Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There's only one hope I see to stopping the madness at QP (and I'm from a family of Conservatives, father was an elected Con Rep in the UK). And that's business coming out in force (and I don't mean the knee-jerk anti-tax right wing reactionaries that pass as business acumen) and stating the *need for investment in tomorrow's institutions*! It is already happening to a degree, it must become a tidal wave.

It might just happen if they start messing with the relief line and RER. I have a hard time seeing business getting that excited about any of the LRT projects (other than Eglinton were it under any threat).

It might just happen if they start messing with the relief line and RER. I have a hard time seeing business getting that excited about any of the LRT projects (other than Eglinton were it under any threat).
I do have to add a caveat to my case: This *is happening* on other "world cities". How much? To the point that some companies are actually financing and building stations on their own dime, as they feel it's in their interest directly, and societally for now and the future. Altruism pays for forward thinking companies.

There have been a limited number of companies doing this in Canada, but nothing like in other nations. Example: (Crossrail Funding)
[...]
The Mayor of London, through Transport for London (TfL) and the Greater London Authority (GLA), is responsible for £7.1 billion of funding. This is made-up of:

• £1.9 billion contribution from Transport for London
  • £4.1 billion from the Crossrail Business Rate Supplement
  • £600 million from developer contributions (Mayoral Community Infrastructure Levy and Section 106)
  • Around £500 million from over-site development opportunities
The UK Government has provided a grant of £4.9 billion.

There are also additional contributions from Canary Wharf Group, Heathrow, City of London Corporation and Berkeley Homes.
[...]
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/about-us/funding
The Station is being constructed to shell & core specification under a design & construct contract with Canary Wharf taking all the design, cost and programme risk.
https://group.canarywharf.com/construction/current-projects/canary-wharf-crossrail-station/

How's Toronto and Ontario doing when it comes to corporations accepting the costs of a bettered society? There are some companies/corporations speaking out, as has happened with the minimum wage broo-ha, but far too few compared to 'leading world cities'. But hey, that claim always was just a dream...

But of course, how remiss of me...we're paying a tax surcharge for a subway to Scarborough Town Centre...oddly, no "world class city" could possibly match that...

Last edited:
Talking about the potential for the H LRT to be the original length is off topic?
No it isn't, and neither was my post, as today's Mimico announcement shows. This is more than just discussion about toy train sets and the colours and bells they'll use. It's also the context in which they'll be built, operated and the politics determining that.

Yesterday's Brampton Guardian:
Superlinx: Why Not?
An idea worth pursuing, Terry Miller says

OPINION Oct 24, 2018 by Terry Miller Brampton Guardian
One would have thought that roads and transit would have been big items in the October election. Don’t get me wrong, roads and transit were mentioned in brochures and at the public meetings but when you drilled down to the promises, there were no new policy directions to achieve better roads/transit service and no new goals to achieve better interconnections for that combination.

This writer can’t recall many candidates talking about Metrolinx and the Hurontario LRT. Metrolinx, the agency that plans, builds and funds major transportation corridors in the GTHA corridor, has a plan that, for now, doesn’t include Brampton in rapid transit. One would have thought that some debate on that issue would have been important! Brampton city council bickered about the route, for almost two years, forgetting about the concept!

The Toronto Region Board of Trade (TRBT) says that it has a better solution for transit. The TRBT wants the province to consolidate all the transit authorities and transit entities, in the Toronto Waterloo corridor; under an authority they call Superlinx … a creation of the provincial government. Superlinx would control all transit lines under a unified authority avoiding jurisdictional disputes and it would manage procurement, logistics and personnel along with a single integrated technology solution for the whole region.

Superlinx would transfer the cost of running transit systems to the province so municipalities could skip out paying their 1/3 costs for new equipment, facilities and operational costs. The saved transit dollars could fund other local commitments. Still no one gets off scot-free! All transit related properties would now become the property of Superlinx and zoning would be allowed for either commercial or residential high density purposes to pay for transit operations.

