Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I was in Brampton yesterday, so I made a point of walking the northernmost couple of blocks of Hurontario just to see what kind of rustic small town downtown was in jeopardy.

I found: A pawn shop, a tattoo parlour, a nails joint, a hair stylist, a couple of clothing stores, a realtor, and (north of the tracks) a couple more hair stylists and the John Howard Society. And a Subway. (what bustling commercial block doesn't have a Subway?)

None of these businesses will survive an uptick in rents, which is inevitable when the downtown does intensify - LRT or no LRT. Eliminating on-street parking as a consequence of putting the LRT up there will have no effect whatsoever. There is currently lots of back-street parking, btw. I can't imagine that the owners of these buildings are concerned about LRT - they will just raise the rents and whoever can afford them will move in.

Seems like a very small and select group of noisy opponents, if you ask me.

- Paul

We always hears from the shop owners, but what surprises me is that we don't hear more from all the big landowners in the downtown. There is lots of vacant and under utilized land just behind Main Street that would see a significant increase in development potential and value from an LRT. Usually it is the landowners who are most vocal and the shopkeepers who are not heard from. The shopkeepers stand to lose a few hundred dollars a month (if you believe business in the area will die because of fewer cars). The landowner stand to lose possibly a few hundred thousand dollars each if the LRT is not approved. Also the city taxbase stands to lose a percentage of that money as well. The landowners need to get organized and get their voices heard.

Most likely the small shopkeepers don't have a large enough reserve funds to last one or two years. Most likely, not even three months, which most people (including shopkeepers) should have in their savings account. The real trouble is that if the plan is to go underground, it will take much longer, and they could really be in trouble. Just see how long the construction is taking on Eglinton.

The shopkeepers should be building up their reserve funds now, maybe even scheduling renovation work during the LRT construction.

Looks like the anti-LRT NIMBYs and those opposed to Linda Jeffrey are looking for every possible angle to sink it. Funny that these allegations against Mederios somehow came up right now. Reeks of desperation.

Looks like the anti-LRT NIMBYs and those opposed to Linda Jeffrey are looking for every possible angle to sink it. Funny that these allegations against Mederios somehow came up right now. Reeks of desperation.
What a gong show.
To me there is a need to break down this whole thing into separate issues.

1. If, indeed, he lied on his nomination forms and did live in Mississauga at the time he stood for election....he can't possibly hold onto his seat at the council table.

2. The people in those wards need to be represented on any vote of this magnitude so there is no way this vote can take place if that seat is vacant.

To me the only solution would be a further deferral of the vote until it is decided who, legitimately, represents those two wards in the vote. The timing is questionable and, frankly, stinks but that should not override that someone may be at the council table illegally.

That said, this is Brampton....and there is lots of politics to play out before the vote.

1. If, indeed, he lied on his nomination forms and did live in Mississauga at the time he stood for election....he can't possibly hold onto his seat at the council table.

If he lied on his forms, it would take a lengthy court process, including appeals, before it could be confirmed that he ( Martin Medeiros) is removed from his seat. Are we willing to wait the 3 or 4 years for this process to play out. An injunction preventing him from voting in the interim seems ludicrous because it essentially assumes he is guilty - and farther ensures that the entire area goes without representation. If in doubt, the democratic vote should govern.

The fact is that this person is the representative until he can fully and legally be removed from the position.

Seeking an injunction is a pretty crass preemptive strike and clearly is tied to the LRT issue rather than good government in Bramptn generally. This Councillor will already have voted on other weighty matters (such as the City's budget, its tax regime, and major procurements).... where was the injunction for these?

There is a legal principle that a higher court should not intervene in a matter that has not been heard at the lowest possible level first. There are no doubt by-laws or rules of order that allow Brampton Council to suspend a Councillor pending investigation. Hopefully the court passes this back to Council to deal with.

This doesn't hold up Council business. Councils regularly have empty seats theu resignations, illnesses, etc .... sometimes Councillors just don't turn up to vote! If this person loses his seat, a byelection may be called...or not. IIRC Toronto Council appointed an interim Councillor when Doug Holyday mecame an MPP, to spare the need for a byelection. So the LRT vote will likely proceed regardless... but possibly with one fewer 'yes' vote.

- Paul

Seeking an injunction is a pretty crass preemptive strike and clearly is tied to the LRT issue rather than good government in Bramptn generally.

Kinda as crass as looking the one undecided (publicly) councilor in the eye and saying you are going to open up investigations on how staff may have approved some of the land deals done by political supporters of his dad were handled. It was a threat and the timing is just as questionable.....politics got ugly in Brampton some time ago and it, really, has got to the point that the only people who put themselves up for "public service" are people who enjoy this sort of political gamesmanship. I am sure there are tons of bright, aware, creative people who could contribute lots to this city....but they clearly shy away from the sort of crass politics that is the norm here now (and has been for a while).

Do you think the LRT will survive the council vote?
As far as I know (and it is not much) there are still 5 decided yes votes....and 5 decided no votes.....Palleschi (the guy who was publicly undecided and forced the delay for facilitation) has yet to show his cards but the rumour (for what that is worth) is that he was/is leaning to vote against the current proposal.

Remember, Council is not voting yeah or nay on LRT they are voting on the current proposal.....and, essentially, voting to overturn a vote of the previous council which was near unanimous in rejecting the current proposal in favour of studying other routes/options.

All I know about the city I grew up in and still live in is that, as we speak, there will be concentrated political efforts going on to solve this and arms will/are be(ing) twisted.

If the circus freaks in Brampton can't agree to free money for transit then the money should be redirected elsewhere to proposals that everyone agrees on such as the Markham Road subway.

If the circus freaks in Brampton can't agree to free money for transit then the money should be redirected elsewhere to proposals that everyone agrees on such as the Markham Road subway.

Ha! That's a good one.

Personally, I'd like to see it go towards the Dundas BRT in Mississauga. That's the #2 priority after the HMLRT.

Back