Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

75-100k per weekday ride. They don't mention a number specifically, but they estimated needing to run a bus every 5 minutes if they didn't get the LRT, which would put it 50% ridership above the 501 Queen at peak.
Important to keep in mind that the data may have to be updated - not just for Main LRT but Queen BRT or any other transit proposal in Brampton - due to the rapid population and ridership growth. The fresher the data, the better, for any proposal, for any route, anywhere, in my opinion. Maybe that'll happen as part of the Main St LRT TPAP.

A couple of news items concerning additions to Hurontario LRT, both in Brampton and downtown Miss.

From the above:

1705584109310.png

1705584155353.png

Comment: Remember what I've said about IBCs being nonsense; a consultant enrichment scheme that doesn't alter what actually gets done. Here's your picture perfect case, the government has already made its decision and is now ordering IBCs which will not change the outcome. Good use of funds everyone!

Additional article w/similar info here:

This just shows that when you have the right local government, things that are needed can happen. Hopefully the added sections won't delay the opening of this section.

I mean technically, but it was originally first funded by the Liberals, then the PCs cancelled it, and re-funded it.. so I don't really count it.
But I mean these two Hurontario parts were originally planned by the previous Liberal government and cancelled as well too. The loop by the PC's and the portion north by Brampton council.

the loop was a PC cancellation - true. Brampton was dropped by the liberals through from what I remember when Brampton voted against having the LRT at grade in the downtown.

^ Correct. The Wynne government told Council they should adopt the route in their very own Brampton Official Plan, and by 6-5 vote in October 2015 Brampton Council declined. At the very first meeting for the 2018-2022 term, Council reversed this decision and supported the corridor and an updated study by a vote of 11-0.

From CP24. https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-e...o-downtown-mississauga-and-brampton-1.6731664

The Ontario government will be extending the Hazel McCallion LRT further into Mississauga and Brampton.

In a letter to Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster, which was obtained by CTV News Toronto, Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria directed the agency to “bring forward a plan to build the downtown Mississauga loop and an extension into downtown Brampton.”

This directive, Sarkaria said, came directly from the premier. The minister noted in the Jan. 17 letter that while the Hazel McCallion LRT is not yet complete, it is making “strong progress” and the addition of these extra stops would allow for greater connections between the two cities.

The government expects a tight turnaround, asking for an Initial Business Case to be submitted no later than Feb. 5. This gives Metrolinx just over two weeks to consult with municipalities and stakeholders, determine anticipated costs, and provide analysis on route options.

A spokesperson for Sarkaria told CTV News Toronto in a statement the government has been “steadfast in getting shovels in the ground.”

“Peel is one of Canada’s fastest-growing regions. Our government will continue to invest historic amounts in connected transportation there - and across the province - so that Ontarians can spend less time commuting and more time at home, doing what matters most to them.”

The currently 18-kilometre line was supposed to open in 2024 and is expected to provide a rapid transit connection from Port Credit GO Station in Mississauga to the Brampton Gateway Terminal. Nineteen stops, many of which connect to other major transit systems within the Peel Region, have already been planned.

Can't believe how much this Ontario PC government is investing in transit. Definitely not the same party that cancelled the Eglinton subway back in the Mike Harris days.

So should we expect an underground transit line for Brampton?
I'm very interested in how Crombie's liberals are going to "out-transit" the conservatives. I'm hoping the next election cycle brings some new projects onto the study table. Ontario line west and east extensions would be nice.

Back