Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Where were all these people when better looking warehouses were being destroyed for lesser replacements.

I'm now focused on who was responsible for allowing the warehouses to get built - what was nedlessly replaced at the time? And cn we find the rubble?

This is a very large, exceptional proposal, but I think that means that we need to take exceptional care with it. There is clearly a middle ground to be found, or rather, that must be found.

No one disagrees "exceptional care" must be taken. But "middle ground" is a worrisome goal. Others might say that exceptional care implies delivering exactly what Gehry proposes without watered down, middle ground, compromises.

maybe build a skyscraper that looks like one giant ware house to keep them happy. now that would be an eyesore. or would it be? as so many are in favour of keeping them around. i dont get it if it was once a warehose as it was intended to be why are they now appartments and condos if a ware house is what you guys want. im confused. fight for the watehouses to stay warehpuses other wise why keep it if it is not what it was intended to be in the first place.

maybe build a skyscraper that looks like one giant ware house to keep them happy. now that would be an eyesore. or would it be? as so many are in favour of keeping them around. i dont get it if it was once a warehose as it was intended to be why are they now appartments and condos if a ware house is what you guys want. im confused. fight for the watehouses to stay warehpuses other wise why keep it if it is not what it was intended to be in the first place.
ahaha, cool post.

Nobody wants to keep them for the sake of being warehouses. The interest is in maintaining some historical character and sense of scale in a neighbourhood that is becoming inundated with bland condos (although this development is an exception). All of the surviving former warehouses in the area have been converted into offices and lofts (there's a lucrative market for brick & beam living/working spaces). Many are envious of cities like New York, Chicago, and many cities in Europe that have ample stock of buildings this age, and there's an understandable level of desperation to cling to what we have left.

Last edited:
basically, every one of the people on this forum has been whining about having world-renowned architecture in this city for years. then when frank gehry decides to build one of his greatest works here they whine about preserving some nondescript buildings. what it all boils down to is that people on this forum like to complain about everything.

basically, every one of the people on this forum has been whining about having world-renowned architecture in this city for years. then when frank gehry decides to build one of his greatest works here they whine about preserving some nondescript buildings. what it all boils down to is that people on this forum like to complain about everything.
I think what it boils down to is that there's a few thousand people on this forum and not everyone is going to agree. People that are "complaining" about the heritage buildings aren't necessarily (though they can be) the same people that are crying for world-renowned architecture. Also, people that are complaining are more likely to post than people that could care less one way or the other.

I like the three towers. I'm not convinced of the podium. I'd like to see Gehry play the cards he's been dealt and work with the designated heritage buildings. That's all.

now that i totally agree with using them as a part of the design is a much better idea. that way everyones happy. though again shadows will eventually be brought up.. oops. i just brought it up. now discuss.

I like the three towers. I'm not convinced of the podium. I'd like to see Gehry play the cards he's been dealt and work with the designated heritage buildings. That's all.

I would disagree....messing with the amazing podium that Gehry has proposed would be a travesty, imo...I would shed no tears at all to see the warehouses and the theatre go....I believe this project is worth it..

Just a question, how many of the greatest examples of world architecture were required to refurbish, facade-in, or otherwise include pre-exisiting buildings. Would we all be happier if there was a warehouse in the TD Centre or Commerce Court?

Give Gehry a clean slate, he's earned it (and we've earned it). There are more than enough of the other sort of projects happening.

And dont reference Hagia Sophia.

Just a question, how many of the greatest examples of world architecture were required to refurbish, facade-in, or otherwise include pre-exisiting buildings. Would we all be happier if there was a warehouse in the TD Centre or Commerce Court?

Give Gehry a clean slate, he's earned it (and we've earned it). There are more than enough of the other sort of projects happening.

+1

watch out, you've left yourself open to attack from a pedant because there is indeed a heritage structure built into one of the TD buildings.

These so-called heritage warehouse buildings in question are actually holding back this stretch of King. They were not designed or built to perform the kind of street front engagement that is required. That's why the most interesting thing on that stretch is a Tim Hortons you have to access via stairs. They would have to be altered so much to become usable that any "heritage" value would be compromised. So what's the point?

This block of King needs to build on the momentum of first rate venues that are the reason we call this the Entertainment District....RTH, Royal Alex, the many big events that take place in the square across the street, TIFF, Restaurant Row.

I'd bulldoze those dead zone buildings for a lot less than what is proposed.

There's a lot of momentum in this area...I like what's going on. It's greyfield development at it's finest (to borrow a phrase). There are lots of old buildings in this area that are going to remain...it will not lose it's "warehouse" district look or feel at all. The larger, finer ones will remain, and the parking lots and lesser buildings will be transformed.

Back