FIVE Condos by Marcanadian, on Flickr

More than any other, this particular image makes me want to line a half dozen people up and hand out medals to them. They work for Mod, Graywood, ERA, and the restoration contractors.

This is going to be the most scrutinized stretch of Yonge for a couple of years, and it's going to bring about some changes to the rest.

Had a look through the beginning of this thread to find a "before" photo:
These buildings occupy Yonge near St. Joseph. I'm not sure what's going to happen to them but I'd hate to lose the one on the corner.

arch012.jpg

Quite a transformation.

Need signage by-laws to go along with the restorations.

Indeed. Signage has played a role in enhancing many great pedestrian environments, even Yonge Street of yore...

20101227-1903-Yonge_Street_looking_north_from_Temperance.jpg

Attachments

• 20101227-1903-Yonge_Street_looking_north_from_Temperance.jpg
    20101227-1903-Yonge_Street_looking_north_from_Temperance.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 735
Would be great if Yonge could get cleaned up. I have no idea why it was ever allowed to become such a mess. The street has so much potential.

So how do we incentivize building owners to do this kind of restoration work? If we rely on condo developers to buy up the buildings and do the restoration then we're unlikely to get back the vast majority of shops that make up the character of Yonge st.

they will do it to attract higher end retail tenants. Let a couple of condos come in to gentrify the area, and the rest of them will be renoed. We are sort of already seeing it with Aura, There is an old building across the street getting restored..

It's a double edged sword really. Successful revitalization projects such as this will increase rents which it make it difficult for little boutiques to exist or endure. Hopefully development at Yonge and Bloor will encourage the spread of Yorkville retail south along Yonge which will give future businesses here a fighting chance.

Five was feasible because of the condo tower, justifying the restorations. It would be nice to see this approach with other properties along this stretch. It adds density, retains the pedestrian experience at street level, and preserves heritage facades. Seems like a nice approach for this stretch of a very important street.

that block reminds me of SOHO in NYC. yonge has so much potential after having seen what lies beneath that façade.

It's a double edged sword really. Successful revitalization projects such as this will increase rents which it make it difficult for little boutiques to exist or endure. Hopefully development at Yonge and Bloor will encourage the spread of Yorkville retail south along Yonge which will give future businesses here a fighting chance.

Indeed, one big disappointment was that RBC was one of the tenants, which may very well suck up a good chunk of the storefronts. Replication of that across multiple sites will be not helpful to the strip.

AoD

Plus, the buildings don't need to be revamped as much as these ones with FIVE. Just cleaned up. Paint and some new windows can go a long way.

Back