Toronto Frank Stollery Parkette | ?m | ?s

Yes I'd have to agree that those electrical boxes are very hideous to look at. I would have also made those bollards either black or stainless steel. On the landscape architect's site description, it stated that the water wall would help wash out the traffic noise, but seeing that it's merely a minuscule 5 feet tall, I don't see that panning out all to well. I was expecting something of a taller and larger scale. But regarding the no feeding signs not working at Nathan Phillips Square, the scale of that site compared to this is totally different. Nathan Phillips Square is a major large-scaled tourist attraction. You can have numerous people feeding pigeons at the same time but yet people won't feel like they'll get arrested or anything from breaking the law because it is a tourist site after all. Whereas the case at Frank Stollery Park is that it's within a residential neighourhood. Residents WILL be fed up about having their private property being taken over by pigeons and their droppings. So perhaps one would be less likely to break the law here. I don't want this to happen --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj85CpRNfgY

can someone snap a pic of the park from the angle showing the water feature?

Okay: if the water feature is still a part of this, then it is going in last, where the cement truck is parked in the photos below...

but I'm getting the idea, strange as it may seem, that Frank Stollery Parkette may be a victim of

The Cheapening™

FStolleryPkt1.jpg

FStolleryPkt2.jpg

As seen above: Huh? What?

FStolleryPkt3.jpg

FStolleryPkt4.jpg

FStolleryPkt5.jpg

FStolleryPkt6.jpg

FStolleryPkt7.jpg

Last edited:
The garden and the small park is a very good addition in the area, but there is some safety issue which hasn’t been addressed yet; the developer didn’t place any concrete or metal bracket between street level and garden area. Therefore, if there is no any traffic protect, one day it may possible a motorist may lost his control and easily enter unprotect area.

This could theoretically happen anywhere in the city, so if we're to address it here, we might as well fence off every kilometre of sidewalk from the street in the whole city. Although the raised planters and trees already barricade much of the park, and will only get stronger as they grow.

Don't they use bollards in Europe for these sorts of public spaces where roads intersect?

Anyhow, the park is much nicer in person if you don't look too closely at details and just enjoy the overall idea of it, like the view of the Masonic Hall which makes for a nice backdrop.

checked it out today: three comments:

1. I was expecting the planters to be seating height with sufficient width to sit on, but they are only about 6 inches high. Instead of the standalone benches, they could have incorporated them into the planters and saved valuable space.

2. this parkette is surrounded by traffic, so I hope they have planned something to reduce the noise to those who use it.

3. Couldn't they have moved the yellow hydrant a bit in so it doesn't block the sidewalk?; it also sticks up awkwardly.

Last edited:
That's a sad looking parkette. Is that a fence (and why?), or a bike rack?
A boring feature for a boring building.

Last edited:
Honestly, why bother putting in something like this? Or will the trees redeem it when they grow to 20-30 feet?

From today...
20100829026.jpg

What is the purpose of that brick square in the front and back of the park? I thought it was going to be a fountain but it's not. Those planters are not attractive. They should at least fill it in with leafy plants, like on Bloor. What a disappointment!

Back