Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

Trash. From top to bottom.
From the outside yes. The interiors are stunning though. @smuncky posted some photos a few pages back. Now that its finished there are some beautiful spaces here. You can see more photos here on expedia.
1547824994296.png

The indoor tennis courts at the fitness club are really nice - light, bright and great windows, unlike most indoor tennis facilities.

2 STRACHAN AVE

Site Plan Control application for a new enclosed elevated pedestrian walkway connecting Hotel X and the Beanfield Centre

Docs are up:

Every time I see an update to this thread, I fantasize that it’ll be “Hotel X” sold, will be closed for exterior renovations

Wish it was the opposite because you can always redo interiors. That exterior is a lost cause.

There are a couple of solutions: allow ivy to take over the concrete facades or zone the area for high rises, with other more interesting towers relegating this one to background noise. The most offensive thing about this tower is that it gets to stand out all by itself in a low rise area.

If the Ontario Place parking lot across the street were to be developed with similar or taller height, this crap would mostly disappear.

I definitely think that there's some merit in developing the Ontario Place parking lots and transforming the area into a year-round mixed-use neighborhood, but that's a discussion for another thread IMO.

If the Ontario Place parking lot across the street were to be developed with similar or taller height, this crap would mostly disappear.

Not really, as it will still be clearly visible to everyone between Lake Shore Blvd and the Gardiner Expressway. And furthermore, I'd like to see this site put to more imaginative uses than just more condos.

I definitely think that there's some merit in developing the Ontario Place parking lots and transforming the area into a year-round mixed-use neighborhood, but that's a discussion for another thread IMO.

Yes. Put the lots underground.

I almost want the gaudy Doug Ford Atlantic City proposal at Ontario Place just so it can crowd out this monstrosity.

I almost want the gaudy Doug Ford Atlantic City proposal at Ontario Place just so it can crowd out this monstrosity.

Old adage - be careful what you wish for. On the other than, a Ferris Wheel would be perfectly fine.

Anyways: re: pedestrian bridge - why is it that neither public nor private developments seem to be able to design aesthetically pleasing supports for these types of structures - it is almost invariably the cheapest looking, crudely done concrete columns.

AoD

Bridge to pay homage to Toronto’s Beanfield Centre
A new pedestrian bridge connecting the Beanfield Centre and Hotel X Toronto has been uniquely designed to retain the heritage facade of the convention centre.

Because Beanfield Centre is a heritage structure it was very important for heritage and for planning that the bridge have an architectural design that was sensitive to the heritage structure itself but also in itself was an architectural piece.”

The bridge is being created to have an impact in the day and evening.

“It’s a ceramic pattern on a laminated glass and there is a tri-coloured, interlayer film that produces a glazing pattern over the glass. We did this intentionally to allow for some site lines that took us from Lake Shore Boulevard to the Enercare Centre,” said Purdy.

“We wanted to create as much natural light coming into that connection as possible.”

Much of the construction of this bridge will happen off site, said Purdy.
More....... https://canada.constructconnect.com...4/bridge-pay-homage-torontos-beanfield-centre

The appropriate place is the Ontario Place thread. I did bring up a suggestion (that I don't necessarily agree with, just threw out there to see what people thought) there for how to transform the area in this post.

Back