Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That's very unfortunate for the Zum initiative, I've always thought it was (and still think) that it's a great transit strategy. It's crazy, because I thought Brampton transit planners would have seen this coming as plans for an LRT along Main-Hurontario (now simply Hurontario) was in the works for quite some time.
These kinds of BRT-lite routes are often expected to be Rapid Transit precursors. Brampton transit planners would have known from the beginning that it would be replaced by LRT, should an LRT be warranted/funded. It's unfortunate to lose the one-seat-ride from Queen to south of Steeles, but that's hardly the planners' fault, at this point. It will be truncated from 18km to 8km, but I'm sure it will retain most of its ridership where it still runs.

These kinds of BRT-lite routes are often expected to be Rapid Transit precursors. Brampton transit planners would have known from the beginning that it would be replaced by LRT, should an LRT be warranted/funded. It's unfortunate to lose the one-seat-ride from Queen to south of Steeles, but that's hardly the planners' fault, at this point. It will be truncated from 18km to 8km, but I'm sure it will retain most of its ridership where it still runs.
All that happened was the transfer point was moved slightly. North of Nelson people using the 502 were going to have to transfer anyway....so the transfer point was moved from Nelson south to Steeles. Not that big of a deal from a transfer point of view.

Oh, was the 502 not a one seat ride from north of Nelson to south of Nelson before? You actually had to get off the bus and on to another one?
In Kitchener, our main downtown routes continue through downtown, though you might have a 5 minute layover at the terminal.

I expect Route 502 to be extended northwards to the Hurontario/410 interchange, as in Brampton Transit's long term plans.

Metrolinx has now officially chopped "-Main" from the name. Also, new map for the project:

Hurontario_LRT_Map_EN-573x371.jpg

So safe to assume those LRT will be orange with "MI WAY" all over them?

Oh, was the 502 not a one seat ride from north of Nelson to south of Nelson before? You actually had to get off the bus and on to another one?
In Kitchener, our main downtown routes continue through downtown, though you might have a 5 minute layover at the terminal.
It was/is a one seat ride from Sandalwood all the way to SQ1...my point is that whether the LRT stops at Steeles or Nelson, a new transfer is going to be created.

So safe to assume those LRT will be orange with "MI WAY" all over them?
Aren't Mississauga's express buses blue? Why would you assume they would choose the orange livery over the blue livery....or even create a 3rd look?

Aren't Mississauga's express buses blue? Why would you assume they would choose the orange livery over the blue livery....or even create a 3rd look?

Haven't been in Mississauga forever. I thought it would have been a "Peel" Color and design scheme. Since Brampton is out I assume it will be the same as Mississauga color.

Also, Eglinton Crosstown will have Metrolinx colors, not the TTC so it's a valid question since Hurontario is build by Metrolinx as well

Also, Eglinton Crosstown will have Metrolinx colors, not the TTC so it's a valid question since Hurontario is build by Metrolinx as well

My thoughts exactly. I don't think any colour but green would make sense for this route, since Metrolinx is paying for it all.

Regardless, it's just sad that some in Brampton City Hall and the NIMBYs couldn't see the big picture and thus the long term benefits of the LRT. A regional hub right in the DT would have been a game changer and would have spurred development in a very boring and very anemic downtown (there's nothing there, Bramalea City Centre laughs at it). I feel sorry for Mayor Linda Jeffrey really, she came in with a change mandate and has only been stymied by the Old Guard. I am annoyed.

Regardless, it's just sad that some in Brampton City Hall and the NIMBYs couldn't see the big picture and thus the long term benefits of the LRT. A regional hub right in the DT would have been a game changer and would have spurred development in a very boring and very anemic downtown (there's nothing there, Bramalea City Centre laughs at it). I feel sorry for Mayor Linda Jeffrey really, she came in with a change mandate and has only been stymied by the Old Guard. I am annoyed.
of course the flip to this is why is ML so tied to the one route.....if the goal is to create a transit hub around the GO train station in downtown Brampton......why care so much about how it gets there? All of the alternative routes (no matter what you think of them) had in common one thing....just like the single route ML would support (or as it turned out the two routes they would support) had their terminus at the very same GO station/transit hub?

This whole "brampton turned down 'free' money" meme has to end.....the majority of Brampton council did not support how the LRT got from Steeles and Hurontario to Nelson and Hurontario.....but they all supported getting there.

And there's San Grewal, who's been close to the pro-John Sanderson councillors. He's been the only dedicated mainstream journalist covering Brampton/Mississauga politics. His work chronicling Fennell’s abuses and spending was necessary, but his reporting on the LRT was flawed and biased; he’s still sticking with the pro-Sanderson politicians.

The pro-Fennell and pro-Sanderson councillors - the old guard - are up against Jeffrey and the fresher faces.

Back