Toronto Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts | ?m | 5s | COC | Diamond Schmitt

My Druidic advisers inform me that on Wednesday June 14th 2006, from 7:30 pm onwards, the sun and the planets will be so aligned as to ensure that a particularly flattering light will be bounced down through the City Room skylight for the sole purpose of bathing those who venture into the path of said rays in a golden and transformative celestial aura that will guarantee them boundless and eternal wisdom and uncorruptible beauty. And my Druids never fail me.

Got me Gala ticket yesterday.

Cocktails from 6:00 to 7:00, Really Big Show from 7:30 to 9:00 with no intermission.

The northbound lane of University will be closed from Richmond to Queen. Women with large bustles and farthingales will doubtless parade their gowned selves for the media. Live coverage on a big screen in Nathan Phillips Square.

Mine arrived yesterday too. Black tie recommended. Which means that some stupid schlub will come in a business suit and think himself appropriately dressed.

Can a moderator close this thread or move it to the general discussions forum? It doesn't belong here.

Burgher: What is your basis for claiming a few days ago that the glass staircase is "still coming" and "well behind schedule" as a result of "massive problems"?

It is almost finished!

Burgher, if you look at the forum rules you'll find this thread does not break them.

The thread's topic doesn't break any rules, but three quarters of the posts contained within do. Given that the discussion has shifted from talk about the opera house to talk about opera the thread would now seem better suited to general discussions. Or perhaps a second thread could be started in the other forum.

Regardless, I'm just going to ignore the thread now, since I'm being equally off-topic and contributing to the problem.

The posts are neither personal attacks, in bad taste, nor spam. Tha's what the rules forbid.

Getting back to the topic at hand - acoustics - my friend Bruce was at a piano recital by Richard Goode at the Walt Disney Hall a couple of months ago, and said the sound is excellent.

But when I spoke to the COC guy on my tour of the Four Seasons Centre, he pointed out that the orchestra at the Disney sometimes has trouble hearing one another properly. I've also heard that the Disney sound is too "lively" and that the sound of a "cougher" unwrapping a candy can be heard all over the joint.

Some places give out free candies - Halls and Ricola - in the lobby before people go in. I always chew gum.

Is there a rendering of this glass staircase? So the risers and treads will be glass-on-glass but I'd imagine it would have some sort of metal poles or pillars or railings supporting it, right?

"Given that the discussion has shifted from talk about the opera house to talk about opera the thread would now seem better suited to general discussions."

Yeah, to talk about opera in a thread about a new opera house...how inappropriate.

Yeah, heavon forbid we should demonstrate some excitment and passion about a building and its usage! This is an 'urban Toronto' forum isn't it?

Off-topic far-ranging tangents, along with diatribes, are what make this board interesting.

So yeah, did you hear trump is cancelled for sure this time?

Back