Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

We should run a concrete elevated guideway through this downtown, instead!
Better still, raze the whole corridor and start with a fresh sheet to plan what a real old downtown looks like in the first place,. Seen better places in NA with a better old time downtown than Brampton 2 blocks. A lot of places in Europe could replace those 2 blocks with an surface LRT.

Thumbs down for an elevated line

We need to preserve our automotive heritage. Any project should include a rusted out 1993 Toyota Tercel statue as public art commemorating our history.

Now there's a vision. Maybe one day there will be a heritage museum with 2 or 3 miles of abandoned Highway 401 across the GTA conserved, and people able to drive preserved automobiles down it - thus interpreting the days when people all owned cars....

- Paul

September 3rd
1694697323861.jpeg

1694697339555.jpeg

1694697354105.jpeg

1694697373590.jpeg

when oh when will they get rid of the temporary crossing structures for the Lakeshore West line and lift the slow order through the area? The permanent structure has been in place below it for a little while now.

when oh when will they get rid of the temporary crossing structures for the Lakeshore West line and lift the slow order through the area? The permanent structure has been in place below it for a little while now.
It will be done one of these months when ML has the manpower to do the work. There are closures plan for each of the remaining months of this year that will be effecting VIA to the point they will be rerouted,. No idea what work is taking place or where for VIA to be rerouted.

Its one of many projects taking place for this line where work has started and then you see nothing for week or months or still waiting for someone to show up.

As for the box, they still have to form retaining walls to the north, but it should have no impact on replacing the the track bridges and replace them with normal track like it was before the box move. Same for the southside.

One would think you could remove the temporary crossing structures one track at a time to avoid interrupting the whole corridor. I guess I’m wrong in that assumption or it’s too much added work when compared to replacing all in one go.

I got asked a few questions related to the guideway and roads that still need tracks across them and had no answers for either one. I had to do some thinking and looking up a few things to able to answer those questions.

Work started on the guideway late Oct 2022 for the Matheson Intersection area follow by the Matheson station platform in Nov that is still not completed today.

Given Matheson is about mid point with a lot of work to be done between it and Northflight, it maybe completed by year end. One can say there is no chance the full line from Steeles to PC will be close to completion by the end of 2024 based on what has taken place to date. Add to that timeframe is the OS itself that is only seeing poles at the OMSF now and no poles from it to Hurontario St, let alone been strung. The OMSF to Matheson is to be the testbed for burning the LRV's in as well training staff first and then drivers to the point it maybe Q2 before testing is started.

At this time there are 2 intersections plus access for the fire department in Brampton that has no guideway at this time, as well both ramps for the 407 to see tracks. Northflight maybe done by Nov with the 401 ramp by Oct. All intersections from Derry to Eglinton are done other than Eglinton and Watergarden. Every intersection south of Eglinton still to be done with a few side streets will be close to gain access to cross the guideway.

Both QEW ramps, both service Rd, Queensway, The fire station, Fairview, Dundas, Burnhamthorpe, Robert Speck, Sq One Drive Eglington, Hillcrest, Eglinton Plaza and the 5 in Brampton if the 407 ramps are not close like the 401 will see haft the intersection close since they have a lot of traffic. Dundas will be the worse since it verry narrow in the first place. No idea how they may do Englewood, Hurontario at the eastbound 403 off ramp or at Sq One Dr other than in 2 phases.

I count 27 crossing in Mississauga and 5 in Brampton still to be done with each taking at least 3-5 weeks to done the work. Another 15 have already been done.

Anyone see a different number for intersections to be done as well a timeline??

I know of only 2 substations that been installed so far and forgot how many is needed for the line.

I’m still confused. Are there going to be two lanes for cars in each direction under the cooksville go train bridge? The bridge right now supports two lanes in each direction but leaves no room for an lrt.

I’m still confused. Are there going to be two lanes for cars in each direction under the cooksville go train bridge? The bridge right now supports two lanes in each direction but leaves no room for an lrt.
Existing GO bridge underpass supports 3 lanes each way. Image from Apple Maps, probably ~2018.
BB4BC4C8-3CEF-4B1A-A2D6-5461C0BE6ED5.jpeg

Not sure about the state of construction here, but the island platform near the intersection to the south is likely deceiving.
Underpass should end up with 2 lanes each way in addition to LRT tracks.

