Hamilton FirstOntario Centre Renovations | ?m | 4s | OVG | BBB

I think it's actually technically 49 years. I am not sure what the motivation would be for an exterior reno, even if this proves successful.
Being more attractive? There's something to be said about attending a nice looking place. There's a reason people go to shitty restaurants with nice atmosphere over places with great food that have fluorescent flickering lights and grey & stained linoleum.

Being more attractive? There's something to be said about attending a nice looking place. There's a reason people go to shitty restaurants with nice atmosphere over places with great food that have fluorescent flickering lights and grey & stained linoleum.
Fair, but still sounds like a pretty challenged business case. There probably isn't that much bang for the buck for anything beyond the basic spruce-up.

The article says they're taking a “music-first approach", but the problem is that there's only a limited amount of things that can be done with an arena built for hockey and its seating configuration.
The first concert I went to at Maple Leaf Gardens as a kid was with tickets bought for us by a friend who had told us "I got great seats -- floors!"
But these were floors Row ZZ (or something like that), so we saw nothing except the backs of the people in front of us standing on their seats for the whole show.

Yeah, I never understood the attraction to floor seats... even if you're close to the stage. There's always someone taller than you that's in the way and you're almost guaranteed to be standing the whole concert.
Back in the day I would always get regular arena/stadium seats not too far up - and no one is ever in your view and you aren't always standing up.

Nowadays I only like small intimate concert venues (ie. 2,000 seats or less). Much better sound and a closer view of the stage. Luckily, the artists I've been listening to the last 20+ years aren't popular enough to play in arenas/stadiums - so I haven't missed out on anything.

Fair, but still sounds like a pretty challenged business case. There probably isn't that much bang for the buck for anything beyond the basic spruce-up.
There might not be much ROI on an exterior renovation for the people footing the bill, but it would certainly improve the aesthetics in the downtown core.
Slapping a coat of paint is the bare minimum, but I'll wait to pass judgement (or MORE judgement) until after it's done. I could be surprised and find it acceptable enough. A fresh coat of paint in a darker color will certainly be an improvement - so it's not nothing.

There might not be much ROI on an exterior renovation for the people footing the bill, but it would certainly improve the aesthetics in the downtown core.
Slapping a coat of paint is the bare minimum, but I'll wait to pass judgement (or MORE judgement) until after it's done. I could be surprised and find it acceptable enough. A fresh coat of paint in a darker color will certainly be an improvement - so it's not nothing.
Coat of paint, new signage. Obviously would prefer more, but I think it will be good enough.

I'm a little concerned what that new massive concert venue at Downsview is going to do to the viability of this project. Will Hamilton still be able to secure big names?

I'm a little concerned what that new massive concert venue at Downsview is going to do to the viability of this project. Will Hamilton still be able to secure big names?
It might. But it will only be open for the summer months and only host mega-concerts. I am also worried about the renovation of the Budweiser Stage to have an expanded capacity for 20,000 in outdoor mode and a capacity of 9000 in indoor mode, which will presumably make it a year-round venue. All of a sudden there will be a lot more capacity for concerts of varying sizes in Toronto.

It might. But it will only be open for the summer months and only host mega-concerts. I am also worried about the renovation of the Budweiser Stage to have an expanded capacity for 20,000 in outdoor mode and a capacity of 9000 in indoor mode, which will presumably make it a year-round venue. All of a sudden there will be a lot more capacity for concerts of varying sizes in Toronto.
I totally forgot about the Bud expansion. Yeah.

I am just hoping they really execute inside very well, but I am most excited about how others are going to invest around the Arena (will it be branded TD, Tim Hortons, or my ironically favourite Air Canada). With rates coming down, should be no excuses not to see some complimentary investment to make this area come alive.

I am just hoping they really execute inside very well, but I am most excited about how others are going to invest around the Arena (will it be branded TD, Tim Hortons, or my ironically favourite Air Canada). With rates coming down, should be no excuses not to see some complimentary investment to make this area come alive.
They could name it the Air Canada Coliseum, or ACC for short

Back