Toronto Hospital For Sick Children: Peter Gilgan Family Patient Care Tower | 169m | 29s | Sick Kids | Stantec

Here is something I posted to another thread which may be applicable here too...

My background in EMS helicopter operations included providing initial site inspections for hospital heliports. However, that typically involved standing on the roof of an existing building (Sunnybrook and St Mikes) and eyeballing the available approach/departure routes.

To help me visualize a heliport located on top of the HSC tower, I reached out to @steveve who has taken the time to produce one of his amazing infographics.

Looking North, the HSC tower is in yellow.
HSC Tower.jpg

This needs to be studied by a comprehensive obstacle limitation survey, but I really can't see any reason why the heliport can not be relocated to the new tower.

Keep in mind that a heliport on the new tower would require altering the headings of the existing approach/departure corridor cones to a more northerly start point.

However, being positioned on the western edge of the new tower could open up additional approach/departure options (to the north over Queens Park, to the southwest, to the southeast).

I'll toss it back to other UT members about whether or not increasing the height of the zoning limitations is a good thing but keep in mind that altering the angle of the existing cones may overlay properties not currently impacted. Plus the new location could open up the potential of additional approach/departure corridors with the associated zoning restrictions.

I should clarify that the expansion of the approach/departure corridors for HSC and St Mikes is not to mitigate a risk to flight safety. There is nothing unsafe about current operations.

As I've indicated in other threads, limited approach/departure to H1 hospital heliports is a risk to patient outcomes.

There may be times that a narrow approach/departure corridor prevents an EMS helicopter from landing due to wind direction.

Landing at an alternate location and completing the transfer by land ambulance takes time that some patients can not afford.

Thank you @steveve !

*For this evening

Community Consultation Meeting for 555 University Avenue (SickKids Hospital)

Wednesday, April 3, 2024 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
(UTC-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Register for webinar

If you want to attend, register now. When your registration is approved, you'll receive an invitation to join the webinar.

6 p.m. - Introductions
6:10 - City Planning and Applicant Presentations
6:40 - Discussion
7:25 - Next Steps

Back