Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Hopefully the double and triple glazed windows would reduce the "noise" in both cases.

They are building all the Leslie / Sheppard condos next to the 401 with large balconies on them. Makes no sense to me, a solarium would be much better. Can use it all year round and with triple pane windows, can actually enjoy it.

Actually I find most people don't even use balconies at all. They are more a status symbol. In my building, no one barely uses them, except my neighbour of course, who has loud parties on them until 3am.... of course.

You will discover that the majority of the units close to the highway are typically the AirBnb, rented and unoccupied (foreign money hiding) units.
well regardless, the simple fact is this.... large metropolitan areas will have road noise and rail noise. it's just a simple fact of life and for those who dont like
urban growth and are trying to hearken back to the good ol 70s suburban feel, too bad. They are free to move up to york region if they wish

Richmond/Adelaide/Eastern ramps are often overlooked in these discussions about living next to highways. Obviously lower speed and not an actual highway. But they're urban and incorporated well alongside the road. Do wonder how many years the windows and doors will be soundproof. Gaskets and seals wear down over time.

well regardless, the simple fact is this.... large metropolitan areas will have road noise and rail noise. its just a simple fact of life and for those who dont like
urban growth and are trying to hearken back to the good ol 70s suburban feel, too bad. They are free to move up to york region if they wish
... or move to Eglinton West, McCowan, and Weston or perhaps downtown Boston or downtown Brussels where putting things that we want to move fast underground was seen as a benefit to the urban environment. If people don't like the city turning to crap they should move out and stop complaining. Hip-hip-horray for noise and freeways! Let's finish the Allen Expressway to Gardiner connection! Don't like it... it isn't the 70s?

... or move to Eglinton West, McCowan, and Weston or perhaps downtown Boston or downtown Brussels where putting things that we want to move fast underground was seen as a benefit to the urban environment. If people don't like the city turning to crap they should move out and stop complaining. Hip-hip-horray for noise and freeways! Let's finish the Allen Expressway to Gardiner connection! Don't like it... it isn't the 70s?
so youre an underground crusader as well i see....ok.. .lets bury everything.... tell me then, how will be pay for it? Dont forget your exemplar Boston tunnel cost billions more than projected.
Are you going to pay for the extra cost of underground construction and cost overruns a la eglinton station?

If that's something we did, we would be so far ahead from literally every regional rail system in the world.

The only regional rail system that I know of that has Platform Doors is TFL Rail in London - but that's only for the underground stations, and then I believe a few east asian cities have them. That's it.
And this city isn't exactly great at leading at anything regarding transit (aside from maybe "how slowly can you build it", we're probably a world leader at that).

so youre an underground crusader as well i see....ok.. .lets bury everything.... tell me then, how will be pay for it? Dont forget your exemplar Boston tunnel cost billions more than projected.
Are you going to pay for the extra cost of underground construction and cost overruns a la eglinton station?
Shift the money from things that don't need to be underground (i.e. LRT on Eglinton West with huge distances between intersections) and put it where it makes more sense (i.e. a dive under the CP corridor) perhaps. Certainly building the city people want to live in is more expensive than building a purely utilitarian city and we need to decide if we are building a city that is desirable to live in, or simply to commute within.

If it were up to me, I'd much rather have an electric train whoosh by every 10 minutes than 24/7 car tire noise. Yes, you tune it out pretty quickly. But I'm always struck by how much quieter it is when I'm on a side street away from my building.

Car related noise seems like the much greater irritant to me than trains.

And this city isn't exactly great at leading at anything regarding transit (aside from maybe "how slowly can you build it", we're probably a world leader at that).
eh I don't know, I think cities like LA might offer some competition with that.

And I am definitely not an "underground crusader". Burying the Scarborough Subway and Eglinton West LRT make zero sense at all. Scarborough Subway which is replacing an existing rapid transit that already has an at grade ROW with no level crossings and an established above grade segment is getting replaced with an underground subway. How does that make any sense at all? Obviously if the Scarborough subway ran where the SRT is now it wouldn't change the livability of the city at all and would be far cheaper. Eglinton LRT is going at surface in Scarborough on Eglinton East and there are more intersections and conflicts there than there are on Eglinton West. How does it make sense to build underground there? But in a place in a dense urban environment with heavy rail... that should be elevated?? There is no way that a trench under the CP corridor on the Barrie line (similar to West Toronto Diamond or Weston) would be as expensive as those places, and would be far cheaper than Eglinton West and Scarborough Subway. But unfortunately people think it is wise to spend hundreds of millions more to bury transit in suburban environments and put transit at people's bedroom windows in urban environments.

I'm sure that when the 6am train goes by their bedroom windows their thought will be "the park under the underpass is so worth it".
I wonder what the difference might be in noise level.
The guideway would have sound barriers at track level, so that would address wheel squeal, etc., but the locomotive noise could be an issue. I'm not sure how much difference there would be between noise travelling up from at-grade to being level across. ie..e the trains were already there, so maybe they've become accustomed to the noise.

And I am definitely not an "underground crusader". Burying the Scarborough Subway and Eglinton West LRT make zero sense at all. Scarborough Subway which is replacing an existing rapid transit that already has an at grade ROW with no level crossings and an established above grade segment is getting replaced with an underground subway. How does that make any sense at all? Obviously if the Scarborough subway ran where the SRT is now it wouldn't change the livability of the city at all and would be far cheaper. Eglinton LRT is going at surface in Scarborough on Eglinton East and there are more intersections and conflicts there than there are on Eglinton West. How does it make sense to build underground there? But in a place in a dense urban environment with heavy rail... that should be elevated?? There is no way that a trench under the CP corridor on the Barrie line (similar to West Toronto Diamond or Weston) would be as expensive as those places, and would be far cheaper than Eglinton West and Scarborough Subway. But unfortunately people think it is wise to spend hundreds of millions more to bury transit in suburban environments and put transit at people's bedroom windows in urban environments.
The fact that money is being wasted in one place is not an argument for wasting money in other places.

And if you can save money by removing excessive features on one project, it doesn’t mean the money should be spent on excessive features on another project. That money should be used for other things - more projects, reducing deficit, whatever.

Decisions like whether or not to tunnel should be made solely from a cost-benefit perspective. Does it provide enough benefit to justify the additional cost, how can we maximize benefit-cost ratio. Obviously some costs and benefits are not easily quantifiable, but still, weighing costs and benefits is the only valid reasoning for justifying a project. If visual impact and slightly more noise for a few dozen homes is worth a couple hundred million, then bury the Davenport Diamond. If not, don’t. Whether or not other projects wasted money or not should never be a part of that equation.

Platform doors for GO Trains? Nah. The powers-that-be would be more concerned about saving money than saving lives.
The only regional rail system that I know of that has Platform Doors is TFL Rail in London - but that's only for the underground stations, and then I believe a few east asian cities have them. That's it.

Seriously, guys?

UP-Express-train.jpeg

union-pearson-express.jpg

It's in two of four current stations soon to be five with no plans for platform edge doors outside of Union station and the airport.
I'll hope that should Open Doors Toronto 2022 happen in May, 2022, that we will be able to see Mt. Dennis Station AND the GO/UPX platforms to see what they'll look like by the time it opens by October 9, 2022. Platform doors or not.

Last edited:

Back