Toronto IMMIX | 131.06m | 38s | QuadReal | a—A

No, not a very attractive building. They should hire a real Architect.

Seeing a drawing like that really makes you wonder WHO in this town actually gives a sh*t.

When "architects", developers, the city & purchasers are all complicit in designing, building, approving & buying crap like this, is it any wonder our city is taking form as a cheap, mean, generic wasteland?

Where is the mechanism to stop an assault like this from being inflicted upon our city? Not to be hyperbolic, but come ON! Is this what we want Yonge Street to become!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that elevation drawing really is appalling.

It's a shame that this stretch of Yonge is heading in the way of banal glass boxes.

Hopefully it will be a long time before this dreck is approved.

This is the unfortunate slippery slope for approving worthy projects like Five and 501 Yonge - you are now getting these second, third-rate designs that take more than what it offers back, and if the city doesn't approve them, it'd get hauled to the OMB.

AoD

No, not a very attractive building. They should hire a real Architect.

They propose stuff like this for Dubai, why cant we get something nice..
Oh well, here in Toronto as long as the bldg. meets the street well, many people dont give a hoot how it looks up there

Quadrangle Architects Limited

Its not great, but ill take a smaller version of this anytime over whats proposed,

Dubai also has plenty of ugly..

imresolt150xw5.jpg

jbr-01_fhdr.jpg

I don't like this building either, but enough of the "it's Toronto so what do you expect". In the last few weeks we've had countless beautiful proposals here. All around the city there are great things being proposed. This one is ugly, but not because we're in Toronto... It's ugly because all over the world ugly buildings (and nice ones) get proposed.

Attachments

• imresolt150xw5.jpg
    imresolt150xw5.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,129
  • jbr-01_fhdr.jpg
    jbr-01_fhdr.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,198
More.
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.06 PM.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 839
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.16 PM.png
    119 KB · Views: 876
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.27 PM.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 856
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.37 PM.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 848
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at Friday Feb 6, 2015 12.27.46 PM.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 846
Seeing a drawing like that really makes you wonder WHO in this town actually gives a sh*t.

When "architects", developers, the city & purchasers are all complicit in designing, building, approving & buying crap like this, is it any wonder our city is taking form as a cheap, mean, generic wasteland?

Where is the mechanism to stop an assault like this from being inflicted upon our city? Not to be hyperbolic, but come ON! Is this what we want Yonge Street to become!?!?

oh grow up, I'm so tired of this shit. glass boxes are the style of this era in architecture, just like concrete was in the 70s and brick before that. history is filled with cheap generic shit, it's just that most of it hasn't stuck around.

oh grow up, I'm so tired of this shit. glass boxes are the style of this era in architecture, just like concrete was in the 70s and brick before that. history is filled with cheap generic shit, it's just that most of it hasn't stuck around.

Right- so we should not reflect on past mistakes and just build more ill-conceived, ugly shit?

It's people like you who are the problem - you know, little people who feel big and bold when making apologies for laziness, complacency and mediocrity.

you can't change human nature. there's always going to be people building cheaply because of greed, laziness or incompetence. moreover, why are you whining on this forum instead of complaining directly to the city or builders if you actually want to enact change?

Regarding human nature, that's an opinion of yours and not empirical fact. Also I don't see how your approach of calling him out on commenting on an online forum by commenting on that exact forum has any weight. Using your logic, your post is even more 'useless' than his...

Right- so we should not reflect on past mistakes and just build more ill-conceived, ugly shit?

It's people like you who are the problem - you know, little people who feel big and bold when making apologies for laziness, complacency and mediocrity.

Talk about bold particularly if it is being said from an armchair.

you can't change human nature. there's always going to be people building cheaply because of greed, laziness or incompetence. moreover, why are you whining on this forum instead of complaining directly to the city or builders if you actually want to enact change?

This is an open forum that attracts people who are interested in, if not directly involved in, the development of this city. If it's not an appropriate venue in which to express an opinion about an issue like this, I don't know what is. How do you know I don't contact my councillor or the city about issues like this? How do you know I am not involved in BIAs, Ratepayers associations, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the developer's cheapness on the design will translate into a cheapness of vision. Will there be potential for a PATH connection to this site in the future after the northwest corner of Yonge-College is redeveloped? It would be a shame if the College Park-Aura underground connections couldn't expand north.

Back