Markham GTA Centre | ?m | ?s | GTA S. and E. | BBB

The motion to rescind the financial framework (and kill the project) was defeated 7-6, so the project lives on to pass through more hurdles.

I sat through an EIGHT HOUR Markham council meeting to tell you this!

The motion to rescind the financial framework (and kill the project) was defeated 7-6, so the project lives on to pass through more hurdles.

I sat through an EIGHT HOUR Markham council meeting to tell you this!

WOW that is a lot of work for information that I got flicking on Breakfast Television after a good night's sleep! ;)

Forget the maple leaf.....that whole site looks tacky!
Hope it gets built and a NHL team sets up shop. Proper hockey derby!
(Though, I'd rather a proper footy derby as travelling to Montréal is onerous at times.)

Well for now, their chances of landing an NHL team have declined significantly as Phoenix is 99% not moving (it technically isn't a done deal but it's expected to be final on Monday.) Expansion seems destined for Seattle/Portland and Quebec City. Their financial model without a team was BS. The whole proposal hinged on an NHL team and they aren't getting one.

Last edited:
That sucks - Toronto deserves a team too.

Between the timing of stadium construction in Quebec and the divisional realignment making the east now have two teams more than the west, it just wasn't in the cards this time.

That sucks - Toronto deserves a team too.

No we don't. This is Leafs territory and less people actually care about hockey in the GTA than we are led to believe. Beyond the honeymoon phase, a second NHL team here would be an abject failure.

Back