Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

urbantoronto-7114-23752.jpg

a_zps32365969.jpg

Last edited:
I love the way this stretch of King Street is now. I don't like that fact that such a project, the announcement of which is an occasion that should have been met with a lot of happiness and acclaim, has been fraught and made partial because of where Mr. Mirvish is insisting it go.

Looking at this latest incarnation, I'm more excited than I was initially about seeing it go up. However, it doesn't negate the fact that this strip of King Street is wonderful, a loveable and yes, important foil to all the machine-scale new construction going up around it. People who say it's not worth spending time on might want to take a look at Butcher's Block behind the Shangri-la, or at the home at Sherbourne and Adelaide, what rehab has done there. Then there's the matter of the Princess Of Wales Theatre. It seems Mr. Mirvish wants to be thanked for what he gives but never criticized for what he takes away - things that people have made matter in the interim.

Maybe a positive compromise would work:
For one, have Mr. Mirvish build a new theatre. It needn't be quite as large as The Princess Of Wales was, but still have it be handsome and workable. It could go on a nearby parking lot, or off towards the distillery district or St. Lawrence Market, or even on Queens Quay East near Corus and Monde. Heaven knows that area could use a jump start. Secondly, dismantle the King Street building's facades and move them east of Yonge and rebuild them, with new interiors. Maybe move them down to Bayfront: Bonnycastle street near George Brown looks like it might suit them. They would look good down by the water, especially since King Street was very nearly at the shoreline itself once.

It's getting foolish to turn down what is becoming a spectacular project. However, it is also foolish to deny our history or any preservation of it as being soft-headed, bleeding-heart or sentimental. Surely something wonderful could be done here to save our history in some form, while keeping what was thought to be lost. It would be win-win-win all around.

Last edited:
I actually love the idea of moving the facades to bay front. Maybe the city could get into talks with waterfront toronto over that? It seems like a reasonably compromise that allows for the history to inject an area of the city with none.

Some shots of the model last night - I'm sure Interchange42 will have an article up soon on the details of the presentation and meeting with David Mirvish, Adam Vaughan & Craig Webb regarding the project, discussion on the evolution of the project (including previous design concepts that retained heritage features & PoW) and some of the comments/concerns from the community.... No one from the UT super-tall fan club appeared to make a deputation.

8492385408_92905e4c7a.jpg

8492388314_4ef25efda4.jpg

8492391274_ac9aa96a24.jpg

Last edited:
When I first heard about this project I was surprised to see so many people who don't want it built. But I think in this case, the people who live in the ward should not have more of a say than other residents of the municipality of Toronto. This is downtown we're talking about, it's not just another residential neighbourhood, it's an area meant for monuments and public art and tall buildings. If the majority of toronto residents want this built I think the naysayers should step aside or risk becoming just another special interest group that leaves jaded kids to lose hope in democracy. I'm not sure if there ever will be a vote however, and the whole project sounds like a lot of this project could hinge on the megalomaniac that is councillor Vaughn.

Last edited:
These buildings look iconic. However, if they're not going to have a ground level which is engaging and warm and inviting then I don't want it!!!!
Please please architects let us enjoy the view as we are walking down these streets. Please!!!!

Stunning update - now the project looks like 3 towers materializing, solidifying...and rising out of a cloud (or more like "fog"). I particularly enjoyed how the wisps climbs up the towers - if Gehry and his team finds a way of making it happen, it can honestly become a real icon (not the jingoistic hype you get from the typical condo marketing materials)

BTW did anyone read the ground floor plan posted in the update in a bit more detail? It's kind of odd that the entrance to the Mirvish Gallery is a tiny thing off Pearl Street. That can't be right.

rpeters:

But I think in this case, the people who live in the ward should not have more of a say than other residents of the municipality of Toronto. This is downtown we're talking about, it's not just another residential neighbourhood, it's an area meant for monuments and public art and tall buildings. If the majority of toronto residents want this built I think the naysayers should step aside or risk becoming just another special interest group that leaves jaded kids to lose hope in democracy. I'm not sure if there ever will be a vote however, and the whole project sounds like a lot of this project could hinge on the megalomaniac that is councillor Vaughn.

Honestly though, I think the project is probably safer in Vaughan's hand than anyone else. His early, visible and arguably direct involvement in the project is a pretty clear sign - and quite frankly, given the sheer number of towers directly abutting other residences approved at the community council level in downtown wards, it's a pretty weak argument for someone to accuse them of being overwhelming NIMBY when you have Doug Ford coming out against adding a tower at 10s to a local strip mall redevelopment (Humbertown).

