News   Jul 16, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 581     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

Toronto Icestorm of 2013

CityNews reported just now that 46 000 homes are still without power.

700 people in one TCHC building alone are still without power, freezing in their apartments, which is really indefensible. Couldn't more warming centres be opened up, in reasonable proximity to TCHC buildings? It seems like these people have been abandoned.

For the record, the older parts of Montreal started burying their wires during the Jean Drapeau regime, well before the ice storm. He thought them unsightly, just like he hated street furniture. Montreal was walloped in 1998 mostly because the main transmission lines into the city from James Bay (or wherever) were knocked out.

Actually, Montreal's history of burying overhead wires goes back a lot longer than that. CSEM is responsible for underground power distribution in Montreal and has been burying wires for almost 100 years. But I don't doubt that Jean Drapeau moved things along; he had that eye for detail and did everything he could to perfect the city no matter the cost.

But I don't doubt that Jean Drapeau moved things along; he had that eye for detail and did everything he could to perfect the city no matter the cost.

And Montreal is in much tighter fiscal straits than most cities b/c of his legacy.

TOHydro CEO replying to the critics on the line-burying front in today's G&M. 7 or 8 times the cost, other issues (i.e. flooding).

And Montreal is in much tighter fiscal straits than most cities b/c of his legacy.

TOHydro CEO replying to the critics on the line-burying front in today's G&M. 7 or 8 times the cost, other issues (i.e. flooding).

Unfortunately this is nothing but excuses. I can't think of a single European city with above-ground wiring, and they don't seem too concerned (nor impacted) by having their infrastructure underground where it belongs.

You have most American cities moving towards burying critical feeder lines (obviously not every side street), but for example, Queen, King, Dufferin, etc, etc, etc should ALL BE UNDERGROUND. It is indefensible that such a critical utility is left to the elements.

How does one feel once the electricity turns back on in your neighbourhood?

Something like:
He-Man-I-have-the-power.png

Filip,
You have most American cities moving towards burying critical feeder lines (obviously not every side street), but for example, Queen, King, Dufferin, etc, etc, etc should ALL BE UNDERGROUND. It is indefensible that such a critical utility is left to the elements.
Next time you walk the streets you mentioned I suggest you read the text on the manhole covers you are walking on. You will be surprised to learn that "critical feeder lines" are already underground and have been for a hundred years in some locations.

Filip,

Next time you walk the streets you mentioned I suggest you read the text on the manhole covers you are walking on. You will be surprised to learn that "critical feeder lines" are already underground and have been for a hundred years in some locations.

Then why are there rotting wooden poles with transformers and haphazard wiring dangling over the street?

Clearly it's not.

Sorry Filip,
You are describing Distribution infrastructure, not high tension Feeder cables.
Put on your coat and hat and take a walk as suggested.

Sorry Filip,
You are describing Distribution infrastructure, not high tension Feeder cables.
Put on your coat and hat and take a walk as suggested.

Then please explain why Hydro concentrated on fixing the 'feeder lines' during this outage? Did the ice and tree branches manage to burrow their way underground?

I was hoping after this the city would notice the shortcomings of relying on 19th century infrastructure for electrical distribution... Guess not. Another reason why Toronto is a running joke of a city.

Above ground / underground is a rather moot point; I think there would have been damage either way, floors are an interesting point to consider.

But here's something that I think will get some press (and deservedly) ... Toronto hydro will not fix the feeder lines that connect directly to a home, that's private property (blame the city if you care) but its been like that for ages ... it seems like only now have they started to communicate this, I know a couple folks who were on streets with power but their particular property was not for this very reason, but they weren't aware of it. Really no effort was made to spread the news regarding this.

In addition to power issues, it seems taht Rogers is having some major internet service problems related to the storm.

Many folks, even in areas unaffected by the blackouts now have spotty internet service at best.

Back