Toronto Islington Station Redevelopment | 7.85m | 1s | TTC | AECOM

I still think the new bus terminal should have towers on top. What a waste of space.

I agree, but on the other hand, this space could become an 80+ story building when eventually proposed as part of Housing Now's phase 27 list of projects in 20-30 years from now, when the rest of this node is fully built out and the bus terminal could use a refresh.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tender for the Islington Station reconstruction is on next week's TTC agenda.

A whopping 109M and change.

Clearly @wopchop did not bid on the job.

LOL

From the above:

1682968274317.png

1682968306269.png

1682968329268.png

1682968353174.png

1682968381510.png

1682968418680.png

1682968467065.png

With the ramps, they will have alternate paths should an elevator be out-of-service due to maintenance or mischief.

That's cute that they think elevators will be in service by Q1 2025, and even cuter they think the new bus bays will be open by Q2 2026 seeing as they've started absolutely no work whatsoever.

Unfortunately here's a virtual 0% chance that they meet the AODA deadline at Islington which isnt surprising because they've dragged this project on like no other. Let's hope the existing bus bays dont collapse by the time they actually begin construction here.

As for that $109 Million cost, i'm glad they're being forthright because if they published any figure that was less than $100 Million then they wouldve been lying through their teeth. The whole project is a pretty big endevour.

That's cute that they think elevators will be in service by Q1 2025, and even cuter they think the new bus bays will be open by Q2 2026 seeing as they've started absolutely no work whatsoever.

Unfortunately here's a virtual 0% chance that they meet the AODA deadline at Islington which isnt surprising because they've dragged this project on like no other. Let's hope the existing bus bays dont collapse by the time they actually begin construction here.

As for that $109 Million cost, i'm glad they're being forthright because if they published any figure that was less than $100 Million then they wouldve been lying through their teeth. The whole project is a pretty big endevour.
By using ramps in place of elevators to the concourse, that entrance will comply with OADA time lime of Dec 31 2025. 2 years is enough time to get the elevators to the platform

There is no reason why 2026 cannot be met

Unless it will be add to next TTC meeting list, it will be June approval.

Only the parking lot not under Hydro One system and not protected for future needs can be use for redevelopment. This is already a year behind schedule.

Last edited:
Wrote more about this. The fact that it’s mid-June 2023 and there is nothing to show for construction activity as the station crumbles into dust is embarrassing. It also makes a mockery of the CreateTO program.

IMG_6904.jpeg
IMG_6902.jpeg
IMG_6897.jpeg

Wrote more about this. The fact that it’s mid-June 2023 and there is nothing to show for construction activity as the station crumbles into dust is embarrassing. It also makes a mockery of the CreateTO program.

View attachment 485503View attachment 485504View attachment 485505
I'm sure they'll show more sense of urgency once part of the bus slab collapses. Asides from that, i'm sure they'll just continue business as usual.

View attachment 485503View attachment 485504View attachment 485505
CreateTO and BuildTO are an absolute joke. Nothings been built on any of the city sites other than some modular apartments for the homeless…
To name just a few sites: Islington Station, Victoria Park Station, Warden Station, Kennedy Station, Borough Drive, Danforth Carhouse. There are many more but these just come to my mind…

CreateTO and BuildTO are an absolute joke. Nothings been built on any of the city sites other than some modular apartments for the homeless…
To name just a few sites: Islington Station, Victoria Park Station, Warden Station, Kennedy Station, Borough Drive, Danforth Carhouse. There are many more but these just come to my mind…
@HousingNowTO might be able to offer more insight...

The issues faced by the HousingNow sites has been widely discussed by @HousingNowTO and myself in multiple threads. Not to go over everything again...

The principal hold up at this point is lack of CMHC financing and that is overwhelmingly on the Federal gov't.

That said, the fact that the City did not see fit to secure a financing envelope at the outset of the program and instead left it to the market partners/proponents to do, on a project by project basis was unforgivably foolish.

There are other issues about how long it took to get these projects through the Planning sausage grinder and some quibbles to be had about densities on some of the sites; but really the current delays are 90% financing. (for those that are post-tender)

The other 10% is the spiraling cost of construction, both materials and labour, and that between City-caused delays, proponent-caused delays, and CMHC-caused delays, the financial models of some of the projects no longer work.

The issues faced by the HousingNow sites has been widely discussed by @HousingNowTO and myself in multiple threads. Not to go over everything again...

The principal hold up at this point is lack of CMHC financing and that is overwhelmingly on the Federal gov't.

That said, the fact that the City did not see fit to secure a financing envelope at the outset of the program and instead left it to the market partners/proponents to do, on a project by project basis was unforgivably foolish.

There are other issues about how long it took to get these projects through the Planning sausage grinder and some quibbles to be had about densities on some of the sites; but really the current delays are 90% financing. (for those that are post-tender)

The other 10% is the spiraling cost of construction, both materials and labour, and that between City-caused delays, proponent-caused delays, and CMHC-caused delays, the financial models of some of the projects no longer work.
The common denominator here being "DELAYS"!

@JBR - happy to provide you more insight - but we also covered this in detail in the TORONTO STAR a few weeks ago...

1686936290641.png

Back