Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^I'll say it again....no one in Brampton wants to spend $400MM+ on this.....what you have here is a clear attempt to make the ML planned route the only one that is "affordable"...it's an attempt to create a will to go back and say to ML "sorry, can we revisit what you wanted in first place".

A multi-year EA and a subsequent staff report both concluded that the Main Street surface route was both the most inexpensive and the most effective route. So if that's what ends up happening, that's what ends up happening.

The original routing was the correct routing, but I think we are at the point with the Brampton portion where if we can find consensus, let's just build it. I am sure the Province and the Feds will help fund this, as Brampton is politically important to the GTA, and is currently mostly red provincially, and completely red federally.

The province has already made it clear that any additional costs of going underground will have to come from the City's pocketbook. I don't think the feds will be on board either, they are generally looking to the provinces to determine project priority, and why contradict their friends in Queens Park?

The province was clear that the money originally dedicated to the LRT would be revoked if the old proposal was turned down, which it was. Now, not only will the province not provide the additional money required for a tunnel, but they will not provide the amount that was needed to build the surface lrt. Brampton council has dun f*cked up, and will pay the price (quite literally). Even if Brampton decides to use the old alignment, too bad, that money has been moved elsewhere. The Province made this clear for council's vote, and council willingly decided it didn't need this money.

Last edited:
The province was clear that the money originally dedicated to the LRT would be revoked if the old proposal was turned down, which it was. Now, not only will the province not provide the additional money required for a tunnel, but they will not provide the amount that was needed to build the surface lrt. Brampton council has dun f*cked up, and will pay the price (quite literally). Even if Brampton decides to use the old alignment, too bad, that money has been moved elsewhere. The Province made this clear for council's vote, and council willingly decided it didn't need this money.

What a big cauldron they find themselves in. Time to cough up the money...

Even if Brampton decides to use the old alignment, too bad, that money has been moved elsewhere. The Province made this clear for council's vote, and council willingly decided it didn't need this money.

They would get the money back eventually but from the end of the queue as it'll be a completely new project (separate contract for IO to tender).

Underground makes perfect sense in my view. It's a downtown core. We don't want something the likes of the legacy streetcar system in Toronto where going underground (the DRL) is now being seriously considered. Reducing Main/Hurontario to one-lane each way is a traffic nightmare waiting to happen.

its effectively 1 lane each way anyway with the on street parking, and the LRT would not have removed lanes as it was to run in mixed traffic.

They would get the money back eventually but from the end of the queue as it'll be a completely new project (separate contract for IO to tender).
They would move to the back of the list, yes. Its not like the same money that was there before the vote will magically show up again though, they will have to sit and wait for the next round of funding announcements and hope they get included.

They would move to the back of the list, yes. Its not like the same money that was there before the vote will magically show up again though, they will have to sit and wait for the next round of funding announcements and hope they get included.

Yeah, definitely. It will be scheduled differently, but construction could still be continuous (with a staged opening) if Brampton makes up their mind before the election and Wynne (somehow) manages to get elected again; she won't make them lobby very long for funding.

There are some huge challenges for Brampton's LRT piece if Brown is holding the reins in 2018. I suspect he'll have a full-stop on all transit capital spending that isn't for GO; and even that will be reduced.

At this time I would guess the next government will be a minority.

Last edited:
I think it would actually be better for Hurontario if a Dundas East LRT is built instead of Main. Dundas is busier, and it would help revitalize Cooksville, and there's lots of redevelopment potential along the rest of Dundas East. Certainly, it is better for Mississauga at least.

Brampton decided cars are more important than transit in its downtown, Shoppers World should be the bigger transit hub, and 511 Zum Steeles have an LRT connection but not 501 Zum Queen. That made that decision, so let them live with that choice. We can't have municipalities being indecisive and constantly changing their minds. I don't think the province should fund any Main LRT even if Brampton asks for it.

Honestly, it is hard to understand what was the controversy about Main LRT in the first place. It doesn't seem like different situation compared to the LRT south of QEW and into Port Credit. It is too bad because I was in the Downtown area around Christmas and it was very beautiful. It's sad it will be excluded from the LRT and isolated from the rest of Hurontario.

But according to a lot of people on UrbanToronto, stub lines and forced transfers are no big deal, so maybe it will no effect. Brampton will also be a "Transit City." We should probably be happy they are emulating Toronto and following in Toronto's footsteps.

That made that decision, so let them live with that choice. We can't have municipalities being indecisive and constantly changing their minds. I don't think the province should fund any Main LRT even if Brampton asks for it.

I really have no issue with this sentiment....but if that is the rule...all municipalities should be dealt with equally. The dithering and mind/plan changing in Scarborough actually makes Brampton look decisive.....but, yet, we wait and change and fund.

Back