News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Anything else of interest happen?

Also anyone know if it's been posted anywhere yet?
It's uploaded now:

Edit: Seems like you already saw it. Wait, is that actually you or a fake account?

Questions were mostly about bus service north of the city, and about Presto.... for rail, the interesting comments were

1:01- Re Stouffville projects - deadline of completion for track projects, early 2020 and Spring 2020; stations early 2021; looking at Grade Separation for Scarborough Jct but that will be delivered by Projectco after the MOP3 is awarded

1:11 - Have done two previous studies re use of CP corridor to Bolton, last study was 2015 - cost and densities did not justify - respondent appeared to perhaps have confused the Orangeville and Bolton corridors as she maintained that "the line is in very poor shape"

1:19 - Etobicoke North - Verster declares it will not be shut down until Woodbine is built - seems like a miscommunication to participant, who believed that EN is to be closed Sept 2nd of this year - quite plausible that the 401/409 tunnel work will complete before Woodbine is built, so maintaining EN would delay completion of the fourth track addition

1:23 - Barrie Contract 1 - recently let for expansion and grading will be completed in 2023 Then there will be contracts 2 and 3 which will carry on to 2023 and 2024 (PS: I was impressed that the respondent seemed to have a handle on when specific contracts were to conclude... a more definitive answer than we usually hear about these, even if the dates are a few years away)

1:25 - Barrie Contract 2 includes flat parking at Maple, rather than a structure - looking at parking expansion via a developer rather than as a GO project as previously announced

- Paul

Ontario Supports Transit? Metrolinx Subsidy Cut By 30% (Updated)

See Steve Munro's full report via this link.

On June 27, 2019, the Metrolinx Board will meet to consider various items including their 2019-2020 Business Plan and 2018-2019 Draft Annual Report. This will be a challenging year for Metrolinx because its subsidy will fall from the budgeted level of $467 million in 2018-19 to $321.2 million in 2019-20 thanks to the machinations of the Ford government. (The amount provided in the 2018-19 government spending estimates was even higher than Metrolinx’ budget figure at $505 million, but actual requirements were lower.)

There was no press release or photo op announcing this change, and it was buried in the detailed estimates for the Ministry of Transportation. Funding for Metrolinx operating subsidies appears under “Vote 2702” within the estimates.

Questions were mostly about bus service north of the city, and about Presto.... for rail, the interesting comments were

1:01- Re Stouffville projects - deadline of completion for track projects, early 2020 and Spring 2020; stations early 2021; looking at Grade Separation for Scarborough Jct but that will be delivered by Projectco after the MOP3 is awarded

1:11 - Have done two previous studies re use of CP corridor to Bolton, last study was 2015 - cost and densities did not justify - respondent appeared to perhaps have confused the Orangeville and Bolton corridors as she maintained that "the line is in very poor shape"

1:19 - Etobicoke North - Verster declares it will not be shut down until Woodbine is built - seems like a miscommunication to participant, who believed that EN is to be closed Sept 2nd of this year - quite plausible that the 401/409 tunnel work will complete before Woodbine is built, so maintaining EN would delay completion of the fourth track addition

1:23 - Barrie Contract 1 - recently let for expansion and grading will be completed in 2023 Then there will be contracts 2 and 3 which will carry on to 2023 and 2024 (PS: I was impressed that the respondent seemed to have a handle on when specific contracts were to conclude... a more definitive answer than we usually hear about these, even if the dates are a few years away)

1:25 - Barrie Contract 2 includes flat parking at Maple, rather than a structure - looking at parking expansion via a developer rather than as a GO project as previously announced

- Paul

I just got a survey from the Presto panel asking about what transit planning apps I use and the last question was if I would like for triplinx to be incorporated into the Presto app. I've only used triplinx a few times and don't really like it as much as I do city mapper mainly because it's only focused on only one city. City mapper is a better app because it can be used in many different cities worldwide.

I just got a survey from the Presto panel asking about what transit planning apps I use and the last question was if I would like for triplinx to be incorporated into the Presto app. I've only used triplinx a few times and don't really like it as much as I do city mapper mainly because it's only focused on only one city. City mapper is a better app because it can be used in many different cities worldwide.
LOL ... wanted to know why I preferred Google Maps ... because it works in London, New York, Vancouver, Montreal ... I'm not even sure why we need TripLinx any more. Hopefully they don't take my response, and spend taxpayer money to add London, New York ...

I'm not familiar with City mapper. Hmm, I'll have to check this out ... https://citymapper.com/toronto

LOL ... wanted to know why I preferred Google Maps ... because it works in London, New York, Vancouver, Montreal ... I'm not even sure why we need TripLinx any more. Hopefully they don't take my response, and spend taxpayer money to add London, New York ...

I'm not familiar with City mapper. Hmm, I'll have to check this out ... https://citymapper.com/toronto
City mapper is pretty much like Google maps but focused on transit only. It also adds in options for using Uber as well. In London they have even started there own bus service.

I got that survey too. I mentioned the Transit App as the one I use. However, I also described a Metrolinx App that all transit systems can create modules or extensions for instead of Metrolinx doing it alone by merging the Presto and Triplinx Apps. Something that large would require the transit agencies to agree with Metrolinx to develop their mobile applications, which would be similar to the process of implementing Presto as the smart card of the systems, though I hope they can develop and ship the app modules themselves.

Is Ford’s team corrupt or just incompetent?

One minister high on Ford’s inner circle’s “bad list” is Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney, who they apparently feel is no longer playing ball with them. Mulroney reportedly had some difficult interactions with French before he resigned, which Ford ignored when they were brought to his attention.

Feel free to speculate wildly

I think the answer is both.

We all know how backwards and regressive the Conservatives were on Transit issues, and have been since the departure of Bill Davis 35 years ago (who I'd have happily voted for!) But the depth of corruption and incompetence has surprised even me.

I'm not sure it's a particularly Metrolinx issue though - which seems somewhat insulated from the situation. With perhaps Mulroney providing a further buffer now. Though they can't function well without proper direction and funding - which is unlikely to happen until after the next election.

One minister high on Ford’s inner circle’s “bad list” is Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney, who they apparently feel is no longer playing ball with them. Mulroney reportedly had some difficult interactions with French before he resigned, which Ford ignored when they were brought to his attention.

Feel free to speculate wildly
Well, Caroline M and Christine Elliott are (or were?) often spoken of as 'the adults' and possible Doug replacements. That alone is hardly likely to endear them to friends of our "Dear Leader" and thus they may well be on their 'bad list'.

Of course, many people might argue that neither of them has shown any backbone in trying to put a stop to some of the worst ideas of the Fordites so would say that they have both forfeited any claims to being either an adult or a potential leader, Mulroney in particular (as she had to sign off on it) seemed to go along with using the "Not-Withstanding Clause" over the City Council foolishness.

Back