Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Nope!!. The MSF is in Mississauga since it on the south side of 407 with the 407 the dividing line between the 2 cities.

In addition to what I posted in the previous page, a fast way to find the Brampton and I assume other municipal boundaries is to just put the municipal name into Google Maps. The zoom level it goes to first has a red outline for the boundary. It does however disappear as you zoom in more. For this case, the red line still still visible the 225 m south of the 407 and the MSF as noted will be in Brampton.

In addition to what I posted in the previous page, a fast way to find the Brampton and I assume other municipal boundaries is to just put the municipal name into Google Maps. The zoom level it goes to first has a red outline for the boundary. It does however disappear as you zoom in more. For this case, the red line still still visible the 225 m south of the 407 and the MSF as noted will be in Brampton.
Unfortunately, this method doesn’t work for all municipalities though.

Brampton didn't want light rail (with 100+ passengers) in their downtown because they wanted the 1.3 people in cars to come there instead. It would spoil their downtown. So the LRT stops at Steeles.

8635219.jpg

In Europe, they tend to discourage cars from their downtowns, allowing pedestrians and trams to go through. In Brampton, they do the opposite.

Brampton didn't want light rail (with 100+ passengers) in their downtown because they wanted the 1.3 people in cars to come there instead. It would spoil their downtown. So the LRT stops at Steeles.

8635219.jpg

In Europe, they tend to discourage cars from their downtowns, allowing pedestrians and trams to go through. In Brampton, they do the opposite.
Not sure why this is getting re-opened again......but there were many reasons that various groups/people had for opposing the route. some likely more valid than others but all varied....but I can't remember anyone saying "because we would rather have cars there"

Again, not sure why it is being brought up at this time but.....as the kids say Whatevs!

The discussion on the Main Street portion of the LRT and Brampton's decision is probably being raised again because of the earlier recent article posted, which people commented on which brought this thread up in the listings. But hey, at least this thread doesn't have as many postings to keep up with as Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension :cool:

While no group in my memory literally said they opposed LRT on Main because they "would rather have cars there", one of the most organized and loudest groups, CFBB, did include traffic congestion as a serious concern in their letters to Council and deputations. It's also still on their website as one of the reasons they opposed the alignment:
Congestion – The inner core through the Four Corners, and especially at Nelson and Main, is already unacceptably congested. And into this bottleneck of competing traffic, the three car LRT will be crammed, along with cars, trucks, Zum buses, cyclists and pedestrians. With two lighted intersections on Main less than 100 m apart, the potential for train delays and grid lock is a certainty.

Advantage [to keeping Main Street the way it is - ironically, as far as I recall, the City is right now considering extending the sidewalks and removing the parking, taking four lanes to two]

All 4 lanes are kept open for automobile and bicycle traffic.

Also on the same page linked above:
Here’s another example. Conflicts between moving car and transit vehicles will be handled by an as yet to be determined signalization system, a potential nightmare for oncoming traffic at the Rail overpass at Nelson and the crossover at Wellington Street, each necessitating, without doubt a forest of signal lights and signs.

8635219.jpg

When you use a city reference you may want to look at the history of autos. In this exact photo these automobile streets were created destroying historical sights forever. Rome is a very aut0-centric city...other than the tourist areas.

RE: Rome:
Introduction

The mayor has banned vehicles from driving through the Italian capital on Sundays in a bid to tackle severe smog. Police have been advised to fine anyone who flouts the tough traffic restrictions.

There are 3 Low Emission Zones in Rome:
1) Green zone

2) Railway ring

3) City centre with delivery regulations covering a slightly larger area than the main centre of Rome

And in the entire capital of Rome vehicles including motorcycles and motorbikes without an annual inspection are not allowed to circulate.

There are also access regulations in place, see Rome - AR and Roma - Coaches.
There is also the possibility of emergency measures on days with extreme pollution, particularly in the winter. Options include banning alternating number plates, or a ban all vehicles. Notification is by the local press. [...]
http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/italy-mainmenu-81/rome

Much stricter regulations are imminent.

There was talk of moving the boundary between Mississauga and Brampton to the 407 (similar to how the boundary was adjusted to the 407 along the Milton side). The original boundary between the old townships was Steeles I believe, although I could be wrong.

Certainly if Mississauga and Brampton ever came to an agreement on adjusting the boundary there would have to be compensation from the City of Mississauga to the City of Brampton for lost tax revenue.

A lot of cities outside of North America are in the process or planning to ban cars from their downtown. Except Brampton apparently.
Are there many places inside Nort America banning cars? That is more relevant to a North American city like Brampton.

Seee, the problem with the “Brampton rejected LRT because Cars” argument is that it ignores that even without the LRT the city has voted in favour of eliminating street parking on Queen and Main in the downtown, reducing those roads from 2 lanes each way to one lane each way and giving over the recovered space to wider sidewalks and bicycles.

There were many varied reasons councillors had for opposing the LRT....but writing it off to just “they were saving room for cars” seems very simplistic in light of their subsequent moves.

It's the inaugural meeting of the "Transit Council of Chairs" for the City of Brampton. The package with the agenda and reports is here.

A few bits that might be of interest:
- HDR won the contract for the "LRT Extension EA (Gateway-Brampton GO)", which will study McLaughlin and Kennedy as alternatives to LRT on Main Street.
"- Consultant retained to undertake EA study
- Metrolinx confirmed they will be part of Steering Committee for project
- Open house and four rounds of public information meetings as well as stakeholder meetings
- Open House in Q1 2018
- PIC #1 in late Q2 2018
- Completion of EA study in early Fall 2020"

It's the inaugural meeting of the "Transit Council of Chairs" for the City of Brampton. The package with the agenda and reports is here.

A few bits that might be of interest:
- HDR won the contract for the "LRT Extension EA (Gateway-Brampton GO)", which will study McLaughlin and Kennedy as alternatives to LRT on Main Street.
"- Consultant retained to undertake EA study
- Metrolinx confirmed they will be part of Steering Committee for project
- Open house and four rounds of public information meetings as well as stakeholder meetings
- Open House in Q1 2018
- PIC #1 in late Q2 2018
- Completion of EA study in early Fall 2020"
Very interesting....I would have expected ML to stay well clear at this point.

Very interesting....I would have expected ML to stay well clear at this point.

Just speculating here but maybe it's because of the terminal station interactions? HuLRT project interaction at Gateway, and the Brampton GO Station at the other end. Given that the McLaughlin alternative route as it stands now appears to include a grade separate to get to the north side of the tracks at the Brampton GO Station, maybe they also want to be involved in discussions on how that grade separation would work.

Back