Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

So you can ignore the first part of his post because in your mind only the second part has relevance?

Cheers, have a nice life
I stated why the International Centre is likely not a candidate, subsequently reaffirmed why the old Boeing lands will likely be home to BBD.

Take your pedantry elsewhere.

I thought the lands outlined in red in the northeast part of the airport were what @Woodbridge_Heights was referring to.

View attachment 142242

The area circled in red is roughly 58 acres. Bombardier has indicated they have leased 38 acres.

Obviously, it could be a portion of those lands.

However, I noted with interest that the irregular shaped parcel immediately to the west/left of the circled area is almost exactly 38 acres.

Used this tool.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm

If Downsview no longer play host to BBD, are there any reason to keep the runway? Perhaps it's time for a new master plan exercise.

AoD

The area circled in red is roughly 58 acres. Bombardier has indicated they have leased 38 acres.

Obviously, it could be a portion of those lands.

However, I noted with interest that the irregular shaped parcel immediately to the west/left of the circled area is almost exactly 38 acres.

Used this tool.

https://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-area-calculator-tool.htm
good catch on the acreage, most likely would be the parcel to west.....I can't recall how far west the old MD plant went so it may still be a retro re-use sort of thing.

From the GTAA master plan :

Boeing Lands
The Boeing lands (45.7 ha, 113 acres) purchased by the GTAA, provides for a phased turnover of lands in a minimum of three phases following environmental remediation of the soil by Boeing with groundwater remediation ongoing. Area 15A, the initial parcel (16 ha, 39.5 acres) was transferred to the GTAA in May 2006 and accommodates the extension of the North Airside Service Road to connect the north end of the Airport to the east and south side of the Airport. Interim land uses include a winter maintenance equipment staging and a snow-dump area. Demolition is complete for the mid dle parcel (14.8 ha, 36.6 acres) and the scope of environmental remediation for soil and groundwater is currently under development. The timing of the turnover of the remaining lands is not yet known, although Boeing has ceased all operations on these lands and has completed demo - lition of the buildings on the remaining lands. This parcel is very important in terms of development potential. This site allows for significant development heights and has access to the runway and taxiway system. Potential uses of this site include aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul facilities, and cargo facilities. However, traffic issues exist due to the location of the Boeing lands at the busy intersection of Derry and Airport Roads. The GTAA has committed to incorporate portions of the limestone façade from the former Boeing administration building into a commemorative structure for the City of Mississauga. This will be included in the scope of work once the GTAA undertakes the development of the Boeing lands.

upload_2018-5-3_15-24-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-3_15-24-45.png
    upload_2018-5-3_15-24-45.png
    849 KB · Views: 596
Don't forget Dufferin!

N-S congestion is worse than E-W in that area.

Put Dufferin through, and straighten Sheppard.

Would be beneficial for traffic and for the TTC. It could cut trip time for buses through that area by 3-4 min per direction.

Definitely.

Don't forget Dufferin!

N-S congestion is worse than E-W in that area.

Put Dufferin through, and straighten Sheppard.

Would be beneficial for traffic and for the TTC. It could cut trip time for buses through that area by 3-4 min per direction.

Alternatively you can keep the roads as is and add local roads only plus a pedestrian promenade from Wilson Subway to Downsview Park Subway. And another from Sheppard West to Downsview Park Blvd. Give it a High St sort of feel and can be the core of the new build. The local roads would basically be the alleyway behind these buildings.

If Downsview no longer play host to BBD, are there any reason to keep the runway? Perhaps it's time for a new master plan exercise.

AoD

I thought i read in some planning doc that the runway would be costly to remove. The foundations are fairly deep (this is a former millitary area after all) so even if they decide not to keep the runway, any development will likely follow the bones of the runway in some form or the other.

Are you being purposely obtuse? Take a look at his whole quote, I've bolded the relevant part:

Bombardier will likely go into the old Boeing lands.

I was referring to both parcels. Obviously the boeing lands have the runway access that a production facility would need. While at the international centre site bombardier could be an anchor tenant in an office development there if needed.

However subsequent discussion seem to indicate that the boeing lands alone provide adequate space for bombardier's planned needs

I thought i read in some planning doc that the runway would be costly to remove. The foundations are fairly deep (this is a former millitary area after all) so even if they decide not to keep the runway, any development will likely follow the bones of the runway in some form or the other.

I can't see how that can be true, considering that they've obliterated healthy portions of the other two runways already.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Once the BBD airport is decommissioned there will be no more height restrictions on the neighbouring lands. Anyone have a sense how this will impact the lands south of Wilson where the Costco/Home Depot is, and where the TTC just converted a former parking lot into a big box style shopping centre?

I believe Smart REIT owns the Costco centre.

I would imagine the TTC owned shopping centre would be much better by high density residential and would expect it will be repurposed in time? There is a tunnel from the shops to the subway

Back