Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Here's the RFP announcement from Feb 28, 2018:
Request for Proposals Issued for Davenport Diamond Project
February 28, 2018
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to three shortlisted teams to design, build and finance the Davenport Diamond Rail Grade Separation project. This project is part of Metrolinx's work to provide faster, more frequent and convenient transit service across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, as part of the GO Regional Express Rail (RER) program.
The shortlisted teams-Davenport Construction Partners, Graham Commuter Rail Solution and Steelhead-were selected based on criteria identified in the Request for Qualifications process. Criteria included design and construction experience, and the financial capacity to deliver a project of this size and complexity.
The teams have been invited to respond to the RFP and will begin preparing proposals that detail how they will design, build and finance the project. Once submissions are received, IO and Metrolinx will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred proponent and then negotiate a final contract. The successful proponent is expected to be announced in fall 2018. A fairness monitor is overseeing the entire procurement process.
A copy of the RFP is available at www.infrastructureontario.ca
Scope of work for the project includes:
  • Construction of a grade separation structure between the north/south GO Rail corridor and east/west CP Rail corridor to minimize delays to GO service
  • Implementation of a pedestrian underpass to restore east/west connection at Paton Road
  • Erection of retaining walls forming the approaches of the grade separation structure, topped with noise barrier walls and superimposed cladding to minimize impacts on the community
  • Construction of a rail guideway offset within the corridor during construction to accommodate a temporary diversion track and a temporary rail diamond
  • Modification of an existing at-grade road crossing at Wallace Avenue to become a road under rail grade separation
  • Enhancements to the public realm, including artwork on the structure cladding and new pedestrian and cyclist routes
  • Provisions for future electrification implemented within upgraded rail infrastructure to accommodate future electrified GO train service.
Collaborating with local communities to design new public infrastructure is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
Quick Facts:
  • Ontario is investing $21.3 billion to transform the GO rail network from a commuter transit system to a regional rapid transit system, including the GO RER program, which will provide faster, more frequent service with electrification on core segments of the GO network.
  • Work on the Davenport Diamond project is key component of the GO RER program. As part of GO RER, Metrolinx is undertaking major infrastructure upgrades, including additional tracks, GO station modifications, improved rail crossings, systems for electrification, and new locomotives and train control systems to enable more frequent service.
  • The project is being delivered as a Design Build Finance contract using Infrastructure Ontario's Alternative Financing and Procurement model, which transfers risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
  • Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, visit Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Quotes:
“Eliminating the level crossing at the Davenport Diamond will improve safety and allow us to add new, electrified rail service in this corridor. Our government is committed to working with the community to ensure their perspectives are included in the project's final design.”
Kathryn McGarry, Minister of Transportation
“The Davenport Diamond project is a critical component of the improvements to GO transit and the delivery of GO Regional Express Rail. These types of transit improvements are critical because they keep people and goods moving, communities growing, and they help build Ontario up.”
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
“The Davenport Diamond project will be an exciting addition to the community, with a new greenway park, an extension of the West Toronto Railpath, and integrated international-calibre artwork. As part of our GO Transit Expansion program, customers will enjoy more and better GO services, less road traffic and more safety.”
Phil Verster, President and CEO, Metrolinx
“We have three qualified teams vying for the Davenport Diamond contract. We look forward to receiving competitive proposals and announcing a successful proponent to deliver this important part of the RER program later this year.”
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
Learn More

Infrastructure Ontario
Metrolinx
RER
BuildON
Contacts:
Lisa DiMenna
Infrastructure Ontario
416-326-9378
Anne Marie Aikins
Metrolinx
416-202-5796
Disponible en français
https://www.infrastructureontario.c...-RER-Davenport-Diamond-Rail-Grade-Separation/

OK, let's see if I'm translating this correctly: "The successful proponent is expected to be announced in fall 2018."

To me, that reads: "The successful proponent is expected to be announced in fall 2018"

But of course, to others it seems, it says "Lucy in the Sky with Davenport Diamonds'.

Here's the RFP announcement from Feb 28, 2018:

https://www.infrastructureontario.c...-RER-Davenport-Diamond-Rail-Grade-Separation/

OK, let's see if I'm translating this correctly: "The successful proponent is expected to be announced in fall 2018."

To me, that reads: "The successful proponent is expected to be announced in fall 2018"

But of course, to others it seems, it says "Lucy in the Sky with Davenport Diamonds'.
Why are going back that far?
From this announcement:

It says:
"Over the next few months, submissions will be evaluated and a successful proponent is expected to be announced in spring 2019. A fairness monitor is observing the procurement process. "

Why are going back that far?
From this announcement:

It says:
"Over the next few months, submissions will be evaluated and a successful proponent is expected to be announced in spring 2019. A fairness monitor is observing the procurement process. "
So let's get this straight. You're saying that the information...the *terms* of the initial RFP are not only non-binding, but they're changing?

