Toronto Grange Park | ?m | ?s

I hope they are not going to replace the old light poles with some modernist sh*t like the ones portrayed in the render.

Old lights are awful. Something Home Depot would stock. I don't think going modern is poor choice either.

Presentation from the April 22 Grange Park Advisory Committee Meeting:

http://graphics.artmatters.ca/grang...k-Open-House-Panels-April-22-2014-FOR-WEB.pdf

Not bad at all! The last meeting was July 7 and there should be an updated design.

http://grangeparktoronto.ca/

AoD

I believe at some point there was a washroom building, which I didn't notice in the revisions.........

At any rate, looks pretty decent still, I do see some landscape alterations the path in the s-w quadrant was previously envisioned as having a median w/trees
that is no longer the case. Some details are a bit limited but I perceive (maybe wrongly) a downscaling of the floral features and landscape flourishes.

Still, even if that is the case, a drastic improvement.

A final site visit was done by Councillor Cressy today before construction starts.

I'm not sure how I feel about moving the Henry Moore. I kind of like it as a sidewalk art piece. Putting it in the park will completely change it.

YvULPGA.jpg

Can we not get other art work for the park? Even another Henry Moore. It is the Art Gallery of Ontario. I'm sure that artists of all calibres of importance will be tripping over themselves to display their work there.

I like the final design of the park but I always held out hope that Frank Gehry would come back to finish the work he started on the AGO. I imagine a fish water sculpture and a wave form amphitheatre for small outdoor performances. Would've been a perfect commission for Gehry.

My favourite part of this entire revitalization is how it breaks down the barriers between the AGO and the park. No longer is the AGO turning its back on the Grange. The fences are gone and the AGO is once again looking into the park with steps that people can sit on contemplating the city to the south.

Placing the Moore sculpture at that location seems amateurish. The sculpture doesn't seem to harmonize with the formal lines of the Grange in the background at all. The Grange is supposed to be a focal point when you enter the park from John Street. Sight lines should be as open as possible to the heritage structure.

Placing the Moore sculpture at that location seems amateurish. The sculpture doesn't seem to harmonize with the formal lines of the Grange in the background at all. The Grange is supposed to be a focal point when you enter the park from John Street. Sight lines should be as open as possible to the heritage structure.

I agree. The heritage house should be visible down the street. With proper tree placement, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to see the house from Queen Street and even further south.

I'd like for the Henry Moore to stay at the corner of Dundas and McCaul anchoring the museum as it always has. Place sculptures throughout the park where they don't inhibit sight lines.

There is a way around that - move it to Stephanie and John (park entrance) instead of the centre of the park proper - placing sculptures at the head of a view terminus is a fairly standard thing to do - and the void in the Henry Moore can potentially create some very interesting framing - and identifies the pathway as a key entry point to an "Arts precinct". The corner of Dundas and McCaul need something stronger that can stand out - given the kinetic nature of Dundas Street and the upcoming Rosalie Sharp Pavilion.

Perhaps something like this - but bigger, grander:

http://torontoist.com/2009/08/ask_torontoist_whither_the_ago_neon/

AoD

Last edited:
Henry Moore sculpture: The sculpture Large Two Forms by Henry Moore, currently located on the McCaul-Dundas southwest corner, will move to Grange Park. The sculpture will be placed close to the circular path on the west side of the park.
Whoa. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Seems like the corner of Dundas and McCaul is a much more visible location. Anyone know the reasoning behind the move?

[Edit: OK, I see this has been discussed already upthread. Guess I missed that.]

Definitely a major improvement but I still feel it's somewhat underwhelming given the location. It could have been an open-air extension of the art gallery but instead is little more than a community park, albeit a nicer one with nicer finishes.

The AGO is one of our premier public institutions, and dare I say it 'world class'. This park should should be of the same calibre, it should enlighten, engage and inspire. I'm thinking of aspects of Millennium Park in Chicago or many similar green spaces in Europe that feature art and elevated artistic landscaping. What we are getting here is essentially a lawn with playground. Again, it is a very nice improvement over its existing condition but that isn't really saying very much.

Back