News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 496     1 

Toronto Icestorm of 2013

I know of a couple people who had gas stoves but couldn't use them because of electronic controls.

Anyways I actually work at the place that manufactures all distribution transformers for Toronto Hydro and we shipped 21 truck loads of stock to Toronto in response to the ice storm. I'm sure Toronto Hydro has a large stock pile of their own they used too!
A friend of mine told me she was glad they had a gas oven, because they thought they could use it to keep warm ... Until the carbon monoxide detector started going off ...

I know of a couple people who had gas stoves but couldn't use them because of electronic controls.

Anyways I actually work at the place that manufactures all distribution transformers for Toronto Hydro and we shipped 21 truck loads of stock to Toronto in response to the ice storm. I'm sure Toronto Hydro has a large stock pile of their own they used too!

Same reason why gas furnaces don't work during a power failure. Needs an electric start. As well, the same reason you need the electric fans to get the combusted gas fumes out of the furnace burner and the circulating fans (or pumps for boilers) to send the heat around the house.

Would like to see the building codes changed to allow for attaching an outside power generator for critical electric circuits.

To those pushing underground just a little info

The cost of a Wooden hydro pole can range anywhere between $5000 to $15,000. Depending on the topper and number of services.

Underground usually starts at $25,000. But that doesn't include the backfill, wiring, etc etc.

It's simple panic mode to invest in underground.

The cost of a Wooden hydro pole can range anywhere between $5000 to $15,000. Depending on the topper and number of services.

Underground usually starts at $25,000. But that doesn't include the backfill, wiring, etc etc.

True, however, the bill for each day so far in the first week of the clean-up will be up to 1 million, and this does not include the time/effort to be spent in the estimated two months until the clean-up is done.

The underground debate has been going on for some time, this storm has just brought it to the surface.

No it isn't. Burying wires can be done gradually. Since 1/3 is already underground, we have a good starting point to burying a substantial part of the network over an extended period of time like a half century. That approach doesn't require much additional money in the immediate future. It just has to be built into the budget.

Just as I suggested, layout a 20 year plan to bury most of the city's electrical grid. Start on Queen West!

No it isn't. Burying wires can be done gradually. Since 1/3 is already underground, we have a good starting point to burying a substantial part of the network over an extended period of time like a half century. That approach doesn't require much additional money in the immediate future. It just has to be built into the budget.

I meant mass immediate investment.

Considering there has never been a storm of this magnitude to hit Toronto ever before, it may never happen again.

Secondly, in my experience thus far, in road reconstruction projects, replacing existing hydro poles with underground is rarely done. There are many people who don't want a transformer buried in "their" front yard. Also usually hydro companies take the approach of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". And quite honestly a once in a lifetime storm doesn't mean the system is broken.

Gas stoves and fridges worked with no electricity for decades. My grandfather had one of each and never suffered from power outages. The electronics on a gas stove are just glitz and convenience.

Furnaces need electricity to run the fan and the thermostat control, without the fan you'd just have a ball of fire in your basement.

Right, all those world-class cities are behind the curve. Toronto has it figured out!

What about the value in improving the public realm of the city? The aesthetics?

Gas stoves and fridges worked with no electricity for decades. My grandfather had one of each and never suffered from power outages. The electronics on a gas stove are just glitz and convenience.

Furnaces need electricity to run the fan and the thermostat control, without the fan you'd just have a ball of fire in your basement.

Apparently, some new "improved" gas stoves will not operate without electricity. Some stove-tops models may still, but not ovens. Something to do with "safety". If you do go out to buy a gas stove, ask how it works during a power failure, and have them show you how IN WRITING.

No it isn't. Burying wires can be done gradually.

There seems to be this notion that overhead wires can just be dropped into a ditch and buried, that's not the case at all. It's a completely different system. The last mile also has to be buried for this to be effective, that will be the responsibility of the homeowner, not the utility company.

The electronics on a gas stove are just glitz and convenience.

The electronics provide accurate temperature control and electronic ignition, I'd prefer that to a continuously burning pilot light.

Gas stoves and fridges worked with no electricity for decades.

Do you know of anyone who delivers blocks of ice for your icebox?

Right, all those world-class cities are behind the curve.

The cost of electricity in those countries is many times higher than it is here.

And quite honestly a once in a lifetime storm doesn't mean the system is broken.

Every storm leaves people without power because overhead wires are so vulnerable to damage. My house lost power for 12 hours or more on two separate occasions this year. A couple of years ago, the storm that brought that tornado to Woodbridge left my part of the neighbourhood here in Toronto without power for 3 days. This ice storm just happened to leave more people without power than usual, but ordinary storms regularly cause damage to the overhead grid. You don't know when the next storm will happen (rain, wind, ice or snow), so we should take steps to minimize the damage.

From my councillor, I got a e-mail update about the storm:

Grocery Gift Card Program
The Province of Ontario has announced a grocery gift card program for those affected by power outages caused by the ice storm. In Toronto, the program starts today, Tuesday, December 31, 2013 and ends on Friday, January 3, 2014. You can collect a grocery gift card at one of 15 Ontario Works offices.

Families in need will be eligible to receive a $100 gift card.

Individuals in need will be eligible to receive a $50 gift card.

You must bring confirmation of your address, and you will be asked to declare the number of people in your household. Residents who are on Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program and are unable to reach an Ontario Works office can contact their caseworker directly.

Back