Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Thank you so much for this document. I couldn't find the Brampton Transit ridership numbers anywhere. Using this I just slapped down some troll on Twitter who supported ending the LRT at Steeles--that was fun.

BTW, those asking for Queen LRT before Main should look at that document and see that Main ridership is 39,766 while Queen is 22,243. But that would be logical and that doesn't fly in my wonderful backwater hometown of Brampton.
You are including, what, 29k of riders that don't go north of Steeles (many of which wouldn't even get close to Steeles) and wondering why some people in Brampton want Queen prioritized over Main?

If Brampton doesn't want the money then give it to London.

London wants LRT and has higher ridership and much higher per-capita ridership. Actually has the 4th highest ridership in the province {Tor/Ott/Miss/Lon} and 3rd highest per-capita beating out Miss. If Brampton doesn't want free money then screw em and give it to a city that wants and needs it more.

To be fair, colleges are huge trip generators. I'm at Mohawk now, and the number of students taking transit to school in the past few years has increased significantly. The proposed A-Line LRT route even has the line making a short jog off of James to serve the college, and then jumping back onto James south of it. Mohawk is also building an integrated transit station on the southwest corner of Fennell & West 5th, in order to increase efficiency and consolidate multiple stops in and around the campus into one centralized stop. There's no reason a HMLRT option that runs along Steeles couldn't route into an integrated transit loop at Sheridan.

Of all the anti-Main reasons that were presented last night (many of which are total BS), that one actually does have some merit to it. Serving college and university campuses with rapid transit has been a key factor in many other projects across the GTHA: Centennial College with the SLRT, UTSC with Durham Pulse, York U with the TYSSE, Humber with the FWLRT, McMaster with the B-Line LRT, Mohawk with the A-Line LRT. A few of those lines mentioned even terminate (or should terminate) at those campuses. I can't think of a single instance where a proposed RT line runs within a couple km of a major campus and doesn't directly serve it.

None of the transit lines you mention are veering over a kilometer off course just to connect to those colleges, and then returning to the same road that it veered off of. And the A-Line is not actually making a detour: Mohawk is right along the way. As doady said, HM LRT is a regional line whose purpose is to connect downtown Brampton and their GO station to Mississauga Centre, Milton Line and Lakeshore Line. It's the job of the Steeles bus to serve Sheridan College, and if the city cared they would consider upgrading that bus to a BRT or LRT. Diverting HM to McCrappy Road is not the way to do it, staff soundly rejected these alternative routes, the public has spoken, but city council said screw it.

Warning......not gonna get into a big discussion about this as people who have been with this thread for yea are tired of hearing it and have said so.........bu when I read the reports on this line I says BRT to me.

Regardless, you will be taking the bus for a long time to come.

The whole "it's in the wrong place" position is one of the dumbest arguments I've every heard. Building this LRT doesn't prevent you from building other LRT's. The City of Brampton can build LRT's on every major street in the City if they like. Nobody is stopping them. The Province is willing to pay for this particular LRT because it plays an important role in the regional network.

It's like someone offering you a free Ford and you turn it down because you had your heart set on a Chevy. If you take the free Ford you can still buy yourself a Chevy dumbass.

Warning......not gonna get into a big discussion about this as people who have been with this thread for yea are tired of hearing it and have said so.........bu when I read the reports on this line I says BRT to me.

Aw, I was hoping you were going to say light metro. Although I have no qualms with a tram-style mode they're going with, I think it'd be pretty forward -thinking as well to build a true grade-separated RT line. Much in the same way KW moved up to the big leagues with their LRT when they could've gotten away with a boring BRT.

Thank you so much for this document. I couldn't find the Brampton Transit ridership numbers anywhere. Using this I just slapped down some troll on Twitter who supported ending the LRT at Steeles--that was fun.

BTW, those asking for Queen LRT before Main should look at that document and see that Main ridership is 39,766 while Queen is 22,243. But that would be logical and that doesn't fly in my wonderful backwater hometown of Brampton.

Honestly, I think Queen is the #1 corridor in Brampton. Just difficult to build LRT there because the LRT would probably have to go deep into Vaughan...

People seem to argue against Main in favour of another north-south corridor. Or another diversion off main. That is what I take issue with.

Queen is a strong corridor and the unified Hurontario-Main is a strong corridor. And what Brampton did was undo all the progress that was done with Zum the past few years. Hurontario and Main will be broken up again. As a hub Downtown Brampton will compete with Shoppers World again. And their most important corridor, Queen, will no longer have connection to Mississauga's most important corridor, Hurontario.

