Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I should have clarified I was not talking about you personally, that's on me. I also think honestly, this is because there is nowhere to end it in Mississauga. And there isn't. At the same time, I think that this was kind a softball chance, in a way, to further develop downtown brampton. And get people to come to a place besides shoppers world.

Will the Hurontario LRT eventually link with the proposed LRT for Queen Street in Brampton? If so, that would be a very extensive system.

Will the Hurontario LRT eventually link with the proposed LRT for Queen Street in Brampton? If so, that would be a very extensive system.

There is no LRT proposed for Queen Street. Part of the next wave of the Big Move is an upgrade of the Zum on Queen to a grade separated BRT but no plans for LRT.

There is no LRT proposed for Queen Street. Part of the next wave of the Big Move is an upgrade of the Zum on Queen to a grade separated BRT but no plans for LRT.

Thanks for clarifying, TOarea fan. It's fascinating watching these GTA "edge cities" getting their public transit act together. My wish would be to see one massive linked syste: grade separated LRT going forward in Hamilton, Highway 2 in Durham, in Kitchener, Highway 7 or Steeles in Markham and of course Mississauga. I think by then we see the area become a massive continuous area like say Tokyo or the citoes in Germany. Are there any plans for LRT/BRT in Oshawa?

Thanks for clarifying, TOarea fan. It's fascinating watching these GTA "edge cities" getting their public transit act together. My wish would be to see one massive linked syste: grade separated LRT going forward in Hamilton, Highway 2 in Durham, in Kitchener, Highway 7 or Steeles in Markham and of course Mississauga. I think by then we see the area become a massive continuous area like say Tokyo or the citoes in Germany. Are there any plans for LRT/BRT in Oshawa?

I have no idea on Oshawa.

I think our biggest risk now is that we overbuild transit and spend inordinate amounts of money subsidizing underused lines. I think a Queen Street (in Brampton) LRT would be overbuilding and I think the northern portion (above MCC) is also overbuilding.

Well to be fair, the GTA suburbs are a little denser then average. Even Bramtpton. It's just that we are so behind.

Eglinton is mostly underground.

Not sure what the weight of the vehicles have to do with it. The Eglinton vehicles weigh about 48 tonnes each for a 30-metre vehicle. The new Toronto Rocket vehicles weigh about 34 tonnes for a 23-metre vehicle.

The Eglinton line vehicles that will mostly run in a subway are heavier than the TR vehicles.

Sorry, what's your point here?
Eglinton is Above ground past Keele and Leslie. How is that mostly underground? I have no problem with LRT.

Eglinton is Above ground past Keele and Leslie. How is that mostly underground? I have no problem with LRT.
There are also 2 other underground sections - under Don Mills Road, and from east of Ionview to Kennedy Station.

The entire line is about 19 km.

There is about 0.8 km above ground (but grade-separated) in the west between the portal and Mount Dennis station, about 1.1 km from the Brentcliffe portal to the west Don Mills portal, and finally a single longer stretch of about 5.4 km above ground from the east Don Mills portal to the portal east of Ionview. So that about 7.3 km above ground, and 11.8 km in a subway tunnel (as 12.6 km grade-separated).

That's how it's mostly (almost 2/3) underground.

There are also 2 other underground sections - under Don Mills Road, and from east of Ionview to Kennedy Station.

The entire line is about 19 km.

There is about 0.8 km above ground (but grade-separated) in the west between the portal and Mount Dennis station, about 1.1 km from the Brentcliffe portal to the west Don Mills portal, and finally a single longer stretch of about 5.4 km above ground from the east Don Mills portal to the portal east of Ionview. So that about 7.3 km above ground, and 11.8 km in a subway tunnel (as 12.6 km grade-separated).

That's how it's mostly (almost 2/3) underground.
Fair enough. I was wrong.

That would be awesome, but quite a ways away. I'd say the next two cities to connect are Milton and Oakville, possibly Milton and Mississauga at the same time, although at least for now development in Milton seems to be going southbound, coupled with Oakville developing further north. The hwy 25 widening project is going to be over capacity within three years if not immediately. Hopefully they don't wait too long to turn it into a freeway. You can add a BRT line on there at some point when there's enough demand.

