Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I don't want to wade into the wider debate of system amalgamation, but on the topic of this being Line 10 and there possibly being a bus route number 10 that is confusable, I think that's basically a non-issue.

A train (be it heavy rail, light rail, streetcar, or subway) is easily distinguished from a bus (BRT, local, or long-distance) in speech and signage. Anyone giving directions is likely to say "take the 10 bus" or "take the line 10 train" as the case may be, and any printed matter or signage should make it clear whether any particular route is a train or a bus.

Personally, I like the historical wink to Highway 10. It doesn't need to be a the standard for all lines or routes, but it's a neat gesture where it works.
If you were in another city, and you did not speak the language,could you figure out the difference between the bus route and the train route if they had the same label?

If you were in another city, and you did not speak the language,could you figure out the difference between the bus route and the train route if they had the same label?
Why not? Has anyone in history ever went to Paris and was like "You told me to take the T2? Oh I confused it with Metro Line 2".

Why not? Has anyone in history ever went to Paris and was like "You told me to take the T2? Oh I confused it with Metro Line 2".
Hundreds if not thousands of times I’m sure. Not everybody has the same level of reading and listening comprehension, nor do they have the same language skills, nor do they have the same time constraints for finding their destination, nor do they have the same spacial awareness.

This is the point of accessible design. If your communications are misleading to a select audience, there is room for improvement.

Also remember in the original example we’re talking about line 10 vs bus 10, both service the Hurontario and city centre area, and make stops at the city centre terminal. It’s not that far fetched to confuse them.

Reactions: T3G
It's not uncommon for people saying, whether it be about a bus or rail service, "oh, take the (insert route number here)". It is definitely far more irregular to hear "take bus 10" or "take line 10".

It's not uncommon for people saying, whether it be about a bus or rail service, "oh, take the (insert route number here)". It is definitely far more irregular to hear "take bus 10" or "take line 10".
People say "Take the 7 Bus" or "The 510 Streetcar" all the time, what are you talking about?

I don't want to wade into the wider debate of system amalgamation, but on the topic of this being Line 10 and there possibly being a bus route number 10 that is confusable, I think that's basically a non-issue.

A train (be it heavy rail, light rail, streetcar, or subway) is easily distinguished from a bus (BRT, local, or long-distance) in speech and signage. Anyone giving directions is likely to say "take the 10 bus" or "take the line 10 train" as the case may be, and any printed matter or signage should make it clear whether any particular route is a train or a bus.

Personally, I like the historical wink to Highway 10. It doesn't need to be a the standard for all lines or routes, but it's a neat gesture where it works.
Agreed. Confusing these two totally different methods of transportation is a non-issue. Even the wayfinding standards are visually different enough (i.e., the orange branding of MiWay 10 with the oval logo, compared to the teal branding of Line 10 Hurontario with the standardized circle logo) that confusing the two would be highly unlikely in my opinion.

I've never heard anyone mention the type of transit when giving directions, except in New York where they say take the X train, nor do I specify the transit type myself when I give directions. That's what I'm talking about.

At any rate, relying on someone spelling out the type of transit when giving directions to avoid causing confusion between two services of the same number is whack.

TBH I could see them renaming Mississauga Route 10 just to avoid any possible confusion.

I don't think anyone would ever think of making this a standard for all lines. It isn't so much a historical nod as being as natural as breathing in these parts.

People say "Take the 7 Bus" or "The 510 Streetcar" all the time, what are you talking about?

Most people in Toronto say route names like "the Bathurst bus" or "the Queen streetcar" actually. Although that's more rare in the 905 though.

Most people in Toronto say route names like "the Bathurst bus" or "the Queen streetcar" actually. Although that's more rare in the 905 though.
Lived in Toronto basically my whole life. I think this comes up to the individual. I would have been specific about the mode bus and the route number. Is it still finch east 39?

I am trying to upload a major update for the line not by me and UT is having an issue with it to the point I may have to try to see if I can do it in 2 or 3 postings since there is no link to it.

Kingsbridge intersection was closed at the beginning of the week as a full closure putting transit on major detour, it was ready a week ago or close to it.

April 1 will see no left turn at Eglinton for northbound traffic and putting Route 68 on another detour. It was supposed to be closed until April 14 for waterline work that should have happened when the intersection was being rebuilt.

Robert Speck Intersection was to be open yesterday, but it will be April 8.

Matthew Gates was to be open on March 28 and now scheduled for April 3. Until it opens, Elm Dr cannot be closed. They must pour the centre and the sides for the intersection before the intersection can open next week now.

April 3 was to see Elm Dr close, and I am expecting a full closure that will put Route 2 and 8 on major detour. An extra 10-minute walk to get to/from the 3 for the next month. No notices posted at any bus stops.

The last batch of photos for the corridor are now online since I left the USB drive at home on the trip to the US where I was to make some changes while in the US and uploaded them over the weekend along with most of my backlog.

Back