Markham GTA Centre | ?m | ?s | GTA S. and E. | BBB

The NHL have denied giving such indication and, quite the opposite, have repeatedly stated that Markham should consider this rink on the assumption that there would be no team.

While it's true they have denied giving such indication, they would say they have even if they did. They will deny any location is being considered for an expansion up until the second before they announce one is chosen. That is just good business sense by them so as to get as many interested parties to make offers as possible.

It's no different than how an airline will sell you a ticket for a flight two minutes before they go bankrupt and cancel everything. They want as much money as possible.

I don't think they would have proceeded without direct confirmation by the NHL they have at least a chance at getting a team by a certain date.

Last edited:
While it's true they have denied giving such indication, they would say they have even if they did. They will deny any location is being considered for an expansion up until the second before they announce one is chosen. That is just good business sense by them so as to get as many interested parties to make offers as possible.

It's no different than how an airline will sell you a ticket for a flight two minutes before they go bankrupt and cancel everything. They want as much money as possible.

I don't think they would have proceeded without direct confirmation by the NHL they have at least a chance at getting a team by a certain date.

Sure bettman can nudge, nudge, wink, wink the small time councillors in Markham all he wants. What are they going to do in ten years when no team materializes? Sue?

There's a great example of this arena down the 401 in Hamilton.

Maybe they'll be a second team in the GTA, maybe there won't be. Until I hear an announcement from Bettman's lips myself, I'd assume nothing.

Not sure anyone expects the NHL to expand any time soon....if they were, though, the best way to get people interested is not to keep it a secret. It is to announce "we are looking to expand and want to hear proposals from prospective owners/locations".

As for moving teams....I believe the NHL when they say that they tell all possible venues to plan as if there is no NHL. I think we just got an example of why. For several months, if you listened to sports radio or read the sports section you would have believed that the Coyotes fate had already been decided and, next season, they would be in Quebec City. Then a new owner comes along and buys the team with the intention of keeping them in Glendale. The NHL could not risk the kind of law suits that would create if they had indicated to, for example, that Quebec City could have the Coyotes if they approved the arena finances.

And you believe this despite there being real examples of communities that did build arenas without such confirmation/assurances?

Well should wait until a firm not owned by a De Gasperis a Muzzo or a Bratty (if there are any).

Aside from some small builders doing tear-down and in-fill projects, I think pretty much everything in Markham is being developed by major developers like this. You certainly don't see as many mid-size developers as you do in Toronto.

A public meeting has been scheduled next week for the proposed NHL-ready arena in Markham.
On June 27, you’re invited to the Civic Centre for additional information on the overview of the site plan and facility, the integration into the Markham Centre Plan and transportation and transit analysis.
Markham council approved in April the business deal for the $325-million, 20,000-seat sports, entertainment and cultural centre to be built west of the Unionville GO Station and north of Hwy. 407.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1379086--markham-to-offer-more-info-on-nhl-arena

Some updates from the public consultation:

- Enterprise Boulevard will be straightened to make it more of a central avenue and a new road, Markham Live Street, will also head east
- GO line to be decked over by arena (no timeline on this)
- the section of the arena along Enterprise will be four storeys of office and retail
- plan to use Unionville, Langstaff and Mount Joy GO parking lots, with shuttles from the latter two. Everyone thought this was a bit nuts
-because they were planning on 4,000 spots and were counting 2,000 GO spots, plan is only to build 2,000. In reality, I'm sure they will just turn more empty land into parking before it gets developed
-Markham has been discussing with Metrolinx the possibility of 3 more rail trips and "30-37" special event buses. I assume these would be two way, but that wasn't clear
-bridge/tunnel then broad walkway from GO station to arena
-admitted surface parking around arena might be there until 20 years from now

If I see the presentations online, I'll post them here.

Interesting:

The plan, which is expected to be submitted to the city this month and still has a lengthy road to approval, envisions an environmentally friendly arena surrounded by public spaces, restaurants and retail, which people will be able to access by public transit.

The proposal includes increasing city and regional buses, GO trains and even shuttle buses from Union Station. Sterling suggested a surcharge of $25 or more to discourage people from driving to the facility.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...s-fire-questions-at-mayor-and-private-partner

Nothing really new there, that's always been the long term goal. Though they made it clear for the short term there will be surface parking and the like. Now the $25 hasn't been floated around before.

The surprising part is actually that there is still more to do in the approval process, I thought this was a done deal now. Maybe it is more of a planing thing verse getting approvals.

The financial plan is approved, but the application still has to go through all the relevant city departments.

Also, this is the first mention of shuttle buses to union, as far as I know.

Back