News   Jul 23, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 593     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.8K     3 

Toronto Islands - Winter 2008

Here, here. We have a great park, minutes away from downtown but it is hardly at our fingertips. Instead of remediating what is left of the central waterfront, I'd urge planners to look at methods to integrate the Island with downtown. If I had my way, this would include a) eliminating the airport and turning it into parkland, b) pedestrian/streetcar only bridges linking the island at the foot of Bathurst and east at Unwin Ave, and c) enhance the public attractions on the island to include all-year activities, including outdoor curling, hockey, cross-country skiing and football rinks/courses/fields.

I don't think I support bridges to the island. First off all it would likely mean certain death for the ferry service which I think is part of the experience. Why join the island to the mainland when we already have Leslie spit. Secondly I would hate to see cars streaming through the island. I think that if people can't be bothered to take the ferry they really don't want the island experience and should go take a drive through High Park.

Great shots. Thank you.

I think I would be paranoid of missing the last ferry back.

Does anyone know what the "Free" signs are all about?

I don't think I support bridges to the island. First off all it would likely mean certain death for the ferry service which I think is part of the experience. Why join the island to the mainland when we already have Leslie spit. Secondly I would hate to see cars streaming through the island. I think that if people can't be bothered to take the ferry they really don't want the island experience and should go take a drive through High Park.

In my mind, it would only be for streetcars, feet and bikes. Of course, there would be allowance for emergency vehicles.

And I agree that the ferry is part of the experience but it also limits to the Island's accessibility. For me, getting to and from the island in this scheme is critical to the park's success. The idea for the bridge would be be two lanes for street car and lanes for bikes and pedestrians. Cars would be forbidden on the island (except for emergencies and/or perhaps setting up stage equipment, etc for events!

More critical to the success of the park is the elimination of the airport and the creation of actual attractions for year-round (winter) park use.

I love the Island. In the summer I try to get out there at least once every two weeks (usually more like once a week) to enjoy the frolf course and actually escape to something resembling outdoor recreation in this city.

But, for what it is worth, I'm not tethered the idea of a fixed bridge and understand that it takes away from the ferry-going experience. I just happen to prefer the idea of allowing everyone access to the island via streetcar, bike or foot so that a great urban park could be built with the skyline as the backdrop.

The ferries can apparently get very busy on summer weekends, but nevertheless I'm not in favour of bridges, especially since they would have to be lift bridges and would have to be manned.

There's something neat about taking a ferry and getting to a location that is a bit isolated, although literally within sight of downtown.

i agree. putting in a bridge would take out a big element in going to the islands. just like NYC has their staten island ferry, we have our island ferries.

i agree. putting in a bridge would take out a big element in going to the islands. just like NYC has their staten island ferry, we have our island ferries.
But Staten Island also has the Bayonne Bridge, the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, The Staten Island Expressway Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing.

Staten Island and the Toronto Islands are quite different...

DK416: Comparing Staten Island,NY to the Toronto Islands is interesting here-the only things they have in common is that they are both have ferry service and that they are islands - beyond that Staten Island (Richmond County,NY-NYC Borough) has a population of 459,737(2003 stats) while the Toronto Islands are mostly parkland-is any part of them residential? I do not recall that they were.

That bridge that the SI Expressway crosses is the Goethals Bridge-all three bridges to New Jersey are operated by the Port Authority of NY and NJ while the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to Brooklyn is operated by MTA Bridges and Tunnels (Formerly the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority).

A great example of a island served by only ferries is Shelter Island,NY-a town in eastern Suffolk County on Long Island. This island-with a population of about 2500 permanent residents that becomes about 8000 in the Summer-is served by ferries north to Greenport and south to North Haven/Sag Harbor.
NYS Route 114 goes across Shelter Island-NYS's easternmost State route.
Proposals have been made to construct connecting bridges-but residents want to keep their ferries-in a way controlling access to the island. In ways
Shelter Island has more actually in common with the Toronto Islands because of their parkland and summer resort destinations. For more Shelter Island info : www.shelter-island.org/

Building a bridge connecting the Toronto Islands to the mainland may be a good idea-but would it be worth the expense?
LI MIKE

The existing park and airport have co-existed nicely for decades. I always enjoy riding my bike over to the airport to watch the planes.

Definately, but my scheme (as I envision it) means turning the airport into a park and making the entire island one park (save for the parts where there are houses). It is my scheme to transform the island into a signature urban park that rivals all other major urban parks in the world.

I love this Island. It is actually my favourite part of the City in the summer. And biking there as often as I can is a real joy for me. And 10 times out of 10 I fly Porter to Ottawa rather than Air Canada. That said, I still like the idea of getting rid of the airport, linking a bike-foot-and-streetcar only bridge to an entirely green island where outdoor rinks, trails, fields and other attractions prevail year-round.

Planes are fun. But from my perspective, more people can enjoy more if that land was rehabilitated to include dozens of sports and recreational facilities for all-year, easily-accessible enjoyment.

Back