Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

They’ve started back on the boring, gray, panels again. Hurrah?
IMG_7062.jpeg

They may be boring, but at least they're back to work. The sooner they're done, the sooner the rail path and landscaping work can start. (Or at least not be delayed.)
They are working on those elements too - at least the pieces that precede actual park construction. There's a large storm pipe that runs along the line of the old tracks that's getting trenched and installed now (the big, black, pipe segments are visible in my photo), and work on the bridge over Dupont is now underway. ~20 feet of fill has been added north of the North Toronto bringing grading up to the point where the path will exit onto Davenport. Lots of work on the whole project going at once, it's certainly not being held up by some shitty gray panels.

They are working on those elements too - at least the pieces that precede actual park construction. There's a large storm pipe that runs along the line of the old tracks that's getting trenched and installed now (the big, black, pipe segments are visible in my photo), and work on the bridge over Dupont is now underway. ~20 feet of fill has been added north of the North Toronto bringing grading up to the point where the path will exit onto Davenport. Lots of work on the whole project going at once, it's certainly not being held up by some shitty gray panels.

Lol, I was just thinking of having boom lifts for panel installation moving around on the right-of-way, not that the actual panels themselves could be holding up other work. Overall very great to hear, thanks!

I like to think that the panels can have an art pieces installed on top if funding and wellness partners come forward.
Quite the opposite, unfortunately. "Art" was actively cut from the project's budget. Yay...

Quite the opposite, unfortunately. "Art" was actively cut from the project's budget. Yay...

Yes but it could be organized by the community in the future. Metrolinx wouldn't care if they don't have to pay for it.

I magnified the above substantially and its still hard to get a completely accurate car count on that consist.

@smallspy ; @crs1026 or @Urban Sky might have some insight into what appears to be the longest VIA consist I can remember. Its certainly well north of a dozen cars.
4 Domes (3 Domes and 1 Park, technically...) usually means a rake of 20 carriages. What's so weird about this is it's the first time I've ever seen The Canadian coming in southbound on the Newmarket. I believe something was up on the Bala which is how it normally comes back into the City. What gets me now is how will they flip it back? @smallspy or @crs1026 are probably our best sources for that kind of speculation...

Last edited:
4 Domes (3 Domes and 1 Park, technically...) usually means a rake of 20 carriages. What's so weird about this is it's the first time I've ever seen The Canadian coming in southbound on the Newmarket. I believe something was up on the Bala which is how it normally comes back into the City. What gets me now is how will they flip it back? @smallspy or @crs1026 are probably our best sources for that kind of speculation...

The usual route into Toronto (ie down the Don) was blocked on Friday - so No 2 took the reverse routing across the York Sub and down the Newmarket.

There was no work block on Sunday, so the consist simply left town on the reverse also - up the Bala instead of around the Newmarket and York. I don't know if any cars were switched in or out of the consist. If they were, as single cars there would be plenty of room to wye them at the TMC.

In the past, when VIA had to turn a long intact consist that exceeded the length of the wye at TMC, they would run it out to Bayview and wye it on the Cowpath. Obviously, that's a move of last resort and wasn't needed in this case.

20ish cars is a typical summer consist and not that remarkable. Somewhere recently there was discussion about the absolute longest consist ever, I can't find it but suffice to say even 26-28 is not unheard of.

I wonder if ML could be convinced to paint a long blue trim stripe down the reflective panels. Or even some fake windows.... I much prefer the reflection off the consist to the boring grey of the new panels.

- Paul

Back