Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

So they recommended route options that are twice as long the Main option to get to the same destination. I'm sure the province or whoever's funding this and transit riders will both love this idea very much. Spend twice as much money for double the travel time. That is exactly the way transit should be built. Brampton is leading the way.
They have not "recommended" anything.

At a previous meeting they agreed to study 3 alternative routes...this is the next phase of that.....they eliminated 1 of the 3 and put the other two out for an EA...that is not recommending anything.

Exactly. But what it is is furthering the agenda of those that ultimately want to kill the Main LRT completely by using the "delay, delay, delay" strategy. It's pretty clear there is a significant population in Brampton that is totally regressive.
Main is dead.....council voted to not allow it back on the agenda......even the most ardent backer of Main route (the current mayor) flipped her vote and voted against bringing Main back to council.

The debate/discussion now is about is it important to bring the LRT to the Brampton GO station and if it is via what route. If you look back in the votes they have made, the only way the LRT gets to the Brampton GO route is via a route not on the surface at Main (that is why a few months ago the talked about the Main tunnel option....not because there is a great groundswell of support for a tunnel but they are not allowed to discuss Main surface route....by rule of council it is off the table).

I have no idea if those putting forward the other routes are trying to "delay, delay, delay" so that nothing gets built....but if they are, my advice to them would be to do nothing.....the best way to do nothing is to do nothing...because (if I follow your logic) the route they would be trying to kill has already been killed.....so I have to assume that in wanting to study two alternative routes (rightly or wrongly) they are doing something and trying to find a route that the majority of council can support.

LRT on Main Street won't be happening unless:
1) This Council gets preliminary information during the EAs for the other routes, comes to the realization that LRT on Main is better, and at least one Councillor introduces a motion to re-open and gets support of 2/3 of Council (as per the updated procedural by-law; similar by-laws exist in other cities) or

2) After the 2018 municipal election, a new Council votes in favour of it and the provincial funding becomes available (at 100% or 33%). Of course, if there's a change in government in 2018 and assuming Council is in favour, they may have no funding provided by the province.

Other cities have been through periods of time where LRT plans were alive, dead, or resurrected. I think it's safe to say that LRT won't be opening on Main Street at the same time as the line south of Steeles and any other outcome could be considered speculative, subject to elections, and dependent on many variables. It looked like the Scarborough LRT was going to happen after the Karen Stintz-led revolt and yet one month later she was supporting a subway. Anything can happen.

Main is dead.....council voted to not allow it back on the agenda......even the most ardent backer of Main route (the current mayor) flipped her vote and voted against bringing Main back to council.

The debate/discussion now is about is it important to bring the LRT to the Brampton GO station and if it is via what route. If you look back in the votes they have made, the only way the LRT gets to the Brampton GO route is via a route not on the surface at Main (that is why a few months ago the talked about the Main tunnel option....not because there is a great groundswell of support for a tunnel but they are not allowed to discuss Main surface route....by rule of council it is off the table).

I have no idea if those putting forward the other routes are trying to "delay, delay, delay" so that nothing gets built....but if they are, my advice to them would be to do nothing.....the best way to do nothing is to do nothing...because (if I follow your logic) the route they would be trying to kill has already been killed.....so I have to assume that in wanting to study two alternative routes (rightly or wrongly) they are doing something and trying to find a route that the majority of council can support.

Last edited:
Ottawa cancelled and resurrected their LRT project.

It is quite possible Main could still be resurrected, though it will, at the absolute minimum require an election cycle before that happens. And it will have to be a Phase 2 project, at this stage.

With the Brampton electrification by the mid 2020s (assuming CN relocates that quickly to a Bypass -- the biggie), the business case for the Hurontario LRT extension just improved. The booming high tech in Kitchener Waterloo needs easier access to Mississauga, I visited for the LRT construction tour, and there is actually people who want an easier connection between Brampton/Mississauga and Kitchener-Waterloo --

Main LRT is inevitable. A lot of people in Brampton will use the Hurontario LRT and naturally they will want an extension. It's only a matter of time.

I agree. I'm hoping Brampton will elect a council that's at least slightly more representative of the people who live in that city, not of 1985-era Brampton.

Ottawa cancelled and resurrected their LRT project.
Indeed. A dumb plan was killed. Things laid fallow for a few years, and then the process started back up, with a new focus on doing the right thing, instead of the politically expedient thing.

Brampton can kill this sideshow, and come back to the table in a few years when they're ready to do it right.

Ugh, just a reminder of the old Ottawa plan.
Surface LRT through downtown.
Primary east-west line requiring a transfer at Greenboro to go downtown.

image0021.jpg

Last edited:
That map is a little inaccurate but the point doesn't change. For the Kennedy/Queen route, the LRT would run parallel (but not on the same grade) to the CN Halton Sub to reach the Brampton Station. For the McLaughlin route, it would follow the OBRY tracks north of Queen, tunnel under the CN Halton Sub, and terminate just east of the Brampton Station. Of course, the EA could make changes to both routes in terms of how they get from Queen St to the Brampton Station. A new grade separation under the CN Halton Sub will not be easy, quick, or cheap to build.