Even a few years back, Main Street used to be no main street. The transit ridership was poor. In 2006, 2 Main had similar or worse ridership compared to 7 Kennedy, 11 Steeles, 18 Dixie, 52 McMurchy, let alone 1 Queen. But after 502 was introduced to Square One, the ridership of the Main corridor skyrocketed. Brampton successfully established the primacy of Main Street and therefore reinforced the importance of their downtown too. But by voting to end LRT at Steeles, they have undone all of that. Brampton will be back to square one, so to speak.

Brampton Transit routes average weekday boardings, 2006

1 Queen - 9,724
2 Main - 3,633
7 Kennedy - 3,775
11 Steeles - 7,457
18 Dixie - 4,747
52 McMurchy - 2,778

http://dmg.utoronto.ca/pdf/tts/2006/validation2006.pdf#42

From 2006 to 2012, the ridership of the Main buses tripled. Why would anyone want to take transit off Main onto a different corridor and possible interfere with the ZUm on Steeles, I don't understand it at all.

CityVal would have been perfect...

Bah, I don't care for that. My personal preference in such a scenario would be something that doesn't exist, but I think could exist relatively easily. That is: having Bombardier reverse-engineer the Flexity to be a metro vehicle (i.e lighter, less costly, 3rd rail capability, able to share parts/shops with its street-running counterpart, etc). This shouldn't be too zany, since BBD does do customized LRVs for metro operation. So perhaps something akin to their B07 rolling stock for London's DLR, but instead based off the Flexity line of vehicles.

This had me thinking about what colour HMLRT's vehicles will be. For fun, here's a couple ideas that are loosely based off Brampton's and 'Sauga's current scheme.

Flexity-Freedom_Mississauga+Brampton_3.png

Attachments

• Flexity-Freedom_Mississauga+Brampton_3.png
    Flexity-Freedom_Mississauga+Brampton_3.png
    48 KB · Views: 469
If these clowns want something other than free money was going to build, they need to open their pocketbook and pay for it.

There is no other route that will generate more ridership without wasting everyone time as well increase travel time.

If it was me being asked for this extra funding, I would said you had your chance and now time to move on and invest your lost funding in someone who wants it now.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...for-liberal-payback-to-help-new-lrt-plan.html

If these clowns want something other than free money was going to build, they need to open their pocketbook and pay for it.

There is no other route that will generate more ridership without wasting everyone time as well increase travel time.

If it was me being asked for this extra funding, I would said you had your chance and now time to move on and invest your lost funding in someone who wants it now.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...for-liberal-payback-to-help-new-lrt-plan.html

Let's be clear -- the 6 "no" councillors know full well that the Main Street surface alignment is the best north-south alignment in terms of ridership, because Main is already established as the busiest of all competing routes.

Because they know this, but don't support it, one is left wondering if they truly support LRT as they have always stated. It isn't inconceivable that voting down the Main St surface alignment and asking staff to look at alternate routes, **which they already have done**, is just a backhanded way to stall, delay and ultimately KILL the Brampton LRT.

These are politicians, and minor league ones at that, so I wouldn't put this past them.

Finally - about Drum118:

I wish you would stop talking about "what you said" or "what you called for" in each and every otherwise very helpful and insightful messages if yours.

Everything with you is always about you.

Are you running for political office?

Are you building your brand by posting at UT?

Why are you always telling us what you said or what stood for or whatever else you did? Who are you?

Finally - about Drum118:

I wish you would stop talking about "what you said" or "what you called for" in each and every otherwise very helpful and insightful messages if yours.

Why are you always telling us what you said or what stood for or whatever else you did? Who are you?

He's drum. I appreciate his input. If you don't, than take it with a pinch of salt. Let's keep the discussion about HMLRT instead of personally ragging on our fellow members.

Let's be clear -- the 6 "no" councillors know full well that the Main Street surface alignment is the best north-south alignment in terms of ridership, because Main is already established as the busiest of all competing routes.

Because they know this, but don't support it, one is left wondering if they truly support LRT as they have always stated. It isn't inconceivable that voting down the Main St surface alignment and asking staff to look at alternate routes, **which they already have done**, is just a backhanded way to stall, delay and ultimately KILL the Brampton LRT.

These are politicians, and minor league ones at that, so I wouldn't put this past them.

Finally - about Drum118:

I sear you ask this same question on a monthly basis.

Back