News   Jul 22, 2024
 567     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 464     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 502     0 

Toronto International Film Festival 2007

Ang Lee's films are all slow pace and talky...that's his style. Variety should have known :cool:

Eastern Promises was great - I was fortunate enough to see it at the Gala screening. An audience reaction of a couple hundred during that fight scene was quite thrilling.

Highly recommended.

Never got Eastern Promises for a time I could see it. Damn being box 62 (selected 66), but turned out fine.

Did see Shake Hands With the Devil yesterday. Even though I knew what I should be expecting, it was extremely powerful.

Old Country for Old Men was really worth seeing as well - the best Coen Brothers film since Fargo. I love their subtle humour and how in many of their films, its ordinary average people getting caught up in something beyond their control, it's so believable. Some of the best storytellers in film, despite recent disappointments.

How can any of you afford to see any of this over-priced, over-hyped, and to-be-in-the-regular-theater-in-a-few-weeks is beyond me... :rolleyes:

Atonement: GREAT FILM! See it in December when it's out, at the low low price of 11.95 or less.

How can any of you afford to see any of this over-priced, over-hyped, and to-be-in-the-regular-theater-in-a-few-weeks is beyond me...

I guess they (we) earn money, have a desire to see a movie when it comes out at this event, enjoy the festival atmosphere, and are willing and wanting to see films sooner rather than later. Nothing too in the beyond.

Word Hydro. Also, we are curious about the world around us, how other people see it, are interested in stories and pictures...

Also, here's a dirty little secret - it's the cheapest week long vacation I can think of.

Ok, back to movie chatter: Frank Langella, Lauren Ambrose, Lili Taylor and Andre Lester in Starting Out In The Evening were delightful. Ditto Laura Linney, Philip Bosco and Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Savages. Query whether Viggo's naked fight scene will be edited in the release version to ensure an R rating.

Dundas Square never looked better or more appealing than it does in Breakfast With Scot, which is heartwarming and fun and destined to be shown on the CBC every Christmas for years to come. But do go see it in the theatre when it comes out. It's Canadian and beautifully written and acted and doesn't pretend Toronto is somewhere else. I think it's my favourite movie of the Festival.

I haven't a clue who Don Cheadle is, but he's apparently making a movie on my street any day now. Is he someone famous? Should I take the day off and pretend I'm on holiday?

I haven't a clue who Don Cheadle is, but he's apparently making a movie on my street any day now. Is he someone famous? Should I take the day off and pretend I'm on holiday?

I have no idea who is either but I'll just die if you don't get his autograph for me (well, not me but my niece's sister-in-law's cousin's girlfriend)

How can any of you afford to see any of this over-priced, over-hyped, and to-be-in-the-regular-theater-in-a-few-weeks is beyond me... :rolleyes:

Gala presentations aside, many films never see a theatrical release and some never even see a DVD release. A presentation such as "RELIGULOUS: A Conversation with Bill Maher and Larry Charles" which I attended at Ryerson (my #1 TIFF pick this year) showing a "sizzler reel" and "work in progress" scenes from their upcoming feature "Religulous" (due for release next Easter) is a one time event. Other events like being in a theatre while the director and/or cast members do "Q & A's" at the end of their movie are truly exciting events if your a real movie buff. Add that to the general excitement of the Festival, standing in line talking to other friendly, manic film buffs is what it's all about. It's not cheap to see a movie at TIFF anymore but for those who really love film, it's worth the money. I wouldn't spend $250 to see Madonna perform at ACC (nothing against Madonna) but when it comes to TIFF, expense is a non-issue. It's a movie lovers paradise.

Don Cheadle: One of the mob who participated in Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Ocean's Thirteen.

More seriously, starred in Hotel Rwanda, a major achievement in most peoples' opinion.

-----

Did anyone here have the chance to see Into the Wild? Reactions?

Don Cheadle: One of the mob who participated in Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Ocean's Thirteen.

More seriously, starred in Hotel Rwanda, a major achievement in most peoples' opinion.

-----

Heh Shocker - would you like to make a date to see Ocean's Twenty Six?

-----

A friend of mine saw it - I generally trust her opinion - it needs a lot of editing apparently. Which was the same reaction I had a couple of years ago after seeing The Assassination of Richard Nixon.

Back