Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

I would hope they give some careful consideration to the appearance of the bridge, given how prominently it'll feature behind Princes' Gates.

Actually, is that view corridor not heritage-protected? It really should be. If one were to do a shortlist of the top 10 "Toronto" vistas that'd surely have to be on there

I would hope they give some careful consideration to the appearance of the bridge, given how prominently it'll feature behind Princes' Gates.

Actually, is that view corridor not heritage-protected? It really should be. If one were to do a shortlist of the top 10 "Toronto" vistas that'd surely have to be on there

The bridge is across Newfoundland Road - it shouldn't affect the Princes' Gates. From the NORR Presentation dated Jan 30:
upload_2018-7-13_16-4-7.png

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ep/bgrd/backgroundfile-112264.pdf

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-13_16-4-7.png
    upload_2018-7-13_16-4-7.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,140
Oh, that's my mistake entirely! With the renaming I didn't realize that the Beanfield Centre was the Automotive Building.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was picturing a massive bridge across Princes' Blvd

I'm not even sure if "view corridors" are a thing here - based on a quick Google search, the term/concept seems to be (at least mostly) unique to Vancouver. Just like how "PPUDO" is unique to Totonto (they're still called "Kiss and Ride" in other places). In any case, the greatest potential view corridor IMO (from the waterfront to the Royal York) is already gone.

No: convention planners won't book events here in the first place if there aren't weather-protected connections.

Enercare and the Beanfield Centre have been convention centres for years though. Were they struggling to attract conventions before the hotel was built? (Legit question- I didn't hear of anything myself). The bridge proposal someone quoted even makes mention that "It is anticipated that the construction of this bridge will commence in the fall of 2019 and be completed and operational in the summer of 2020, in time for the heavy show session in the fall / winter of 2020/2021". Therefore they're already at least moderately successful, even in winter with all the snow and ice it brings. So I guess this bridge will mostly help the hotel more than anything

The convention and trade show market s very competitive. The continent is overbuilt with facilities, for the mid-size shows at least, so every advantage they can trot out when trying to win the shows helps. The "heavy show season" reference refers to the continent-wide market, so sure, they already book some shows in the Beanfield and Enercare Centres, yes, but they would not be spending money on this bridge if it were not going to win them more shows to fill up the facilities more often.

Did some shooting of the site today and noticed it market as TEN X, with a number of large signs anchor into the building walls. A few do have hotel X at the bottom.

Starbucks is open, but not sure if the other place that is open as well, will last long there

I have my first clear view of the area under the framing on an angle with a walkway and was expecting to see water on both sides of the walkway, not the existing foundation of the old building. Like it.

They have done a real nice landscaping for the Historical building and a shame most will behind a lock fence around the site. A real improvement on what used to be there.

Back