Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Nice video and to the point.
Not having the LRT link to the future Queen St. Rapid Transit would be a costly mistake for Brampton.

Metrolinx is on record supporting the current plan and has given Brampton a drop dead date for stopping the line at Steeles.

Construction is to get underway by 2018 or sooner.

Metrolinx is on record supporting the current plan and has given Brampton a drop dead date for stopping the line at Steeles.

Construction is to get underway by 2018 or sooner.

I guess Metrolinx has learned their lesson from the Scarborough transit debacle. Municipal bickering over transit will never end unless you step in and put down a deadline. Thankfully the HMLRT won't have to go through another Provincial election before construction starts, so that saves bickering at the Provincial level.

As an aside, I'm surprised the Federal Liberals haven't made any transit-related announcements for Brampton in this election yet. I would have figured pledging some of that massive infrastructure pot to negate some of the concerns with the HMLRT by funding extensions (north to Bovaird, for example) would have been a pretty solid vote incentive, considering how much of a battleground between the LPC and CPC Brampton is.

I guess Metrolinx has learned their lesson from the Scarborough transit debacle. Municipal bickering over transit will never end unless you step in and put down a deadline. Thankfully the HMLRT won't have to go through another Provincial election before construction starts, so that saves bickering at the Provincial level.

As an aside, I'm surprised the Federal Liberals haven't made any transit-related announcements for Brampton in this election yet. I would have figured pledging some of that massive infrastructure pot to negate some of the concerns with the HMLRT by funding extensions (north to Bovaird, for example) would have been a pretty solid vote incentive, considering how much of a battleground between the LPC and CPC Brampton is.

Kind of hard for the Fed's to commit funding something that hasn't been submitted to them for funding. They can't just say 'we are going to build you a project that you aren't even ready to move forward with yet!'.

The transit plans announced by all 3 parties, providing stable and predictable funding for transit, will benefit Brampton as it provides money when money is needed. That's really all the Fed's can do. I guess they could have provided funds to tunnel it through Main, but that would open the door to more changes along the line.

Kind of hard for the Fed's to commit funding something that hasn't been submitted to them for funding. They can't just say 'we are going to build you a project that you aren't even ready to move forward with yet!'.

Yes, one sure way for any federal party to lose my vote is for them to start to dictate projects that are under provincial/municipal jurisdiction. All 3 parties have made infrastructure commitments, but they provide funding support...and that is it.

As for the suggestion that the Libs (or any party) could win support by giving a pre-election commitment to extend the thing further north.....aside from my own personal belief that that is just throwing good money after bad......the objectors at council are far more concerned about the route it is taking to get to Nelson St....not sure that telling them you can take it further north addresses that concern.

The transit plans announced by all 3 parties, providing stable and predictable funding for transit, will benefit Brampton as it provides money when money is needed. That's really all the Fed's can do. I guess they could have provided funds to tunnel it through Main, but that would open the door to more changes along the line.

Again, though, any federal party at this point saying they would fund a tunnel under Main would be interfering in provincial/municipal jurisdiction....the province has clearly stated "this is the route, take it or leave it" and the city is undecided about that route...they have not asked/requested that it be tunneled.

Curious (and a bit off topic) about what changes tunneling would bring along the rest of the line?

That's a good point about there being nothing committed yet. Brampton does have a Züm plan that it is having trouble fully funding though. A federal contribution to that and to the Dundas BRT in Mississauga (and maybe Halton) would be positive. It's great that the Liberals are proposing that massive infrastructure fund, but without details about how it's going to relate to people at the local level (ex: "we promise to fund a portion of Project X"), it's just an abstract concept to most voters.

Hasn't Stephen Harper pledged to fund Smart Track even though it's supposed to be under provincial/municipal jurisdiction. It's better to provide stable and predictable and let the provinces and municipalities deal with what needs to be built. If the project is significant nationally like a high speed rail line connecting two provinces, it's different I don't see the need for them to be meddling in these ffairs.

That's a good point about there being nothing committed yet. Brampton does have a Züm plan that it is having trouble fully funding though. A federal contribution to that and to the Dundas BRT in Mississauga (and maybe Halton) would be positive. It's great that the Liberals are proposing that massive infrastructure fund, but without details about how it's going to relate to people at the local level (ex: "we promise to fund a portion of Project X"), it's just an abstract concept to most voters.
Brampton is having trouble funding Zum? Got a link to that (cause it is news to me)?

Zum was a 1/3-1/3-1/3 funded project from the start....so the feds have contributed to it.

Hasn't Stephen Harper pledged to fund Smart Track even though it's supposed to be under provincial/municipal jurisdiction. It's better to provide stable and predictable and let the provinces and municipalities deal with what needs to be built. If the project is significant nationally like a high speed rail line connecting two provinces, it's different I don't see the need for them to be meddling in these ffairs.
Yes, at the request of the municipality, through its mayor, the PM has stated that the Canada Builds fund would contribute to this project.

Brampton is having trouble funding Zum? Got a link to that (cause it is news to me)?

Zum was a 1/3-1/3-1/3 funded project from the start....so the feds have contributed to it.

I thought that funding was only for part of their plan. I was under the impression that they had future phases that weren't funded yet. I may be mistaken though, as I haven't been paying super close attention to Züm.

I thought that funding was only for part of their plan. I was under the impression that they had future phases that weren't funded yet. I may be mistaken though, as I haven't been paying super close attention to Züm.
The last two phases are going ahead. Those are/were the Bovaird line (in service), the Steeles west extension (in service) and the Queen West extension up to Mt Pleasant (in service next year). The federal/provincial/municipal funding may have just been for the 3 lines in the first phase (I do not recall) but the Phase II extensions (however they were funded) do not seem to be under any pressure as 2 of the 3 are in service and the final one is in the works.

Back