UPDATE: clarification provided in post 2682.

Agreed. One day it will dawn on (a different) city council how silly the whole thing is.

mrZEqnI.jpg

Last edited:
Quite frankly, moving the LRT onto Steeles in either direction would require widening the road itself to maintain a 3 lane right-of-way for traffic/trucks. The Region of Peel has already designated Steeles a transport corridor I.e. Lots of industrial/truck traffic.
There's a lot of residential and commercial properties alongside in both directions (but especially east of Main) that would have to be expropriated in whole or in part. Is that really fair to residents/owners in those areas while none of this would be necessary on Main? And to the west, on McLaughlin, are two correctional facilities. So they would rather run this thing alongside 2 jails?? Lots of development potential there?? Showing off that great Brampton culture?? Not to mention doubling the distance to downtown B-townMakes me laugh. So backwards

Quite frankly, moving the LRT onto Steeles in either direction would require widening the road itself to maintain a 3 lane right-of-way for traffic/trucks. The Region of Peel has already designated Steeles a transport corridor I.e. Lots of industrial/truck traffic.
There's a lot of residential and commercial properties alongside in both directions (but especially east of Main) that would have to be expropriated in whole or in part. Is that really fair to residents/owners in those areas while none of this would be necessary on Main? And to the west, on McLaughlin, are two correctional facilities. So they would rather run this thing alongside 2 jails?? Lots of development potential there?? Showing off that great Brampton culture?? Not to mention doubling the distance to downtown B-townMakes me laugh. So backwards
splitting hairs a bit but the route would not run past two correctional facilities as it would veer NE on the rail corridor after the first one....but I was not aware this was about showcasing culture.....and I am not sure why (other than perhaps you have an agenda) you would post so much detail about this particular route choice but somehow leave out the intriguing aspect of it - that it services Sheridan college, the only post-secondary campus in town. As for development potential....well there is far more on the south side of Steeles between Main and McLaughlin alone than there is on the entire Gateway to GO section of Main.

All along I have never been a "route" guy on this....but I just wish (now that it has become a route debate) that there was more honesty in that debate (from all sides).

So backwards

Precisely. The issues with either of these alternative routes are glaringly obvious, while the benefits of going straight up Main are also glaringly obvious. Only a moron would not see them. Even the councillors pushing this idiocy know these things, but they are in the pockets of the NIMBY's on Main.

That's why I am convinced the strategy is to dither, obfuscate, confuse, divert staff time, and in general, delay delay delay, which altogether will kill this project entirely and Brampton will be left with no LRT beyond Steeles whatsoever. I don't know why everyone is so optimistic those councillors will suddenly wake up and change their minds - this is political corruption at its finest and transit has always been hostage to politicians.

Precisely. The issues with either of these alternative routes are glaringly obvious, while the benefits of going straight up Main are also glaringly obvious. Only a moron would not see them. Even the councillors pushing this idiocy know these things, but they are in the pockets of the NIMBY's on Main.

That's why I am convinced the strategy is to dither, obfuscate, confuse, divert staff time, and in general, delay delay delay, which altogether will kill this project entirely and Brampton will be left with no LRT beyond Steeles whatsoever. I don't know why everyone is so optimistic those councillors will suddenly wake up and change their minds - this is political corruption at its finest and transit has always been hostage to politicians.
not for nothing....but if you are going to accuse people of political corruption...your gonna have to show how the money is flowing ;)

again...the falsehoods on both sides of this discussion are quite amazing.

splitting hairs a bit but the route would not run past two correctional facilities as it would veer NE on the rail corridor after the first one....but I was not aware this was about showcasing culture.....and I am not sure why (other than perhaps you have an agenda) you would post so much detail about this particular route choice but somehow leave out the intriguing aspect of it - that it services Sheridan college, the only post-secondary campus in town. As for development potential....well there is far more on the south side of Steeles between Main and McLaughlin alone than there is on the entire Gateway to GO section of Main.

All along I have never been a "route" guy on this....but I just wish (now that it has become a route debate) that there was more honesty in that debate (from all sides).

To be brutally honest this LRT going up Main to Brampton GO wouldn't serve Brampton all that much. And a resident of Mississauga I say who cares? This line is more about creating a direct regional connection to a transit node, and less about city building in Brampton. I wouldn't mind paying more in taxes to operate a line that goes to Brampton without tax input from Bramptonians if it means more commuters coming to Mississauga for work from the Kitchener line. Brampton will have other lines that will better serve their city.

Anything other than a direct connection is a waste of time and money because it doesn't achieve the lines' goals.

Back