Toronto Grange Park | ?m | ?s

Demolishing the apartment complex is easier said than done. People live there – there are leases to be honored. You can't just kick people out. The rental code is a very slippery slope.

And, compounding it all--it may be obtrusive, but it isn't exactly a "slum". These aren't Regent Park (or Alexandra Park, using an example closer at hand) demos, you know.

Is it Prii, though? I've heard alternate word of its being E. I. Richmond...

I like your plan Metroman. I would also like to see a little french or Italian-style formality added to the main lawns fronting the grange. This would create some nice visuals for statuary and public art. Pea gravel allees and parterres with fountains etc would complete the whole. Heck, maybe some local designers could reimagine the french/Italian formal aesthetic with a more modern, n. american idiom???

2486230295_dccae5580e.jpg

199978611_0fba1b1a69.jpg

And there's already that kiddie pool, which is a perfect example of a feature that begs removal or relocation...

Has there been any talk at all about revitalizing the park?

appears so ... $500,000 from Shangri-la alone as part of a public benefit contribution

I doubt it could be demolished, but as a second best I would have the city expropriate the land currently belonging to the building but adjoining the park, to make the park bigger. It's never used, and seems so utterly pointless.

Unfortunately, I doubt expropriating a "pointless" green roof is feasible either.

Demolishing the apartment complex is easier said than done. People live there – there are leases to be honored. You can't just kick people out. The rental code is a very slippery slope.

Aren't these leases usually a year? That's nothing!

Leases are renewable into perpetuity as long as the tenant is willing to pay the increase allowable by law. You can't kick a tenant out but you can motivate them to move by increasing the rent every year.

I'm just waiting for that little useless parking lot beneath OCAD to dissapear and be integrated into a larger park.

^^Doesn't that parking lot belong to the AGO? I recall there was a plan for this space, but maybe they, or whoever owns this piece of property is waiting to sell?, develop?

p5

To clarify, that parking lot will indeed disappear and form a link between Grange and Butterfield parks. I believe the holdup was the construction on the AGO requiring the parking lot for those involved.

I'm sure it'll be a part of the larger redevelopment of Grange Park once the money starts flowing and the plans come together.

That's a very good idea, MetroMan.

I also completely agree, Simply Dan. I don't know why it's taking so long.

A friend's grandmother used to live in the apartment building, and apparently it has a bit of a pest control problem.

i absolutely love grange park. china town to the north, queen west to the south. it is surrounded by beautiful little houses and is now bordered by two of toronto's most important and iconic buildings. it's connection to john street is also a gem. what a little oasis in the city.

i agree it needs a SLIGHT facelift. i would like to see some stone or brick sidewalks replace the current asphalt paths. a fountain would be great too. and some public works of art from local artists would be fantastic. let's not forget the elementary school's facilities there too.

i always loved the drum circles and musicians that find themselves in nyc parks and hope that grange will soon be a more prominent creative hotbed.

i do worry though that the park will become too famous. i love it's somewhat lowkey status. i guess its fame will be inevitable however, and hopefully with that, will come some beautification.

Back