I'd like to see the area around hwy 6/ hwy 5 become a bit more dense (where Waterdown is). I think converting 6 into a full freeway would help in that regard, making that portion of land more accessible.

Hamilton desperately needs some form of rapid transit. Upper James is a nightmare during rush hour, as is King. Some portions of Main are 5 lanes, all one way! One of those lanes could easily be used for LRT and it shouldn't hurt traffic flow either.

Last edited:
‘It’s the future’: Mississauga eager to give up two lanes of traffic on busy thoroughfare for light rail line to Brampton
]

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...oughfare-for-new-light-rail-line-to-brampton/

mississauga1.jpg

mississauga.jpg

mississauga-map.jpg

Mississauga councillors are unanimous: They want light rail.

They are happy to give up two of six lanes of car traffic on Hurontario Street, aka Highway 10, the city’s busiest north-south thoroughfare. The LRT would run up its centre: 23 kilometres from Port Credit north to the heart of Brampton.

We think of Mississauga as car-dependant sprawl. But Mississauga is changing. About 30 new condo towers are sprouting like spring shoots of corn all around Mississauga City Hall. Increasingly, citizens of Mississauga ride transit.

On Thursday, at Islington subway station, I caught a MiWay bus (the new name for Mississauga Transit) to visit Matthew Williams, project manager, LRT for the City of Mississauga. Boarding the bus I experienced sticker shock: $3.25 for a fare with a transit agency that offers a fraction of the service of the TTC? Then the driver told me my transfer allowed me to ride any bus, in any direction, for two hours. I watched passengers tap their Presto cards on the green reader (paying this way costs $2.70), and almost broke into song: “Everything’s up to date in Mississauga!â€

Mr. Williams works on City Centre Drive across from city hall. It seems a lonely job: he is the only person assigned full-time to bring light rail to Mississauga. Even so, he is upbeat.

“I live in Port Credit,†he says. “I love my community. It’s walkable. How do you replicate that in other parts of Mississauga? It would be nice to live in these condos, take the train down to Port Credit, and go bar-hopping or go to the beach.â€

Mr. Williams, 46, joined transportation planning here in 1990. He remains philosophical about the challenges of this LRT effort. After all, Mississauga worked since the 1980s on a bus-only Transitway adjoining Highway 403. That $250-million project opens next year.

“We can decide to be a suburban city, or we can look at places within the city where we can provide those urban elements that some people like,†he says.

Planning an LRT costs big bucks. Both Mississauga and Brampton councils this fall approved an environmental assessment for the LRT. When they complete the work next June, the two cities will have spent $15-million to $20-million on the LRT, with Mississauga paying 75% and Brampton 25%.

It’s a quiet effort, however. Along Hurontario, nobody is even aware of the LRT scheme.

“What’s the purpose?†asks Angelo Mazaris, owner of the busy Orchard restaurant at Hurontario and Dundas streets for 47 years. “I have never heard of it.â€

A server at Wally’s Restaurant, where I stopped for a burger, greeted an LRT brochure with surprise. “Right now there are too many cars on Hurontario. It will create more problems for traffic.†Mississauga needs a subway to Toronto, she says, not a north-south train.

John Sanderson, a regional councillor in Brampton, voted last week against studying light rail on Highway 10, known as Main Street in Brampton.

“When people go on that train to go south, where are they going to go?†he asks. “To the airport lands? To Port Credit?†Brampton needs more GO trains to Toronto, not LRTs, he says, adding sarcastically: “It would be nice to put all those people on a [light rail] train to go down and spend all their disposable income at Square One [Shopping Centre].â€

Mississauga and Brampton are asking the province, through Metrolinx, to pay the entire cost of the line, about $1.5-billion including the trains. But at this point there is no provincial money committed to the project.

“It’s the future,†says Nando Iannicca, a longtime Mississauga councillor. “It has to happen. The province says, ‘Sprawl is a problem. Go up, not out.’ We say, ‘OK, we will.’ This LRT will take 6,000 movements of traffic an hour off the roads. We are the poster child of provincial policy It’s about time the premier stepped up and rewarded us for playing according to the rules.â€

It shocks me that people are still surprised by this.

And people think it'll add to the traffic problems? The LRTs will be (mostly) in their own lanes. If you don't want to sit in traffic, take the LRT. That will be a powerful image for drivers to see.

Back