Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

^ +1. Toronto will never be world class without at least 10 express lanes in the downtown core. Seriously, I'm all for M-G, but some of these arguments are just getting ridiculous. Toronto is world-class whether or not you like to think so, and definitely despite the fate of these buildings.

Toronto use to be a world class city in 70's and 80's but now it sucks. even cities like Mumbai and Seoul are having better skyscrapers and system than Toronto.

building more than 150 skyscrapers is not a big deal because most of them are freaking dead coffins. if the most of them would have been unique and marvels, it would have been a bid deal.

Toronto world class? Based on what? What makes this place world class. I think some of you need to visit cities outside of Toronto. Most of Toronto looks like a shit hole, even the so called nice parts. We need to open our eyes and work on improving our city instead of deluding ourselves.

Toronto looks like a small muffin in front of those big cakes like Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, NY city, Tokyo, Malaysia. etc.

Toronto looks like a small muffin in front of those big cakes like Dubai, Shanghai, Hong Kong, NY city, Tokyo, Malaysia. etc.

We lack vision in this city and it manifests itself in everything from our architecture to transit to even the ugly wooden utility and hydro poles with overhead wiring all over our city. We elect a useless crackhead like Rob Ford and even with all these scandals he still has a 40% approval rating.

Look at the kind of train stations they are building in London and this is a city with good transportation networks:

article-1101273-02426DDA000005DC-18_468x286.jpg

Do you think something like this can be built here? Never in our lifetimes.

So this is not about Mirvish/Gehry after all, but about your self-loathing and urban penis envy.

(The old City of) Toronto is easily one of the greatest cities in the world, and failing to realise this just shows where your priorities are. The old downtown warehouses that embarrass you so much are an infinitely greater source of progress and innovation than these skyscraper condo projects. You would probably see that too if you got past your self-conscious hatred.

So this is not about Mirvish/Gehry after all, but about your self-loathing and urban penis envy.

(The old City of) Toronto is easily one of the greatest cities in the world, and failing to realise this just shows where your priorities are. The old downtown warehouses that embarrass you so much are an infinitely greater source of progress and innovation than these skyscraper condo projects. You would probably see that too if you got past your self-conscious hatred.
According to who?

I propose a compromise! Toronto isn't the greatest city ever and the pro-Gehry pushers have a significant urban penis envy faction as well!

God the hyperbole from both sides in this debate is sickening. "Easily one of the greatest cities in the world?" Come now, Toronto's a nice place and all but it can't even maintain a rational political culture. Similarly, while the Gehry towers would look amazing I'm sure (assuming Gehry can avoid the Cheapening while working with a completely inexperienced developer in a city where projects are regularly cheapened), the effects on the neighbourhood would be massive and require (god forbid!) careful thinking about this potential impact.

The anti-Gehry posters are glossing over Toronto's inadequacies to claim we're good enough without. The pro-Gehry posters are glossing over Toronto's inadequacies to say we can handle this or treating this development as a silver bullet for all our problems. I suppose the only thing I can conclude from this is that each side is a different kind of delusional.

God the hyperbole from both sides in this debate is sickening. "Easily one of the greatest cities in the world?" Come now, Toronto's a nice place and all but it can't even maintain a rational political culture.

If you read my post carefully, I specified "(the Old City of) Toronto", which consistently elects, at the municipal level, some of the most competent and progressive politicians in the world, by far.

The amalgamated suburbs are certainly not great by any standard, but neither are Queens or most other 'great city' suburbs.

, I specified "(the Old City of) Toronto", which consistently elects, at the municipal level, some of the most competent and progressive politicians in the world, .

Hmmm, Adam Vaughan, Paula Fletcher, Gordon Perks, Shelly Carroll, Kristyn Wong-Tam, Pam McConnell, Michael Layton, Joe Mihevc, etc ...I see where you're coming from:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hmmm, Adam Vaughan, Paula Fletcher, Gordon Perks, Shelly Carroll, Kristyn Wong-Tam, Pam McConnell, Michael Layton, Joe Mihevc, etc ...I see where you're coming from:rolleyes:

Shelley Carroll isn't part of (the Old City of) Toronto. (And technically, neither is Mihevc, being formerly of York Council.)

And such was my point earlier. All these people hailing the newfangled stuff they're building in London, but who'd be absolutely STOOPID. STOOPID. STOOPID. STOOPID. STOOPID. at beholding anything in London, or New York, or wherever that's over 20 years old, unless it's some kind of Certified Tourist Landmark or Seagramesque *ooh*! *aah!* proto-starchitecture...

Back