Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

Hmmm, the signage was one of the attractive features of the exterior... what's the deal?

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed with the signage.

So it looks like I'm in charge now ;)

Great Naomi Klein joke blixa! Ahhhhh, and I'm already having a good morning despite the rain...

...but that's not for a projects and construction thread.

Again, re signage, I prefer the old-fashioned "Inn On The Park" font; y'know, that gothicky 60s thing that complimented the 4S tree logo better...

The logo and name are back up, but without the cross-bracing this time. In other words, the letters and logo are affixed directly to the brick.

What's with the still dug out sidewalk along university avenue? The building's been done for months now... what could possibly be taking so long to complete along that west face?

^^ It's a parking lot for construction personnel it seems. It would have been more appropriate to close one lane on Richmond St. instead. Having a lane of the very busy Queen St. closed for so long is unacceptable.

List of remaining tasks:
1- replace metal joints on glass façades
2- Finish subway entrance on University Av.
3- Pave sidewalk on University Av.
4- Open café on Queen

Can anybody think of anything else?

The logo and name are back up, but without the cross-bracing this time. In other words, the letters and logo are affixed directly to the brick.

[sarcasm]Good to see the 4SC paying attention to the aesthetics of the exterior of the building[/sarcasm]

Funny how the extended sidewalk closure hasn't been the subject of the Star's Fixer yet...

Aren't they working on the subway connection directly to the building? Would make sense that it takes a little while to complete if they need to dig under Queen St.

JG

There's always been a subway entrance there. No need to redig under Queen St.

It seems as if they changed their minds a couple of times. They initially covered over the existing South-East corner oriented towards University avenue, then dug up one oriented toward Queen St on the same corner... then covered that one up and are digging again where the original entrance was.

:rolleyes

"What's with the still dug out sidewalk along university avenue? The building's been done for months now... what could possibly be taking so long to complete along that west face?"

don't forget that anything involving the TTC is guaranteed to take 30 times longer than expected. incredible that the entire opera house was built in no time but the subway entrance takes forever

is broadview station finished yet? 5 years and counting!

I read in a New York Times piece about the opera house (around the time of the opening) that the delay in the front was actually a sewer issue. Apparently, when hooking everything up (or in excavation), they discovered that the very old brick sewers in that area were in much worse shape than they'd been expecting, and it was the repairs to that infrastructure that was taking so long. The same point about slow work by the TTC applies to the city, of course.

Are there any plans for trees or landscaping along the Queen side?

Back