Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Look forward to Mirvish evicting the current tenants and boarding up the buildings. Then we just have to wait a little bit for a mysterious fire to take down the block.

picard:

That would be a rather wrong way to go about it - and besides, I am sure he'd rather have said properties pull dough in given the location while the case works itself through. That said, given the way it was handled at the TEYCC, I wouldn't be surprised that this is a fait accompli. I am sure there will be some symbolic bone thrown around to engender good feelings (maybe some s37 benefits or facade preservation and reuse elsewhere) afterwards so that everyone can make it home to dinner early.

AoD

Regarding the Pennsylvania hotel, it is interesting how similar a situation it is to the one we have here. And I'm happy to see the sturctuture stay, but I would not necessarily advocate to return it to its 'golden age spleandour' as some may want. That is a different tune.

buildup: The precedent this sort of project would set is almost, if not more, significant then the actual buildings themselves. Yes, there are more old warehouses around the city, and in particular the surrounding neighbourhood. Yes, some are even more aesthetically appealing then these few are. However, these are the among the most well-integrated and well-adapted warehouses in the city. They are the most central to the king-spadina district, not physically but culturally. Those that want to protect this district's warehouses which many, including our own Chief Planner, do so because they are so culturally important to the city. Not only do they allude to our industrial and commercial past, but they also represent the many ways they have been reused, a lot of which include some of the many positives identitites we associate with Toronto. The loci of past underground rave scenes, studios of the creative industry, innovative offices, traditional club scenes, media (Much music, Chum), entertainment, etc... So given this strip's cultural importance and geographic significance, the precedent that would be set by razing these to the ground would be enormous. Why would any other warehouses survive, if these were so recklessly destroyed? Many lament the destruction of the St. Lawrence Market and Old Toronto, well, this is essentially the 21st century equivalent.

As for the gang of drill baby drill types, I would suggest you take some time for yourselves to consider what constitutes good city building, perhaps that way you would not develop the perverse desire to see things burn.

Last edited:
You must differentiate between listening to concerns and agreeing with concerns. I assume Mirvish didn't agree with your particular concerns, especially after listening to them.

Yes, you assume in light of not actually knowing. As you were not part of the conversation you are are clueless about the exchange, so spare me the arrogance.

I don't need to hate warehouses to be willing to do this trade. I am amused at the ardent love others suddenly feel.

Of course you are amused - if not actually hostile to those structures being "in the way" to what you want to see.

Why do you assume I love all tall buildings, where do you get that notion?.

You call yourself "buildup." It's not hard to note your commentary on this board.

The precedent this sort of project would set is almost, if not more, significant then the actual buildings themselves. Yes, there are more old warehouses around the city, and in particular the surrounding neighbourhood. Yes, some are even more aesthetically appealing then these few are. However, these are the among the most well-integrated and well-adapted warehouses in the city. They are the most central to the king-spadina district, not physically but culturally. Those that want to protect this district's warehouses which many, including our own Chief Planner, do so because they are so culturally important to the city. Not only do they allude to our industrial and commercial past, but they also represent the many ways they have been reused, a lot of which include some of the many positives identitites we associate with Toronto. The loci of past underground rave scenes, studios of the creative industry, innovative offices, traditional club scenes, media (Much music, Chum), entertainment, etc... So given this strip's cultural importance and geographic significance, the precedent that would be set by razing these to the ground would be enormous. Why would any other warehouses survive, if these were so recklessly destroyed? Many lament the destruction of the St. Lawrence Market and Old Toronto, well, this is essentially the 21st century equivalent.

Well said!

AoD has said it best, "do we always have to default to practicality"? When New York was building the Empire State Building or the Rockefeller Centre or the Chrysler Building, one could easily argue they were building to excess. But in reality they were building the very nature of New York. It built a city full of people with pride, willing to take chances - these buildings were making a statement to the world. Big, Bold, Brash - "If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere".

This project too is designed to make a statement to the world. What would you have it say? “Toronto, - Just enough”? or should the world look at our architecture and say nothing at all?

This project gives a great deal to this city in function, density and facility. It says we are builders, risk takers and people with moxie – just like the CN tower did in its day. Mirvish said he would build another theatre when the demand warrants it. I think we HAVE to build this project or continue to sit at the side of the architectural roadside and watch the world go by. Take a moment to look at the exciting architecture going up around the world. So far, aside from the CN tower and Absolute, we have nothing.

And AoD is also right on when he says “Let Gehry worry about ideas and practicality - that's his job as an architect.”

Couldn't agree more! Well said. The Gehry towers will be world famous once complete.

Last edited:
Regarding the Pennsylvania hotel, it is interesting how similar a situation it is to the one we have here. And I'm happy to see the sturctuture stay, but I would not necessarily advocate to return it to its 'golden age spleandour' as some may want. That is a different tune.

buildup: The precedent this sort of project would set is almost, if not more, significant then the actual buildings themselves. Yes, there are more old warehouses around the city, and in particular the surrounding neighbourhood. Yes, some are even more aesthetically appealing then these few are. However, these are the among the most well-integrated and well-adapted warehouses in the city. They are the most central to the king-spadina district, not physically but culturally. Those that want to protect this district's warehouses which many, including our own Chief Planner, do so because they are so culturally important to the city. Not only do they allude to our industrial and commercial past, but they also represent the many ways they have been reused, a lot of which include some of the many positives identitites we associate with Toronto. The loci of past underground rave scenes, studios of the creative industry, innovative offices, traditional club scenes, media (Much music, Chum), entertainment, etc... So given this strip's cultural importance and geographic significance, the precedent that would be set by razing these to the ground would be enormous. Why would any other warehouses survive, if these were so recklessly destroyed? Many lament the destruction of the St. Lawrence Market and Old Toronto, well, this is essentially the 21st century equivalent.

Is this the slippery slope fallacy? If these warehouses go, they all go? I dont buy that argument. But, your argument is interesting. How would you rate their importance by those criteria to the warehouses immediately West of Spadina (which i consider sacrosanct)?

I think the only thing worth preserving about the Pennsylvania Hotel is the phone number, and since it was immortalized in song 70-odd years ago, it seems safe.

As someone who has stayed in the hotel recently - I wouldn't miss it at all. It wasn't fit for my dog - never mind humans

lets face it toronto is filled with ugly buildings and is not world class. it doesn't look like world class, doesn't have world class transit or express lanes. But if toronto wants to become(in my opinion will never) world class, the first thing they can do for starters is build these towers! Pronto

Toronto is one of the greatest cities in the world. This city can build towers by the greatest architects on its own terms and in accordance with its established urban planning goals.

lets face it toronto is filled with ugly buildings and is not world class. it doesn't look like world class, doesn't have world class transit or express lanes. But if toronto wants to become(in my opinion will never) world class, the first thing they can do for starters is build these towers! Pronto

Great point... when are we going to get some world class express lanes?

Back