Toronto Five St Joseph | 160.93m | 48s | Five St. Joseph | Hariri Pontarini

I enjoy a lot of colours and grey isn't one of them because grey doesn't seem to be a colour as opposed to a complete lack of one. White is a colour, black is a colour whereas grey is sort of a non-colour where you build something and if you avoid colour then grey is what it turns out to be. I don't think grey was a choice of colour but rather a choice of not having any colour at all.

Grey is the colour you choose when you have no creativity and you want to be safe. That's why it's a choice for many people when it comes to clothing or interior design. It's not loved or hated, it's just kind of tolerated because you can mix any colour with it and it won't clash. That's all it is, is boring and safe. Most artists I know hate the colour. When I do a painting and all my colours mix into each other, that's what I end up with, an ugly shade of grey! Artists use grey to please the conservative, timid, safe public, not to please themselves.

Boring, safe and timid, that kind of describes Toronto, especially our politicians and developers/business people. I guess it's no surprise that it dominates this city.

Last edited:
Grey is the colour you choose when you have no creativity and you want to be safe. That's why it's a choice for many people when it comes to clothing or interior design. It's not loved or hated, it's just kind of tolerated because you can mix any colour with it and it won't clash. That's all it is, is boring and safe. Most artists I know hate the colour. When I do a painting and all my colours mix into each other, that's what I end up with, an ugly shade of grey! Artists use grey to please the conservative, timid, safe public, not to please themselves.

Boring, safe and timid, that kind of describes Toronto, especially our politicians and developers/business people. I guess it's no surprise that it dominates this city.

Could have not said it any better.

He's also said it on about 5 different threads tonight

6o4bN1g.jpg

lEkM6JY.jpg

The contrast between the restored block and the rest of the block immediately to the south is particularly noticeable in the second photo.

If all of Yonge Street (between College and Bloor) looked like this along with wider sidewalks and nice paving...the thought gets me so giddy I don't even know how to describe it...we'd be in a great place.

The restored properties look great! Now do the rest of Yonge street.

I know it's a completely different area, but a similar old block at the NW corner of Dundas St. W and Keele has just been completely restored....looks fantastic. Didn't have a camera last time I drove by.

That looks really great, thanks for posting those photos. I agree, I wish the rest of those era of buildings along Yonge St. could be brought up to this standard.

Back