Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

At the very end of today's Council meeting, Councillor Wong-Tam mentioned an update about the First Parliament Site and the Ontario Line in relation to her two motions (MM35.30 and MM35.31). One of the motions was for staff report and the earliest it can be available is October 2021. Both motions were adopted by Council. She commented that the Building Transit Faster Act allows the Province to take land from municipalities with zero compensation. Apparently the Province already has the keys forthe First Parliament Site. According to the Councillor, apparently the Province already has the keys for the First Parliament Site.

Time marked link:

The City Master Plan is now posted but, of course, this is a fantasy as Metrolinx are in the final stages of expropriating the site! I suppose we may see some vague 'shadows' of it when they announce their plan!

One feature of the City plan is/was a New District Library to replace the St Lawrence Branch. As the Library needs to be built sooner than later, I gather that other sites are now under consideration (among them the Fire Station at Front & Princess where a combined Fire Station, District Library and affordable housing is a possibility.)

As someone who lives close (but not directly adjacent to) that fire hall at Front and Princess, I can't image living directly on top of it.

This would have been a great place for the very outdated St. Lawrence branch Library though. Hopefully they find some way to force it in.

The City Master Plan is now posted but, of course, this is a fantasy as Metrolinx are in the final stages of expropriating the site! I suppose we may see some vague 'shadows' of it when they announce their plan!

One feature of the City plan is/was a New District Library to replace the St Lawrence Branch. As the Library needs to be built sooner than later, I gather that other sites are now under consideration (among them the Fire Station at Front & Princess where a combined Fire Station, District Library and affordable housing is a possibility.)

Not that different from the high-rise format in the report. Seriously this is what happens when the city took their sweet time with this project.

AoD

Green P beside the car wash has signs up about closing after Sept. 24th, the Nissan is cleared out now. Looks like survey equipment is on site. Are they moving on this sooner than later?

A4B50C4B-F278-415B-A609-4A757C913D55.jpeg
4A3CF517-83BE-4FC9-AED0-437432EF1248.jpeg
F60C772E-6389-435F-99CF-1E0D26E568FE.jpeg
6EFD3861-A5C6-4F62-85A8-43E04EF96C53.jpeg

What's the "first" parliament in Newark (today's Niagara-On-The-Lake)?

From link.

The first elections in Upper Canada, in which only land-owning males were permitted to vote, were held in August 1792. The first session of the Assembly's sixteen members occurred in Newark, Upper Canada on 17 September 1792. Shortly before the capital of Upper Canada was moved to York in 1796 the Assembly was dissolved and reconvened for twelve more sessions between 1797 and 1840 in modest buildings in the new capital. Members continued to be elected by land-owning males to represent counties and the larger towns.

During the War of 1812, American troops set fire to the buildings of the Assembly.
Those damn American "tourists" again. Just because the British "tourists" burned Washington, D.C..

What are the odds they do demo and the site sits as a fenced in dirt pile for years? (I’m looking at you, proposed data centre across the street)

Tbh, I’m still skeptical the Ontario line is getting built.

What are the odds they do demo and the site sits as a fenced in dirt pile for years? (I’m looking at you, proposed data centre across the street)

Tbh, I’m still skeptical the Ontario line is getting built.
I mean construction starts in a matter of days so I’m not sure why you are doubtful.

it’s early staging works starting, but work nonetheless. Actual construction is expected to begin next year.

I believe this will be the tunnel bore launch site from what I remember so it will be one of the first sites to start up for the subway. I imagine early works will include demolition and an archeological dig, then the site might sit empty for a few months before full construction starts.

Those plans are from March and a lot has happened since then. The City and IO and Metrolinx continue negotiating on exactly what will be there and at what height. (That said, the rendering with acres of greenspace does not seem to correlate very well with the actual plan and the massing shown!)

Those plans are from March and a lot has happened since then. The City and IO and Metrolinx continue negotiating on exactly what will be there and at what height. (That said, the rendering with acres of greenspace does not seem to correlate very well with the actual plan and the massing shown!)

The "rendering" is garbage to start - fading the second building at the back as if it is so far away to be blurred by the mists? And the stretched perspective designed to widen the POV? Tsk tsk.

AoD

Last edited:

Back