News   Apr 19, 2024
 655     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Toronto house prices surge

>>Riverdale
Standard-two storey home increased by 47.1 per cent to $500,000
Standard condominium increased by 33.6 per cent to $350,000<<

Huh? Leave it to the brokers to distort the data. I grow more distrusting of the MSM everyday. Not suggesting that the TO single family market isn't strong, but it certainly isn't SURGING. Serge is a guy who works at a fancy hair salon. The TO single family market is steady.

Inflated prices attract a different crowd, with the ability ( one hopes! ) to pay. I think Riverdale has been playing catch-up with Cabbagetown for a number of years in this respect, and is now drawing level.

Inflated prices attract a different crowd, with the ability ( one hopes! ) to pay. I think Riverdale has been playing catch-up with Cabbagetown for a number of years in this respect, and is now drawing level.

The ceiling on Riverdale will always be, THE RIVER. That said, Danforth/subway proximity and desirable streets and topography will always keep these nabe in high demand. I would trade a 'Sauga subdivision McMansion for a comparably priced Riverdale 2-storey any day.

The river? That's equivalent to suggesting Cabbagetown should be more expensive/desirable than Rosedale because of the ravines.

The river? That's equivalent to suggesting Cabbagetown should be more expensive/desirable than Rosedale because of the ravines.

The river and valley form a very distinct psychological gap for buyers. The east side of the DVP clearly delineates to anyone that you're no longer in Rosedale or Cabbagetown. It's common sense. Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey are easily accessible to Manhattan by bridge and tunnel, yet will forever be valued at a discount to prices in Manhattan.

Deal with it.

Why would anyone want to muddle by in the gated community of Cabbagetown, when they could live at delightful remove from all that in the sunny climes across the valley in Riverdale?

I recently took a gander through Riverdale (first time there in 8 years--shocking but true for a lazy westender) and the area north of Danforth (what's the official name for the area between Cosburn/Greenwood/Broadview/Danforth?==i like this area's little postwar bungalows!) and came away impressed: quieter and slightly isolated from downtown but different enough to please my curiousity for everything new and different! While paying $1 million or even $500,000 for a house is far beyond my financial means, how much does a rundown little bungalow go for around there? I want a leakfree roof over my head, but the rest I could care less about! Real estate types, can I find a shack for less than $250,000?

"He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you ..."
- Martin Luther King

So closer will "forever" be more expensive...did Detroiters believe that 50 years ago?

If you're going to compare Toronto to Detroit then you obviously aren't familiar with the economic and cultural diversity of this city. Toronto city 'nabes more closely resemble Manhattan 'nabes than Detroit- FH, Rosedale, Lawrence Park, Cabbage, Beaches, High Park, Yonge/Eg, Moore Park, Kingsway, King West, Danforth, etc. are in incredibly high demand because of their relatively easy access to Toronto's expanding world of amenities and services. That makes Toronto one of the more unique urban centres in North America. Normally you would have to go much farther from the core to get into such desirable 'nabes but not in Toronto. Truly a liveable city imo.

Detroit quite simply, is a crime and drug invested nether region of decades past.

Back