Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

I wonder if this means M+G will get a PATH connection since 212 King is getting one?
M+G would only get one by going under a street, either King from the Metro Hall Concourse (and I'm under the impression that services under the street there make that challenging, or under Pearl, as anything extending from 212 King would have to go around Theatre Parc… and that's rather unlikely.

I don't know why Toronto always reduces the heights, why can't we have tall building like New York or Shanghai.

There are many reasons. We aren't a city of 20 million, nor a city with a natural harbour to the ocean, nor a city where land values previously were such that that kind of density was needed to meet profit requirements for builds. We had an abundance of under improved land. There are other reasons.

Still, the city is changing. Note the increasing densities and heights over the last 20 years for instance.

cheers to the day we get a 400 meter building
It's the curse of the CN Tower's observation deck area being at a height of over 342 metres for observing . That's one of the reasons in my opinion why the city core area around the tower. Will not raise the buildings too high above 300 meters let alone 400. But it can probably happen further away from the tower. Like Yorkville, East Harbour maybe the Eglinton Avenue in the future .

It's the curse of the CN Tower's observation deck area being at a height of over 342 metres for observing . That's one of the reasons in my opinion why the city core area around the tower. Will not raise the buildings too high above 300 meters let alone 400. But it can probably happen further away from the tower. Like Yorkville, East Harbour maybe the Eglinton Avenue in the future .
Well it's going to happen sooner than later in the financial district which i believe still has a couple pockets avoiding red tape without height limits,
....it's also far enough from the CN Tower...no need to go to Timbuktu

Last edited:
I don't know why Toronto always reduces the heights, why can't we have tall building like New York or Shanghai.
What I find interesting is not only the peaks but the general strong trend towards height increase. Less than twenty years ago Pantages Tower raised a few eyebrows at 140m followed by slightly taller condos at City Place. By my count we've got at least 10 buildings in toronto over 200m in construction. Looking forward if they build only a fraction of what is currently proposed we won't recognize the skyline in 2030 (yes we will thanks to Koops).

Last edited:
The CN Tower has a second observation deck at 446.5 metres.

There are many reasons. We aren't a city of 20 million, nor a city with a natural harbour to the ocean, nor a city where land values previously were such that that kind of density was needed to meet profit requirements for builds. We had an abundance of under improved land. There are other reasons.

Still, the city is changing. Note the increasing densities and heights over the last 20 years for instance.
Which part of the city do you think can support a building over 350 metres?

Back