Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just got this flyer last night at a local community meeting, and have posted it to our neighbourhood website. Steve Munro has also posted it.

Looks like GO is hoping to do another grade separation at the Davenport Diamond, which is where the Newmarket sub (Barrie GO) crosses the CPR tracks near Dupont and Lansdowne (just east of the West Toronto Diamond, currently being grade-separated).

First public open house is on Wednesday April 22, 5:30-8:30pm at St. Josephat's, 55 Pelham St.

DavenportDiamondGrade_OpenHouse1.preview.jpg

Judging by the close proximity to the overpass over Dupont, just south of the diamond, an overpass would be likely be the preferred option. And wow, there really isn't much room to work with at the Davenport Diamond.

This better not end up like the Sniderman diamond where they only left enough space for one track.

Way to have foresight, GO transit. RC Harris would be spinning in his grave.

Do you mean Snider (Newmarket Line) or Hagerman (Stouffville Line)? I'm pretty sure Hagerman (on the Stouffville Line, also passing under 14th Avenue, is only a single-track wide underpass, even though Stouffville has amazing potential, more so than the other York Region GO lines.

This better not end up like the Sniderman diamond where they only left enough space for one track.

How do you know this? I take this train every day, and it looks to me like there's room for another track. Of course, I've never actually measured the distance; I'm only speculating based on what I see out the window.

TOS

Unless you're running service every 5 minutes or better I'm not convinced that a short section of single track will be a barrier.

Aerial photos of the Snider Diamond shows that a second track is quite possible.

Last edited:
Do you mean Snider (Newmarket Line) or Hagerman (Stouffville Line)? I'm pretty sure Hagerman (on the Stouffville Line, also passing under 14th Avenue, is only a single-track wide underpass, even though Stouffville has amazing potential, more so than the other York Region GO lines.

Ha ha. Yes I meant the one on the Stouffville line.

Looks like GO is hoping to do another grade separation at the Davenport Diamond, which is where the Newmarket sub (Barrie GO) crosses the CPR tracks near Dupont and Lansdowne (just east of the West Toronto Diamond, currently being grade-separated).

Is there really a pressing need for this separation? Not that I'm complaining, since I'll benefit from it, but I've been riding the Barrie line for a while and have yet to ever be delayed because of traffic on the CP line. Or do you think that maybe the real reason for this being done is to prepare for the Midtown line?

TOS

Is there really a pressing need for this separation? Not that I'm complaining, since I'll benefit from it, but I've been riding the Barrie line for a while and have yet to ever be delayed because of traffic on the CP line. Or do you think that maybe the real reason for this being done is to prepare for the Midtown line?

TOS

It's to prepare for future expansion on both lines. The barrie line expansions alone will be coming within the next 1 to 2 years.

Are you referring to all-day service, or something else? Speaking of which, do you know where the passing tracks are going to be installed?

TOS

All day service to at least Newmarket, possibly East Gwillimbury.

Don't know where the passing tracks are going to be installed, but they are funded. Either way it proves that you don't have to wait for full double-tracking to improve service.

All day service to at least Newmarket, possibly East Gwillimbury.

Don't know where the passing tracks are going to be installed, but they are funded. Either way it proves that you don't have to wait for full double-tracking to improve service.

really....GO has been selling that story to the Georgetown line for about 20 years! ;)

Back