As to the matter of democracy - the majority of residents couldn't care one way or another, so does that make those who are for the project another "special interest group"? Which we are, BTW. And sorry, disempowering local residents, however irrational they might be, is certainly the mechanism for creating jadedness. Not to say that there aren't situations and circumstances that warrant such a course of action, but 3 towers isn't a very good case for that, especially when the city as a whole is pretty tepid about this issue.

AoD

Last edited:
I love the way this stretch of King Street is now. I don't like that fact that such a project, the announcement of which is an occasion that should have been met with a lot of happiness and acclaim, has been fraught and made partial because of where Mr. Mirvish is insisting it go.

Looking at this latest incarnation, I'm more excited than I was initially about seeing it go up. However, it doesn't negate the fact that this strip of King Street is wonderful, a loveable and yes, important foil to all the machine-scale new construction going up around it. People who say it's not worth spending time on might want to take a look at Butcher's Block behind the Shangri-la, or at the home at Sherbourne and Adelaide, what rehab has done there. Then there's the matter of the Princess Of Wales Theatre. It seems Mr. Mirvish wants to be thanked for what he gives but never criticized for what he takes away - things that people have made matter in the interim.

Maybe a positive compromise would work:
For one, have Mr. Mirvish build a new theatre. It needn't be quite as large as The Princess Of Wales was, but still have it be handsome and workable. It could go on a nearby parking lot, or off towards the distillery district or St. Lawrence Market, or even on Queens Quay East near Corus and Monde. Heaven knows that area could use a jump start. Secondly, dismantle the King Street building's facades and move them east of Yonge and rebuild them, with new interiors. Maybe move them down to Bayfront: Bonnycastle street near George Brown looks like it might suit them. They would look good down by the water, especially since King Street was very nearly at the shoreline itself once.

It's getting foolish to turn down what is becoming a spectacular project. However, it is also foolish to deny our history or any preservation of it as being soft-headed, bleeding-heart or sentimental. Surely something wonderful could be done here to save our history in some form, while keeping what was thought to be lost. It would be win-win-win all around.

+2

We can find a solution, but it will require that extra effort.... like many wonderful things do.

Any updates from the community consultation meeting yesterday?

I'm sure Interchange42 will have an article up soon on the details of the presentation and meeting with David Mirvish, Adam Vaughan & Craig Webb regarding the project, discussion on the evolution of the project (including previous design concepts that retained heritage features & PoW) and some of the comments/concerns from the community.... No one from the UT super-tall fan club appeared to make a deputation.

We will have three stories on the front page over the coming days. There is a huge amount of detail from the evening to present.

I'm not sure if there ever will be a vote however, and the whole project sounds like a lot of this project could hinge on the megalomaniac that is councillor Vaughn.

1) Vaughan is a megalomaniac? He is not without opinion, but he is the most thoroughly knowledgable councillor I have run into over several years of attending these meetings now, so he comes by his opinion honestly. You should attend one of these events, for any project.

These buildings look iconic. However, if they're not going to have a ground level which is engaging and warm and inviting then I don't want it!!!!
Please please architects let us enjoy the view as we are walking down these streets. Please!!!!

Craig Webb talked last week at OCAD and last night at Metro Hall about the attention they are paying to the street realm. That will be in one of the upcoming front page articles.

BTW did anyone read the ground floor plan posted in the update in a bit more detail? It's kind of odd that the entrance to the Mirvish Gallery is a tiny thing off Pearl Street. That can't be right.

That is one of two entrances (with a direct elevator). The main entrance will be via escalators up to an atrium from King Street.

... and the whole project sounds like a lot of this project could hinge on the megalomaniac that is councillor Vaughn.

First of all, it's Vaughan. Second of all, the reason that "megalomaniac" has had so much success as a politician (and acclaim as a city-builder) is because he consults the community and considers each proposal with a critical eye. That's solid democracy. He's involved in the entire process from start to finish, whether you agree with his opinions every time or not.

I suppose several of you in this thread think you could have success as a city councillor by approving of each development as-is without any community consultations or critiques?

Do I agree with all of his opinions and decisions? Absolutely not! But please don't throw around words when you're simply bitter because you disagree with him. Speaking of delusions of grandeur and omnipotence, UT isn't short of such things...

Last edited:
If the majority of toronto residents want this built I think the naysayers should step aside or risk becoming just another special interest group that leaves jaded kids to lose hope in democracy. I'm not sure if there ever will be a vote however, and the whole project sounds like a lot of this project could hinge on the megalomaniac that is councillor Vaughn.

Four decades ago, the "this" you might be speaking of is the Spadina Expressway, and the "megalomaniac councillor Vaughan" you might be speaking of is Adam's father Colin. Just warning you.

Back