You can find examples by googling 'Schedule 18 Infrastructure Ontario'.
I see, except every instance of "Schedule 18' that I Google is specific to an agreement. Since you find it so easy to understand, perhaps you'll actually link the "Schedule 18" to the instance in this discussion?

^Judging by other contracts, Schedule 18 is boilerplate language that Infrastructure Ontario attaches to AFP contracts. This schedule sets out communications roles and responsibilities regarding the project. The contractor usually has to develop and execute a communications plan, but they are required to coordinate their efforts with the buyer (ie Metrolinx). You can find examples by googling 'Schedule 18 Infrastructure Ontario'.

- Paul

I assume it's in here? "Schedule 18 - Communications Protocol". There's a watermark on this PDF that says "For Information Purposes Only" so I assume it's a template?

Attachments

• DES-ProjectAgreement.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 519
Last edited:
My experience (yes, I worked on an IO RFP once, and that's all I can say) is that IO works from a "model AFP document" that is the starting point for their contracts. The Schedules are boilerplate for generic topics (such as project communication) that all of their contracts will need to have included. They pick or omit schedules as each contract requires, but their numbering is consistent from one contract to the next. So "Schedule 18" becomes code for "The communications protocol". Obviously, the exact provisions may get tweaked for each project, but the intent is to cover processes in a consistent manner.

Here is the link to a totally non-GO-related IO document that has such a Schedule 18. If you google other IO documents, the Schedule 18 is similar.

- Paul

Absolutely no mention of the Davenport Diamond heist at the Town Hall Meeting. I'm just utterly shocked, shocked I tell you.

What a frustrating experience bothering to watch the Metrolinx Town Hal...Squirrel!

Questions from the Top Ten @ Engage were purposely ignored. I bite my fingertips from adding more.
Metrolinx
10 m
For those online (and in the audience) If your question is NOT answered during the event,..
Metrolinx
10 m
Please submit it on https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/engagement-initiatives/ask-metrolinx.
Metrolinx
10 m
All questions will be answered there in a few business days.
H

Hayden
9 m
You can't submit questions there now
S

steveintoronto
9 m
[Metrolinx now All questions will be answered there in a few business days.]
S

steveintoronto
9 m
I'll quote you on that...
https://livestream.com/accounts/7089549/events/7965030

"Few business days"....
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/metrolinx-other-items-catch-all.27710/page-50#post-1445771

There you go folks...follow the can down the road...

‘YIKES!!!’ Metrolinx draft reports give insight into how agency pitches transit plans
By Ben SpurrTransportation Reporter
Thu., May 9, 2019
[...]
Metrolinx’s decision on both stations would be closely watched. St. Clair-Old Weston is part of Tory’s SmartTrack proposal, while Bloor-Lansdowne would improve transit access in the “Davenport Diamond” community where Metrolinx’s plan to build an elevated track for use by GO and freight trains has angered many residents.

Ten days after the draft stated the cost-benefit ratios for both Bloor-Lansdowne and St. Clair-Old Weston were negative, the public version of the report recorded the ratios as positive, although still less than 1, and recommended both stations be pursued.

Metrolinx explained the switch by telling the Star it’s not unusual for business cases to change as they’re reviewed for completeness or errors. In the case of St. Clair-Old Weston, the agency told the Star the earlier analysis that showed its cost-benefit ratio was negative contained an error caused by someone inputting incorrect numbers.

The notes in the Feb. 6 draft report that raised concerns about the “compromised” design of Lawrence station also flagged potential issues with Bloor-Lansdowne and St. Clair-Old Weston.

They stated the proposed Bloor-Lansdowne station on GO’s Barrie line would be “(very) close” to the existing GO station on the Kitchener line at Bloor St. and Dundas St. W., only about 360 metres to the west.

And while the Bloor-Lansdowne station would provide a connection to the TTC subway for GO’s Barrie line passengers, that line is already connected to the subway network further north at Downsview Park and “people on Barrie could just transfer at Downsview,” the notes said.

The notes also asserted the connection between the proposed Bloor-Lansdowne GO station and the Lansdowne TTC station was “not great” and Metrolinx’s model “overestimates” the number of riders it would attract, but stated the GO stop at Lansdowne had been “promised as part of” the Davenport Diamond project.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ht-into-how-agency-pitches-transit-plans.html

Yet again, I'm just so shocked, shocked I tell you!

Gosh, maybe Metrolinx did post answers at the Engage website, for five minutes or so, took them down fast, and now it's all our fault for not watching for the Bait and Switch.

Today's fatal accident involving a freight train shows how important this project is for the Barrie GO line. The stalled freight train blocked the Davenport Diamond for GO trains for several hours:

Today's fatal accident involving a freight train shows how important this project is for the Barrie GO line. The stalled freight train blocked the Davenport Diamond for GO trains for several hours:
assuming this was a suicide, people will still find places to jump in front of trains, with or without the overpass

Back