Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

My thoughts exactly. The more I see and think about this project, the less I want it to be realized. Unless the Great Man can come up with something that he didn't pull from his bag of overused gimmicks, I would rather the city not be stuck with something that we'll come to regret and not be unable to modify in any way.

Maybe call it "overplaying one's card". That is, once it's clear what the outcry from heritage groups etc might be, go all-out to create something that'll prove, oh so emphatically, that By Gosh, This *Is* Worth Sacrificing The Existing Frontage For...

That maquette is far from being a realizable project. They are "inspirational" at this point, very abstract. If it doesn't yet look polished to you, or pretty, or whatever you want from it, that's because it's not yet… and it boggles my mind somewhat when the toilet paper comment rears its ugly face again. Exercise some imagination!

Anyway, the plan is evolving—many maquettes have been made—and we'll have a more up-to-date one next week for (some of) you to get overly literal about.

Woohoo!

For once Hume does not trash a large development, and actually likes this..:)

Architect Frank Gehry and impresario David Mirvish would change face of Toronto
More important is what happens at ground level where a five-storey podium will address the street and create a public realm, something Gehry holds dear despite his reputation as an icon-maker.

“The podium will be a single architectural expression,” Gehry’s associate and amanuensis, Craig Webb, said in Toronto last week. “Frank wants it to reinforce the cultural flavour of the neighbourhood and activate the space around the project. He also wants it to look like a cloud. Now we have to figure out how to make that.”

The tower-on-the-podium model is familiar to Torontonians; it has been the template for condo development for years. As well as looking like a cloud, the base of Mirvish’s complex will include a major cultural component, the Princess of Wales Centre for the Visual Arts. Mirvish’s intention is to display his large collection of abstract art, specifically Colour Field painting, and to create a place of study.

“Art is a portrait of a community,” says Mirvish. “I want to give each artist his space and provide the opportunity for people to experience a moment in history, the second half of the 20th century.”

Not often does a city get an offer like that. Art and architecture; the best of both.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...irvish_would_change_face_of_toronto_hume.html

Is everyone seeing the same model? That podium looks gorgeous if everything is done exactly as is shown (ie setbacks with trees, large panels of glass, large pieces of artwork, etc). I think everyone needs to realize that "toilet paper" is not construction material. It will obviously be replaced by glass or something in that shape, which I think will look great.

Agreed. I don't get why everyone is bashing the "toilet paper" design. After all the boxy, uninspiring, unimaginative podiums we have in the city and in the core, you are actually bashing something that looks different? Obviously it isn't the final design and obviously it's probably going to be done with materials that will probably look better than the stuff used in the renders.

Agreed. I don't get why everyone is bashing the "toilet paper" design. After all the boxy, uninspiring, unimaginative podiums we have in the city and in the core, you are actually bashing something that looks different? Obviously it isn't the final design and obviously it's probably going to be done with materials that will probably look better than the stuff used in the renders.

+1! If this project looked like every other mundane glass box in the city, those same people would be complaining why can't we get something that looks different? :rolleyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the renders!

Guys; remember the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? It applies to architecture to, some people prefer more conservative design choices over the much bolder ideas.

Did anyone stop to consider that "toilet paper" could just well wind up being a term of affection? (Hey, looking further, it might compliment past comparisons to Revell's City Hall to a toilet)

Guys; remember the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? It applies to architecture to, some people prefer more conservative design choices over the much bolder ideas.

Agreed. However, this beholder thinks that if the 3 buildings come off as is, or close too, then they will be stunning. As for conservative designs, all one need do is walk down any street with new condos and they can enjoy to their hearts content.

I just wanted to remind everyone that there's a community meeting today regarding this project:

Date: February 19 2013
Time: 6:30-9pm

Mirvish/Gehry King St Development Planning Meeting

I would like to invite you to the second public meeting about the Mirvish/Gehry development proposal on King St W.

When: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Time: 6:30 – 7:00 pm – open house to view plans, 7:00 – 9:00 pm – presentation and Q+A

At the first meeting, held on December 11, 2012, we collected your feedback about the questions that must be reviewed as part of this development application, over and above the normal process for planning applications.

Thank you to those of you who attended and provided your feedback about the questions that must be asked regarding community services and amenities, height, density, shadow, heritage, traffic, transit, public realm, infrastructure, construction staging, etc. That feedback will help to inform the review and assessment of this application.

At this upcoming meeting, we plan to review the development proposal in greater detail with the applicant in attendance. Join me and City staff to hear about the details of the proposal and provide your feedback.

Can some one make sure tonight that the question gets asked as to why the condo corps are going to be subsidizing the Mirvish Gallery space as Mr. Mirvish stated in his television interview in December? I hope that some folks stand up and state that this is all wrong to burden a condo corp with a third-party "private" space, regardless if they let the public or students in for free or not!

400Wellington:

Did he mean that the sale price of the units translate into a subsidy for the space? Or is he referring to a portion of the monthly fees going into subsidy for the non-residential components of the project? Beyond that, if it is the latter - if the buyer is aware of this subsidy, and provided their informed consent, then there is nothing really "wrong" with it.

AoD

400Wellington:

Did he mean that the sale price of the units translate into a subsidy for the space? Or is he referring to a portion of the monthly fees going into subsidy for the non-residential components of the project? Beyond that, if it is the latter - if the buyer is aware of this subsidy, and provided their informed consent, then there is nothing really "wrong" with it.

AoD

Not sure, it sounds like monthly condo fees will go to this subsidy. The problem is that most buyers will not be aware of it or even care, as 50% of condos in king west are being tenanted, so off-site owners don't care as long as the rent cheque comes in. It's just a sly way to subsidize a man's ego and show off his art collection. Like I said before, if he is so wealthy to have this collection, and the money he is going to make off of this development, then pay for it yourself Mr. Mirvish!

My concern is still, among other things, that we are getting another ROM here: a building designed primarily based on a "vision" as opposed to a design that is developed based on functional concerns in tandem with engaging aesthetics. I'm never as impressed with such designs.

The design for the towers themselves will be very interesting to see develop and change. I'd love to see something more concrete than these parti models we're getting.

Back