Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If you read their position you would see that wires are not the issue. This section of Main street wasn't going to have wires. Their issues are more 'character' of the street. signage, traffic patterns, noise, etc.

Stuff that can easily be addressed in the detailed design phase. Instead, it's all-out obstructionist opposition. I still call bull crap.

Stuff that can easily be addressed in the detailed design phase. Instead, it's all-out obstructionist opposition. I still call bull crap.

I agree. It's totally inappropriate for a heritage preservation group to be suggesting new transit routes. They can comment on heritage issues, and the transportation planners should take those concerns into consideration, but there is a lot more at stake than just heritage. Where the line ends up being located will be a compromise between dozens of different interests, requirements and stakeholder groups. No one is going to be totally happy with the result, but if one group dominates the decision making process no one will be happy except that one group.

Last edited:
Metrolinx plans for the LRT route in Brampton doesn't only destroy the downtown by congesting it, it is very short sighted and does not seem to be thinking of Bramptons future, thus this LRT is just a MISSISSAUGA plan. Any govt. official should be thinking about THE BEST to put in his CITY, not just some mediocre thing just to be on a certain plan, and compromise the Heritage and asset of its community.

LRT will be a boon for downtown Brampton. People using light rail are more likely to shop on main streets. Cars cause congestion and require space for parking; LRT reduces it by taking people out of cars. As for heritage, those Victorian and Edwardian buildings were built in the heyday of light rail. Light rail tends to fit in well in Victorian urban environments.

Last edited:
Metrolinx plans for the LRT route in Brampton doesn't only destroy the downtown by congesting it, it is very short sighted and does not seem to be thinking of Bramptons future, thus this LRT is just a MISSISSAUGA plan. Any govt. official should be thinking about THE BEST to put in his CITY, not just some mediocre thing just to be on a certain plan, and compromise the Heritage and asset of its community.

The Hurontario-Main LRT is part of a REGIONAL network required to more people through out the GTA.

Cars are the major, major cause of congestion. Especially, those cars with only one occupant in them. On average, suburban automobiles carry 1.3 people per vehicle. That's a lot of real estate that they take up for 1.3 people.

I just don't understand the heritage complaint. Is it the poles? The wires? Have these people ever been to downtown Toronto? I don't understand how ripping up the tracks along Queen West would be more sensitive to our "heritage".

Unfortunately, Brampton never had an interurban - somehow the Toronto Suburban Railway managed to miss both Brampton and Streetsville when it struck out for Guelph. The closest electric railway stop was in Huttonville, 5 kilometres away. (Not that it mattered much; Grand Trunk and Canadian Pacific both had busy stations and lots of opportunities to get a train to Toronto.)

Cars are the major, major cause of congestion. Especially, those cars with only one occupant in them. On average, suburban automobiles carry 1.3 people per vehicle. That's a lot of real estate that they take up for 1.3 people.

Cars + LRT + very narrow sidewalks = congestion
I just don't see it as a pedestrian friendly space
No bike lanes??? That would be the 1st pedestrian friendly space with very narrow sidewalks and no bike lanes
We all agree that getting good transportation inside the dt is necessary but sacrificing pedestrian friendliness and congesting it
Just doesn't work for BRAMPTON, it does work for Mississauga though.

Repost for comparison
I do agree that having a good mode of transportation coming in the downtown would be beneficial but I just feel the roads in downtown are too narrow for a dedicated 2 lane LRT + cars

View attachment 24462
View attachment 24463
Now That sidewalk is pedestrian friendly

View attachment 24464
Compare that with this narrow one from metrolinx plan where people cannot hang out/relax sit down and sip a drink.
Add snow into that picture and no one would wanna hang out there.

Brampton shouldn't be putting something mediocre in its best asset and hinder its best potential just to be part of mississaugas LRT

Last edited:
There are several places to hang out, relax, and have a coffee. The square in front of the Rose Theatre, for one. All it needs are a few more chairs and tables. It's only a one minute walk behind the viewpoint you're showing.

There's also the square in front of City Hall and Gage Park, which is very popular when there's snow on the ground.

You can't sit and relax on sections of busy Queen Street West either. So what?

There are several places to hang out, relax, and have a coffee. The square in front of the Rose Theatre, for one. All it needs are a few more chairs and tables. It's only a one minute walk behind the viewpoint you're showing.

There's also the square in front of City Hall and Gage Park, which is very popular when there's snow on the ground.

You can't sit and relax on sections of busy Queen Street West either. So what?

Just thinking about BRAMPTON man, just thinking about BRAMPTON :)
That's why BRAMPTON will always be mediocre , coz of that Mediocre mentalities

And btw, so you would know Queen West is just one of SO MANY Toronto Hotspots, what else has BRAMPTON got besides the DT????? Shoppers world????

Last edited:
Why don't you just eliminate cars from this equation and make dt Brampton pedestrian friendly?

I would if I could :)

The Big difference between Mississauga and BRAMPTON is that Mississauga takes much time and effort planning way ahead. Brampton like this LRT plan just deals and scrambles with whatever gets thrown at them. Hope BRAMPTONians are gonna wake up soon

Last edited:

Back