Not sure about lane configuration entering this intersection, southbound will probably will lose at least one dedicated turn lane and have 2 through lanes.

Existing GO bridge underpass supports 3 lanes each way. Image from Apple Maps, probably ~2018.
View attachment 506555
Not sure about the state of construction here, but the island platform near the intersection to the south is likely deceiving.
Underpass should end up with 2 lanes each way in addition to LRT tracks.

Not sure about lane configuration entering this intersection, southbound will probably will lose at least one dedicated turn lane and have 2 through lanes.
Ok I thought we were doing a keele and st Clair streetcar scenario.

At one time, the bridges were to be replace with a wider one with no centre pier for 4 tracks, but were deem heritage. No Keele/St Clair design was even plan to be use for the existing bridge.

The road was 4 lanes with a sidewalk before the road was widen to 6 lanes. To get 6 lanes under the bridges, the sidewalks had to be removed to where they are now. This required a precast tunnel on the opposite side the the bridge piers that arrived on site as sections. Over a long weekend, CP shut the line down so the precast sections could be place under CP tracks. This required the tracks to be removed so excavation could take place to allow the precast sections to be installed follow by backfilling and then replacing the tracks.

Those heritage bridges will be hidden when new bridges are built on both side of them to have 4 tracks in the corridor.

The current bridge centre support is a little smaller than the LRT platform that will see the removal of 2 of the current 6 lanes to get the tracks under the bridge.

Bidding is open for the Downtown Loop TPAP/Preliminary Design Addendum: https://mississauga.bidsandtenders....r/Detail/da1dad40-8a6d-4769-96a5-b5b24327942f

Description:
The City of Mississauga (City) is seeking proposals for consulting services to advance the engineering work on extending the Hazel McCallion LRT (HM (LRT) through a downtown loop that will more effectively connect transit to high-density developments and meet the essential travel needs of both existing and future residents in downtown Mississauga

The purpose of this project is confirm the alignment of the loop within the City Centre and to advance the Transit Project Assessment Process and preliminary design through an addendum to ensure the HM LRT Loop project is ready for implementation pending subsequent capital and operating funding.

We should run a concrete elevated guideway through this downtown, instead!
It will have to be very high to get over the CN Corridor or stop the line at the bridge.

Oct 1
Since I still have a few hundred more photos to upload and tag, it allow me to get out and do some more shooting. Decided to have a look at the north end of the line and not much has change since Sept 10.

Monday may see the opening for left turns at the eastbound 401 on ramp as its paved with paving equipment still there. Don't know if anymore paving has to take place.

Wintergarden Intersection now close with the bottom of the guideway pour and could open by month end.

A few more sidewalk light post have been installed next to the road light/hydro poles that are short in height.

The base of Eglinton platform pour and working on the top forming. Britannia platform top is ready for pouring.

The north end of Matheson Platform for the northbound track is now pour in place with the track at the platform being wrap to be pour in place. Nothing so far done for the southbound track.

The areas south of Derry thar were being rebuilt is now done. What got me was the huge pad in mid block like it was done on Crosstown Line as I don't see a need for it and wasn't there before.

The last section to OMSF by the 407 terminal is pour with a small section of top coat to be pour.

Another section of Topflight has been pour that will allow better access to the motel and step closure to completing the road.

All the ties that were stockpile are now layout in the guideway with track being place on it. The grove that was on top of the ties is being used to anchor brackets that will be holding the rail in place. Still see nothing for switches yet with rail being place with groove support from 10-59 feet as per the markings on them. The crossing Tees are in place and small along the lines of TTC style. Still a lot of rail to be install as well splice. The straight track between the curves are the normal style of ties and rail

Looks like Nov/Dec before the work is done subject to switches.

A few shots unedited and hoping to have the rest on line by Tuesday
133A9449.JPG
133A9475.JPG
133A9459.JPG
133A9479.JPG
133A9487.JPG
133A9454.JPG
133A9480.JPG

Last edited:

Back