there are other nearby developments.

Pam McConnell was already gathering funds for this. I remember:

141 Bay a. cash contribution to the City, prior to the issuance of the first above-grade building permit, of $4,000,000 towards the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal; and

1 Yonge a cash payment of $1,000,000 towards the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal redevelopment;

Some of this money may be paying for what is going on now(though I think not) and there may be other contributions already and, as you say, there are other nearby developments.

The Phase 1A currently ongoing is $2.8M with the additional $1M added to expand the scope of this first phase.

A price for the terminal itself hasn’t been made public that I know of. Like interchange said, there are plenty of developments occurring nearby that can contribute towards the terminal. I’m sure it’s going to get built sooner, rather than later.

From the October 2017 CEO's report:

Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Master Plan Waterfront Toronto is preparing to procure a consultant to undertake a strategy for funding and implementation of the larger Jack Layton Ferry Terminal Master Plan and to undertake a philanthropic feasibility analysis.

Waterfront Toronto seems to be really pushing philanthropic funding models recently. The Bentway, apparently the new York St. offramp park, now this.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea to tap philanthropy.

AoD

Notionally agree, though I am wary of it in the Toronto context whereby it's certainly conceivably that we slide into a world in which nice, non-car-or-suburban-subway-related things could increasingly find themselves waiting for wealthy donors to fund (thinking of my least favourite WT Board member as potentially leading that charge on WT projects).

Notionally agree, though I am wary of it in the Toronto context whereby it's certainly conceivably that we slide into a world in which nice, non-car-or-suburban-subway-related things could increasingly find themselves waiting for wealthy donors to fund (thinking of my least favourite WT Board member as potentially leading that charge on WT projects).

True, although that's a broader philosophical debate that is beyond WT''s mandate.

AoD

I bet someone with really big bucks would gladly step up if exclusive naming rights were put on the table.

The Mark Zuckerberg & Family Ferry Terminal. Even better, the Alice Louise Walton & Family Ferry Terminal. Gotta nice ring to it. Let her put a mini Walmart in the new building, and Olivia could manage it. Sorta quid pro qou.

Course the Norman Rockwell-like melancholy statue of Layton would have to stay. The empty bike seat could be auctioned off for even more $$ and pay for the addition of a wistful stray dog staring up at Him. Just to properly complete to scene.

Or simply let WT and all other enlightened Councilors who know what's best for us, like Jack did, keep extorting as much Sec. 7 money from condo developers nearby. Who cares it results in the tacking on of ten of $1,000's in cost per unit for every family looking to buy a box in the sky. Makes sense to me. Even if the people living closest to the ferries never use them. Instead it's folks from all over the City and Province who do. But why ask them to pay? That would require honesty. And integrity.

Phase 1A construction update from WT:

CONSTRUCTION NOTICE #4: Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park

January and February Construction Activities

Throughout January and February, construction crews were focused on sub-surface infrastructure and electrical work, with significant progress being made on site removals. Construction crews have implemented a phased staging approach for this project, and will continue to focus their efforts on completing the southern portion of the promenade before shifting north towards Queens Quay and Bay Street.

Jack Layton Memorial Statue: Work has begun on the new concrete stairs that will lead visitors from the main promenade up to the Jack Layton Memorial Statue when completed. Progress continues and the stairs are expected to be completed by mid-March.

Soil Cells: Soil cells have been delivered to the site and construction crews have begun the installation on the southern portion of the main walkway. Soil cells are a tiered web of rigid boxes that will support future tree plantings along the promenade and will provide a protected area under the paved walkway to support root growth and promote the growth of healthy trees.

March Construction Activities

This month, site excavations and removals on the north end of the promenade as well as subsurface infrastructure will be completed. Crews will complete the foundations for the new light poles on the promenade and will also start building out the locations for the 16 new trees that will line the promenade.

The granite pavers will be delivered on site shortly and installation of the granite mosaic paving will begin this month. During construction, trucks will periodically need to cross the Queens Quay pedestrian promenade and the Martin Goodman Trail at Bay Street in order to enter and exit the construction site.

During these times, flagmen will be on site to safely direct pedestrians and cyclists. For more information about the Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and

Stairs and silva cells well underway...

Jack1.jpg

Jack2.jpg

Jack3.jpg

Attachments

• Jack1.jpg
    Jack1.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 342
  • Jack2.jpg
    Jack2.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 395
  • Jack3.jpg
    Jack3.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 356
Does anyone have a link to that doc that indicated the stages of construction?

I remember there being a doc that colour-coded Stages 1-3 (or 4?). Might have been for the design portion of the terminal.

Back