The TRBT’s Superlinx sounds like a good idea. But is it? It certainly takes the heat off the City of Toronto by merging TTC with Superlinx … saving capital and operational dollars. But Superlinx transit solutions may not fit in with Toronto’s official plan or reflect urban ideas, mindsets or viewpoints peculiar to Toronto and other urban areas. The Superlinx board of directors, provincially chosen, will be carefully screened to ensure they are in sync with provincial goals. That’s the whole point of the exercise ... local control would be forever gone!

The TRBT doesn’t see the link folks have with their transit systems. Superlinx could become more than just a super transit agency; it could become a faceless bureaucracy that may make the trains run on time but have little care for the rider on the train or the persons living beside the track. Superlinx seems to be an idea worth pursuing but there needs to be a lot more thought put into the details before any transit property goes anywhere.

Terry Miller is a long time Brampton resident and former Peel Region and Brampton city councillor. The Scene column appears each week in the Guardian
https://www.bramptonguardian.com/opinion-story/8970135-superlinx-why-not-/

Like it or not, almost every Metrolinx project is in some form of question.

Why stop at Superlinx? Let's do SUPER-DUPER-LINX.

Why stop at Superlinx? Let's do SUPER-DUPER-LINX.
Off Topic: SOTA = Southern Ontario Transit Authority Or ST = Southern Transit

Windsor to Kingston-Fort Erie To North Bay that includes Ottawa as well.

Off Topic: SOTA = Southern Ontario Transit Authority Or ST = Southern Transit

Windsor to Kingston-Fort Erie To North Bay that includes Ottawa as well.

Why, the government would only shut that down. They did that to the line going north beyond North Bay....

Wonder if Brown mentioned any *specific* transit projects in his call with the PM.

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownont 15h

I have long argued that #Brampton doesn’t get its fair share of funding of transit infrastructure, education & healthcare. This is fundamentally wrong as we pay the same federal and provincial taxes as every other community. 1/3 #brampoli #cdnpoli #onpoli

I appreciate @JustinTrudeau reached out tonight to express his interest in supporting Brampton’s transit infrastructure shortfall. Time will tell if this interest in sincere but I take this phone call as a positive signal from the Prime Minister. We deserve our fair share. 2/3

Both the federal & provincial governments should make sure #Brampton gets its fair share of transit dollars on a per capita basis. This isn’t the case today and needs to be rectified. Thank you to @JustinTrudeau for your openness to addressing this. 3/3 #brampoli #onpoli #cdnpoli

He shared this graphic in 3/3. Also, apparently Brown blocks some local Brampton residents on twitter.

2Pvfpdz

Perhaps Mr. Brown forgot that the city declined to accept provincial and federal funds for the Hurontario LRT (Main st section)?

^ It was just provincial funds. I think the language at the time was the province wanted to go 50-50 with the feds but they hadn't offered it (Harper was in power when the provincial announcement was made in May 2015).

Wonder if Brown mentioned any *specific* transit projects in his call with the PM.

He shared this graphic in 3/3. Also, apparently Brown blocks some local Brampton residents on twitter.

During the election he blocked many people on twitter. As you can see in the tweet of mine posted above I have/had no problem with a candidate's right to block people on twitter (or other social media). I think that candidates make strategic decisions and if they look at a tweet and think "we will never get that person to vote for us" they are better off blocking the individual than running the risk they become a vocal adversary and respond publicly and negatively to many things the candidate has to say. This sort of strategic blocking is not an issue for me at all.

All I was saying in the tweet was "the election is over, now you are mayor of all the people of Brampton and it is time to let them all see what you are saying".........as much as i have no problem with a candidate blocking, I do have a problem with elected officials doing the same. Those should only be able to block (indeed they should only want to block) in cases of abuse/bullying.

Perhaps Mr. Brown forgot that the city declined to accept provincial and federal funds for the Hurontario LRT (Main st section)?

1. No federal funds were ever offered
2. No one declined money....some people wanted local input into the route.

^ 2. Another way to look at it is that they didn't literally say "we decline", but the risk was that no new money would be available, or that the former or current government wouldn't hold the money in separate account or abeyance until an agreement could be reached.

Back